Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x16 "Sabotage" **SPOILERS**

• 08-05-2010 1:43pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hmm, not sure what to think about that one. I enjoyed it, but they seemed to skip over quite a bit. Eli, Scott and Chloe getting back to Destiny was badly done. Just kind of happened. Will we see more of what happened to them? Was a slow episode, but decent overall.

And what happened Franklin?

Bah! Thread fail. Forgot to add a poll.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Have to agree with you, it was stupid the way the got back on board. As for Franklin, he better not have ascended!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I thought it worked well - thought it was pretty good not having another episode of them trying to get back, since we already knew last week the best way they could do that...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I thought this was a poor episode. Some bad dialog and more bloody backround music! Hey Math boy!....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

I reckon he's in statis in some other part of the shape and the ship will call upon when needed.

For all we know the ship has beaming technology :D

P.S

was a rather dull episode till nearing the end :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Not great after last weeks solid ep.
    Said to myself "That's a little too convenient!" far too many times!
    Earth-bound drama felt unnecessary as i do not feel Camille's character is developing at all, and we spent a lot of time watching absolutely nothing happen relative to anything on Destiny.:mad:
    I wonder will it be a 'x amount of months later' job and we'll conveniently be in the next galaxy next ep. Not a lot to do in empty space...
    Unless, of course, they were boarded...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Have to agree with you, it was stupid the way the got back on board. As for Franklin, he better not have ascended!

Yeah, it was a bit ridiculous when they just appeared, they just totally erased that story line in the space of 2 minutes and nothing else was said!

Ascension was actually the first thing that crossed my mind when Franklin disappeared! Like maybe there had been Ancients on the ship at some stage and maybe they had ascended through the use of the chair, rather than Rush's idea that they previously ascended and didn't use the ship.

I wonder if Franklin was more ancient than human there, surely that thing would have done some strange things to his head, plus when he told them to get out he didn't exactly sound normal.
    Like he must now posesses all the knowledge of the ship / possibly all the knowledge of the ancients.. Now just to find the bugger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Have to agree with you, it was stupid the way the got back on board!

A ridiculous deus ex machina! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Most of the episode was pretty decent but the dreadful way in which Eli and the Gang were returned really put a dampener on it. To think we were praising them last week for not delivering a last-minute rescue! This is even worse because it happened off screen. Grrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Very badly written and weak episode imho. The return of the away team was a joke and a huge plot-hole to the last two weeks and there was way to much earth-side drama again. I felt the whole disabled scientist subplot was just added to be "edgy" rather than from a story point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

They coulda fleshed out the away team return a bit yeah. But Chloe said "Didn't you guys figure outta way for us to dial in?" Maybe the aliens had something to do it and TPTB are keeping it intentionally vague for some upcoming story?:confused: I mean the aliens did make it to the planet Scott, Chloe and Eli dialled in from.

Loved the music in this episode! Actually I've liked all the music SGU has used so far (Alexi Murdoch, Rob Thomas etc.) except for Chloes dream sequence in the opening of 'Divided'.

Mr. Brody's still! We have a bar! On Destiny! This'll be great!

What annoyed me was the whole Lt. James being switched with the alien! Don't they usually need to put the stone on that blue glowing cube thing for a connection? Not a fan of Camille's Earth story either :)

• Advertisement

Conor108 wrote: »
    What annoyed me was the whole Lt. James being switched with the alien! Don't they usually need to put the stone on that blue glowing cube thing for a connection? Not a fan of Camille's Earth story either :)

I think they tried to explain the whole James/alien thing by saying something about how the device was knocked over and wasnt disconnected properly. My intelligence felt a little insulted at how they breezed over that.

P.S. thanks for the video, was wondering what song that was!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

But the time where James was switched with the alien and when she switched back it didnt she didnt seem to move from where she was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Just finished watching it and thought it was ok, was hoping the "battle" scene would of been better.
    I agree the yeah were back bit at the start was a bit of a cop-out.

On the whole Franklin chair bit part, I think the first time he used it it re-wrote this brain like the Face-Grabber in SG1 did to Jack, but the 2nd time it needed to push this brain harder then it should be.

That's why it froze the room to drop his core temperature so he could fully sync with the ship but this completely burned his body out.....
    So the chair is a "one use" item.. Possible theory where all the Ancients disappeared to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I thought it was a good episode..apart from how Eli and co. got back aboard..but then I think it was the best way to get around it too without going too deus ex to be honest...wait..

