Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drafts in Newly Built House

• 08-05-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

hi, not sure if this is correct forum,here goes anyways..
    in the process of buying new build timber frame house in new estate.was in with new neighbours a few doors down and they say there a plenty of drafts from windows etc,
    I would like to know how easy are these to fix,getting a survey done a will try to get builder to sort most of these problems but just want to know if these are big or small problems to repair??,,many thanks in advance.....:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chippie1774

igorbiscan wrote: »
    hi, not sure if this is correct forum,here goes anyways..
    in the process of buying new build timber frame house in new estate.was in with new neighbours a few doors down and they say there a plenty of drafts from windows etc,
    I would like to know how easy are these to fix,getting a survey done a will try to get builder to sort most of these problems but just want to know if these are big or small problems to repair??,,many thanks in advance.....:)
    ure best bet is to get anyone dat is involved in doin ber certs etc..... they can do a test where ure loosing heat etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Surely drafts at this stage is a worry, it could signal probelms in the detailing in the whole house...
    I'd think it would be like buying an expensive new car with a rattle in the engine, planning to fix it when you've bought could be expensive..

bbam wrote: »
    Surely drafts at this stage is a worry, it could signal probelms in the detailing in the whole house...
    I'd think it would be like buying an expensive new car with a rattle in the engine, planning to fix it when you've bought could be expensive..
    well is hse finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

the house is finished except for the interior stuff,tiles,floors,kitchen,fireplace etc..all windows and doors are in place..

igorbiscan wrote: »
    the house is finished except for the interior stuff,tiles,floors,kitchen,fireplace etc..all windows and doors are in place..

if i were u, id get someone doin ber certs... they are experienced in all this.... they will ans all ure questions/fears.... good luck....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

it may just feel drafty because the house is empty, The draft may be coming from the floors also as there not finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

if i were u, id get someone doin ber certs... they are experienced in all this.... they will ans all ure questions/fears.... good luck....

Any chance you could stop using text speak, its hard to read your posts.

It depends on the amount of draughts you are getting into the house. For example, if the interior isn't finished and the walls need to be plastered and windowsills fitted etc.. then this could easily block up the majority of them

That said, there could have been a piss poor job done on installing the windows which could be causing the problems. Check with your solicitor and see if things like this will be covered in the warranty on the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭dunie001

You need to get an airtightness test carried out on the house.

There are minimum standards of air tightness for new dwellings:
    New structures now require an Air tightness level of 10m3 at 50 Pa. They will be tested by the Blower door method to ensure they meet the required air tightness level.

So make sure that the builder is aware of this and if he refuses then you could back out of the sale or force the builder to meet the air tightness level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Easiest way to check which rooms have drafts is to block the vent and slam the door. If air is escaping the door will slam, if room is airtight the door wont close. works every time:D

Advertisement