Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should "bold thankers" be punished?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Des it amazes me how you just jump into threads without reading them and then attempt to link them to me.
    I quoted YOUR post where YOU were talking in absolutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Des wrote: »
    I quoted YOUR post where YOU were talking in absolutes.
    No I wasn't. Read the thread in its entirity. This isn't china Des. It's Feedback. This argument where I'm trying to change Boards is wearing a bit thin at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

No I wasn't. Read the thread in its entirity. This isn't china Des. It's Feedback. This argument where I'm trying to change Boards is wearing a bit thin at this stage.

But it's true, everyone (except you apparently) can see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

But it's true

fullstop wrote: »
    But it's true, everyone (except you apparently) can see that.
    Apparently not.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65785276&postcount=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

:rolleyes:
    That doesn't even make sense what you just did.

Oh look
    , another thread by you trying to change how boards is run.

Abigayle wrote: »
    I agree with Bonito. Thanking posts like that is pretty sly to say the least. Whether its a sly agreement post or because 'it was funny', something should be done about it.

Claiming that the post was funny is only supporting that kind of behaviour, therefore in my view is as equally out of line as the attacker.
    To return to this issue at hand, I agree. There needs to be some set of guidelines set down for this. And there is enough general consensus from first page to take this further IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

To return to this issue at hand, I agree. There needs to be some set of guidelines set down for this. And there is enough general consensus from first page to take this further IMO.

How do you define consensus, if you are using a 20 post per page layout I don't see how you can get a consensus that is in favour from that, the topic was still being discussed with for and against arguements, there doesn't appear to be a clear cut opinion yet (and that is me being kind to the arguement, personally I think it is fairly clear cut that a rule/guideline for this is unworkable)

You are really into guidelines for everything, guidelines for everything would make this a soulless joyless place to be, go and enjoy Boards and stop getting hung up on rules and regulations

@recliner. Given that everyone is responsible for what they post on here, last two paragraphs from Bonito from OP applies.

What about posters who thank these sort of abusive posts because they agree that a certain mod or poster is a such-and-such or a so-and-so? They didn't have the balls to voice their opinion for fear of being banned but when someone else gives their opinion they're hitting the thanks button because they have a clause to get out of a ban because they didn't directly write a post that abused a poster/mod.
    IMO that's an indirect slur of agreement with the abusive poster and it should be punishable. Maybe not to a full ban as the poster gets but a yellow card to remind them that promoting abusive behaviour and cowering behind a post by someone else is not on and wont be tolerated on the site

I'm hoping Bonito still stands by this. Thats my opinion on it anyway.

sots, how do you know the actual reason behind an instance of someone thanking a specific post?

How is a mod to know.

A CMod, or an Admin.

As far as I know, there are no clairvoyants working for Boards.ie

If User A calls User B a "thundering galoot", I might thank that post, not because I also think User B is, in fact, a "thundering galoot", but because I think that is a fairly funny thing to call someone, it's a humourous thing to say.

Now, you'd have me reprimanded for that, because it looks like I'm engaging in passive aggressiveness, when, in fact, I'm showing my appreciation for User A's wordsmithery.

• Advertisement

sots, how do you know the actual reason behind an instance of someone thanking a specific post?

How is a mod to know.

A CMod, or an Admin.

As far as I know, there are no clairvoyants working for Boards.ie

If User A calls User B a "thundering galoot", I might thank that post, not because I also think User B is, in fact, a "thundering galoot", but because I think that is a fairly funny thing to call someone, it's a humorous thing to say.

Now, you'd have me reprimanded for that, because it looks like I'm engaging in passive aggressiveness, when, in fact, I'm showing my appreciation for User A's wordsmithery.

In all honesty, I don't think User A was working on a sonnet when he composed that little ditty:rolleyes:

In all honesty, I don't think User A was working on a sonnet when he composed that little ditty:rolleyes:

No actually, a limerick

There was once a thundering galoot
    Who's point was surely moot
    When it comes to Feedback
    His posting is cack
    And really, I couldn't give a hoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I agree it would be a bridge too far in the policing stakes - sure, it can be used in a malicious way, but I've seen people complaining when a person thanks someone they don't get on with for simply agreeing with a point they've made.

As has been suggested before: if a post is nasty and personal and warranting of reprimand, delete it so it cannot be thanked, but quote it to show what the person has been reprimanded for.

No actually, a limerick

His posting is cack
    Metre all wrong there Des in final line. But think i'll use it in Laughing Gnome home Limerick section if you dont mind. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

SOTS, you can't have rules and regulations for everything. You have to accept that there are some grey areas and more often than not, it's down to common sense and case by case judgement calls. The sooner you accept that the sooner you'll enjoy Boards properly. But reading between the lines, to me it seems you're still annoyed that when Iago banned you people thanked him, and you're using this vaguely similar situation to push your own agenda yet again.