Anyone else think of the basestar hybrids when Frankilin hopped in the chair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

People need to make up their minds! Going into showing them getting back would've taken time out of the whole Sabotage storyline. I think they did ok in how they handled it. I mean really, would you rather water down the sabotage episode so they could show the 3 of them sitting on a planet for a 2 nights and then suddenly the address pops up or just let them come through the gate like the did and then spend a tiny bit of time describing what happened. I don't think it was crucial to see them waiting on that planet.

I enjoyed the music but this was the first time I felt they forced that music montage into the show. They really are overusing the whole soft rock montage I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I was thinking more along the lines of the pilot in Andromeda Farscape.
    Bajingo wrote: »
    I thought it was a good episode..apart from how Eli and co. got back aboard..but then I think it was the best way to get around it too without going too deus ex to be honest...wait..

Bajingo wrote: »

No, but now that you mention it...!

Anita Blow wrote: »
    People need to make up their minds! Going into showing them getting back would've taken time out of the whole Sabotage storyline. I think they did ok in how they handled it. I mean really, would you rather water down the sabotage episode so they could show the 3 of them sitting on a planet for a 2 nights and then suddenly the address pops up or just let them come through the gate like the did and then spend a tiny bit of time describing what happened. I don't think it was crucial to see them waiting on that planet.

I agree, but i'd rather have seen some of that than the earthbound boring Camille story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

But the time where James was switched with the alien and when she switched back it didnt she didnt seem to move from where she was.

That's what I was thinking. I'm betting she didn't sabotage the ship after all, maybe she did connect with the aliens and report the location of Destiny. After all the aliens were following Eli & Co, they may have suspected Destiny was close and knew they could connect to the crew somehow but it's pure speculation of course, but I suspect there's a different saboteur with another agenda.

Do we know who attacked the Icarus base in the pilot? I wondered how whoever it was found the base. I'm thinking a mole among the base staff, a mole who is now sabotaging Destiny.

Probably totally off though and James not moving will be explained away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Have to agree that Eli & Co coming back was very poorly executed.
    Although, I think there's more to it than that. Considering Eli didn't want to send Kino through the gate, I think that they're being controlled in some way by the Blue Aliens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,631 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think Apophis is responsible for the sabotage

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Overheal wrote: »
    When in doubt, blame Apophis :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Have to agree that this latest episode wasn't great - especially after the last few weeks.

Eli and co just appearing was a bit of a let down after all the build up about how and when they'd get back, but as Anita says above, seeing them sitting around till the address popped up wouldn't have really worked either. My guess is they just wrote themselves into a corner on this one and needed to tie the arc up quickly.

Even the whole thing with the aliens seemed a bit convenient. James just happens to connect with one of them, who figures out where Destiny is, sends/takes that information back, oh and has time to sabotage one of the FTL drives as well?
    Then the alien goes home, a strike force is organised at a moments notice and just before they board the ship, Franklin - who's been comatose for weeks - just happens to wake up and save them in the nick of time!
    I'm all for just going with the story occasionally, but this was just lazy writing.

As for the Camile story, boring and pointless and added nothing to the episode or the character.

Overall then a very poor follow-up to the recent good form imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

What was wrong with how they returned?

At the end of the last ep they couldn't get back because the ship went to warp. When it was sabotaged it dropped out of warp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Overheal wrote: »

Ha ha! Excellent, I can picture Camille peeling off one of those latex face masks to reveal Aphopis. "Surprise Bitches!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

DingChavez wrote: »
    What was wrong with how they returned?

At the end of the last ep they couldn't get back because the ship went to warp. When it was sabotaged it dropped out of warp...

They were supposed to have gone out of range of the gate when they went to FTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Even the whole thing with the aliens seemed a bit convenient. James just happens to connect with one of them, who figures out where Destiny is, sends/takes that information back, oh and has time to sabotage one of the FTL drives as well?

I got the impression that the alien who took control of Lt. James ONLY found their location and that Destiny itself intentionally overloaded its weakest FTL module to increase overall FTL efficiency and make it accross the galactic void to recharge?

Dr. Perry says
    From Gateworld.net's transcript:
    PERRY: There was an overload - one that probably shouldn't have happened because the system is unbelievably robust, with more safeguards than I can count, but it happened. And - as with most overloads - it happened in the weakest link.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I think it's implied the alien sabotaged it too, not the best episode but as Amanda is so beautiful I will let that slide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Poor episode. The first half was god-awful and contained a frankly shark-jumping deus ex machina in bringing those stranded on the planet back to destiny.
    Second half was better but only in comparison to the first half - realistically the second half was not good either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The way they just appeared back did hurt my face all right. Did like the dinosaur :D

Advertisement