Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting new people.....

Options
  • 08-05-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,

First, a quick hi, i've just moved back to the area after a few years away. Have found most of my friends now married or have kids, and lots have moved on. Just wondering if there are any suggestions for meeting new people? I'm finding Carlow is pretty restricted in terms of clubs/activities/courses etc, and i don't want to be traipsing up to Dublin in order to do stuff.

Interested in learning a new language, but can't find anywhere that offers them (i thought there might be something in the IT, or vocational). Also would love just to find people for a drink with etc.

Any suggestions, or has anyone been in similar situation?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to posting on here :)

Floss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tom10

flossie wrote: »
    Hi,

First, a quick hi, i've just moved back to the area after a few years away. Have found most of my friends now married or have kids, and lots have moved on. Just wondering if there are any suggestions for meeting new people? I'm finding Carlow is pretty restricted in terms of clubs/activities/courses etc, and i don't want to be traipsing up to Dublin in order to do stuff.

Interested in learning a new language, but can't find anywhere that offers them (i thought there might be something in the IT, or vocational). Also would love just to find people for a drink with etc.

Any suggestions, or has anyone been in similar situation?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to posting on here :)

Floss.

Am I had the same problem two years ago when I had to move up here for a summer job (was going to college here but everybody I knew didn't live around here). I basically went playing soccer and met people that way.

Plus this forum organises stuff (badly it must be said too :p). In the process of organising another boards thing so like if you came down to that, whenever its sorted you'd meet a few people. I did it and it worked well for me, I ever occasionally still talk to ShayK1 and HugoIRL :P

There are evening course too but that I looked into a year ago but I think they all kinda start in September but there was a lot of choice so if that's your thing they are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Flossie let me introduce you to Tom10, thats a start. :)

Try the athletics club or the tennis club you can't go wrong meeting new people there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

There is Tag Rugby starting in a couple of weeks if you are interested. There are lots of signs around the town about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

Thanks for the intro ;)

Tag rugny sounds fun - do you need to have any knowledge of rugby to play? All i know of rugny is only pass backwards! Also, sporting a bit of a bad back at the mo, so would it be suitable? Guessing better than full contact! Haven't seen any signs around for it....will keep my eyes peeled next time i'm in town, but would appreciate any info :)

Shame there isn't one of these 'new to' groups for the area, i guess there are plenty of people looking to meet others.

Cheers again people, replies always appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Thanks for the intro ;)

Tag rugny sounds fun - do you need to have any knowledge of rugby to play? All i know of rugny is only pass backwards! Also, sporting a bit of a bad back at the mo, so would it be suitable? Guessing better than full contact! Haven't seen any signs around for it....will keep my eyes peeled next time i'm in town, but would appreciate any info :)

Shame there isn't one of these 'new to' groups for the area, i guess there are plenty of people looking to meet others.

Cheers again people, replies always appreciated!

Ahh Tag Rugby, you sould be fine.

Maybe consider joining us in a game or two of football :P Playing this thursday at 7 (See tread) everyones pretty dead on.

As it has been said before, Tennis Club is always a big spot, but i don't for anyone over the age of +21 really (I dont know how old you are just saying from what I remember along time ago)

Levs, Tullys, Scraggs, Med, Foundry etc are all great ways to meet a few people. All of them are packed on Sat's, Souldn't have much trouble of finding a couple friends out in the smoking areas =] (I say smoking areas because thats where everyone seems to talk)

Any sport will lead you to a group of friends, Even if you don't like the sport, play it for a couple weeks, get a few friends, and your sorted, they will meet up with you, and there own friends which will allow you to meet more people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

language classes start in the VEC in both sept and then again in jan, they're usually advertised in the carlow nationalist

Here is the number <snip>,they have a page on facebook, Carlow Tag Rugby, if you want to find out more

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

If you are into football i suggest you go play with O Hanrahans, they are crying out for players atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

steelbar wrote: »
    Here is the number <snip>,they have a page on facebook, Carlow Tag Rugby, if you want to find out more

A quick google search also returned this link http://www.irishrugby.ie/tagrugby/15369_15470.php

Also welcome aboard flossie nice to see new members in this forum :)

tommycahir wrote: »
    A quick google search also returned this link http://www.irishrugby.ie/tagrugby/15369_15470.php

As far as Im aware thats last years one,the are running it on their own this ye with no affiliation to the Bud Light or Volvic leagues.
    But I could be wrong....... :o

• Advertisement

Mister Man wrote: »
    Ahh Tag Rugby, you sould be fine.

Maybe consider joining us in a game or two of football :P Playing this thursday at 7 (See tread) everyones pretty dead on.

As it has been said before, Tennis Club is always a big spot, but i don't for anyone over the age of +21 really (I dont know how old you are just saying from what I remember along time ago)

Levs, Tullys, Scraggs, Med, Foundry etc are all great ways to meet a few people. All of them are packed on Sat's, Souldn't have much trouble of finding a couple friends out in the smoking areas =] (I say smoking areas because thats where everyone seems to talk)

Any sport will lead you to a group of friends, Even if you don't like the sport, play it for a couple weeks, get a few friends, and your sorted, they will meet up with you, and there own friends which will allow you to meet more people

Cheers Mister Man, :) I'm 27 by the way, and not a smoker, but maybe i could take it up?! The joys of Scraggs, Foundry etc. not too appealing to spend an evening propping bar up on my own, might get some funny looks - single girl hanging around, lol! And nope, not one for the soccer either!

Have got the info on tag rugby, so thanks for all the info everyone! Will sign up on 27th and see how the back holds up. Sounds like a laugh, so if any of you forumites are there i might see you around (in the beginners beginners group!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Have you tried golf by any chance and I would recommend Med bar if you can get a group of girlfriends with you. :)

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Have you tried golf by any chance and I would recommend Med bar if you can get a group of girlfriends with you. :)

Yup, live beside a golf course so planning on learning to play when i get some time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

i have an understanding with this thread as someone who has been away from home for a good number of years away from friends & family for work travelling Business or whatever reason...
    As we get older generally it is harder to make new friends you kind of have to get out there & get to know the same kind of people who have the same interests as you. Thats what i had to do when i went travelling the world in 07 for 18 months.
    A mate was meant to come with me but all he done was talk. so yea it was a fun time meeting & greeting different Nationalities ud be suprised the amount of Irish who live around the globe,

Advertisement