On topic: The Soccer fiasco was the first situation I thought of when I saw the thread title, and that was a huge can of worms. Bad road to go down IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

No actually, a limerick

His posting is cack

Just to clarify, in case it's needed for analysis:

The breakdown of reasons I thanked the post:

35% - thought it was funny
    5% - I like the avatar Des has
    35% - I like how he has made a valid point through the use of comedic poetry
    24% - good to see the correct use of moot instead of "mute"
    1% - I think that he makes a point about the dark underbelly of society, using the limerick to illustrate the danger that lurks behind the facade of polite society.

SOTS, you can't have rules and regulations for everything. You have to accept that there are some grey areas and more often than not, it's down to common sense and case by case judgement calls. The sooner you accept that the sooner you'll enjoy Boards properly. But reading between the lines, to me it seems you're still annoyed that when Iago banned you people thanked him, and you're using this vaguely similar situation to push your own agenda yet again.

On topic: The Soccer fiasco was the first situation I thought of when I saw the thread title, and that was a huge can of worms. Bad road to go down IMO.
    Re the underlined passage, I understand why people would think that because its easy to bump a thread that away. Yeah I was initially annoyed about it but believe me when I say if I wanted to bring it up again I would.
    This was merely relating to the OP and that post. Re the text post. It is down to common sense and judgement call and I think it was probably a bad judgement call not to take further action there.
    common sense says the thankers linked to that post knew exactly the point they were making.
    First page pretty much backs that up. No reason to go any further than that first page re the points that were made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

after consulting with a team of cheerleaders we have unanimously agreed that all arguements for infracting people that thank red carded posts have been blown out of the water.

and just so we are clear:

THANKING POSTS ON BOARDS ISNT REALLY THAT IMPORTANT. THE WHOLE THANKS SYSTEM ISNT THAT IMPORTANT. STOP READING INTO THINGS THAT ARENT THERE

thats what the head cheerleader said to me before i set them free they went home

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this isn't China Des. This is feedback.
    that is an absolutely legendary quote and made me lol. Definately going into my sig in the morning alongside Torres and Rafa.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    that is an absolutely legendary quote and made me lol. Definately going into my sig in the morning alongside Torres and Rafa.
    You have my permission Mr Alan. I quite like it myself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Jazzy wrote: »
    after consulting with a team of cheerleaders we have unanimously agreed that all arguements for infracting people that thank red carded posts have been blown out of the water.

and just so we are clear:

THANKING POSTS ON BOARDS ISNT REALLY THAT IMPORTANT. THE WHOLE THANKS SYSTEM ISNT THAT IMPORTANT. STOP READING INTO THINGS THAT ARENT THERE

thats what the head cheerleader said to me before i set them free they went home

/flips coin at Jazzy

Go on out and get yourself an ice-cream kid, and don't be listening into adults conversations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Abigayle wrote: »
    /flips coin at Jazzy

Go on out and get yourself an ice-cream kid, and don't be listening into adults conversations.

im not wrong tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

My feelings on SOTS oscillate wildly.

Today I love him.

That is all.

flahavaj wrote: »
    My feelings on SOTS oscillate wildly.

Today I love him.

That is all.
    And what exactly did I do today as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

And what exactly did I do today as a matter of interest?

You were you SOTS.

You were you.

flahavaj wrote: »
    You were you SOTS.

You were you.
    Thats a bit of a non answer really. Back to this thread. In this absence of any other examples being provided here will say this. Banned posters reply to the mod was offensive, the second part was an affront to the mother of GR's children.
    The response by two of those who thanked that post in excusing the thanks was insulting.
    To the third of the posters on here and this just relating to that post. The thanking of that post was important. It was out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Thats a bit of a non answer really. Back to this thread. In this absence of any other examples being provided here will say this. Banned posters reply to the mod was offensive, the second part was an affront to the mother of GR's children.
    The response by two of those who thanked that post in excusing the thanks was insulting.
    To the third of the posters on here and this just relating to that post. The thanking of that post was important. It was out of order.

More like a peaceful protest at worst, but probably more just having a giggle at user trying to get themselves banned.

More like a peaceful protest at worst, but probably more just having a giggle at user trying to get themselves banned.
    First line of that statement ( and sure the mod on AH would agree in part) was a bit funny. The second part which brought Ryan's ex wife into it was absolutely shocking.
    Thanking that post meant thanking both parts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

First line of that statement ( and sure the mod on AH would agree in part) was a bit funny. The second part which brought Ryan's ex wife into it was absolutely shocking.
    Thanking that post meant thanking both parts.

I swear I never touched the girl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Feedback mods/admins seem to be on hols.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement