Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How high is the quality of the LOI?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

BOHtox wrote: »
    No comment. That's just idiotic

How so? You have yet to make a decent contribution to this thread without embarrassing yourself.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

No comment. That's just idiotic

Can the mods remove people like this tool.

Every comment that doesn't hype the LOI is just idiotic..:rolleyes:

At this stage nobody wants to see your opinion unless you have something relevant to add.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

gimmick wrote: »
    The standard of the LOI is alot lower now than what it was between 2002-2007. I would say in those years the better teams, Cork City, Derry, Bohs, Shels, were about bottom half championship level, while the rest would have been decent League one clubs.

I would say today that the better teams would be middling League One teams, while the remainder would be bottom half League 2 clubs, while the standard of the 2st division is utter utter dross, probably mid conference at best.

I say that as a lifelong Cork City fan, and not as a LOI basher. Its just a realistic opinion. FFS, a few years ago, some would have you believe that the better teams would have been championship winners, which was never really the case
    In retrospect I'd go with this. This season the LOI has been poor tbh, weve lost some great players to England over the last few years, the likes of Fahey, Jay O Shea, Brian Murphy, Gary Deegan. It does take its toll.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

But if people went to the matches.....

Anyone the point of this thread in the beginning was to see how hard it is for players to make it in the LOI.

Is it all down to hardwork and some skill etc. Can average enough players who work hard make in the LOI?

Think of the best soccer player you know personally, could he make it in the LOI?

Just trying to gauge opinions here.

If my aunt have a cock.............

Fact is, LOI is not attractive to most. That is an unfortunate fact. It is even less attractive now given that the standard is so much lower than what it was a few years back. Also, apart from Turners Cross, Richmond Park, Tallaght and maybe Dalyer (I like the Jodie, the rest is horrific) the grounds are all fecking horrible, none exactly draw people out.

DB10 wrote: »
    Anyone the point of this thread in the beginning was to see how hard it is for players to make it in the LOI.

Is it all down to hardwork and some skill etc. Can average enough players who work hard make in the LOI?

Think of the best soccer player you know personally, could he make it in the LOI?

Just trying to gauge opinions here.

Extremely hard to gauge. A fella who is brillinat in say, the Leinster/Munster Senior League might find it very difficult to handle LOI Div 1, as has been proven time out of number throughout the years. And then the jump in standard from LOI 1 to Prem is equally massive.

Hard work is obviously needed, but an awful lot of skill (and luck)is required as well.

But if people went to the matches.....

Yes I see what your alluding to if people went to the matches, the clubs could sign better players and gain more money, the standard would improve etc.

Sadly that does not happen, people will have to deal with it. The nearest LOI team to me is about 60 miles away in a place I don't know anyone from. And that isn't even a LOI Prem side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Can the mods remove people like this tool.

Every comment that doesn't hype the LOI is just idiotic..:rolleyes:

At this stage nobody wants to see your opinion unless you have something relevant to add.

You seem to be enjoying the way the thread has gone.

How have any of the posts answered your opening question.

I played football with some excellent players. Also some of these would have played minor inter county football. Still they were not good enough to play LOI football.

So the average player will not be able to play in the LOI.

Its like comparing inter county to club players in GAA. Its a big jump for most.

• Advertisement

You seem to be enjoying the way the thread has gone.

How have any of the posts answered your opening question.

I played football with some excellent players. Also some of these would have played minor inter county football. Still they were not good enough to play LOI football.

So the average player will not be able to play in the LOI.

Its like comparing inter county to club players in GAA. Its a big jump for most.
    Fair enough mate, that is what I was trying to talk about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

LOI football is utter shiite. Someone said earlier bohs and shels would compete with celtic and rangers!? Haha thats just comical. I'd say League Two standard at best. Nowhere near the Championsip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

oconnon9 wrote: »
    LOI football is utter shiite. Someone said earlier bohs and shels would compete with celtic and rangers!? Haha thats just comical. I'd say League Two standard at best. Nowhere near the Championsip.
    Being so informed and all, what was the last LOI game you attended?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Voltwad wrote: »
    Don't even bother...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Voltwad wrote: »

Years ago. What was the last League Two match you attended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

He never said League 2 was utter ****e.

You see he did not belittle League 2, you did the LOI. You are the one who is clearly talking out its ass.

No he insinuated that in order to judge the standard of football you must attend. Whats me attending LOI Ireland matches got to do with the standard of LOI football?

No he insinuated that in order to judge the standard of football you must attend. Whats me attending LOI Ireland matches got to do with the standard of LOI football?

Genius.:D

you aren't Berties Aherns PA are ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Whats me attending LOI Ireland matches got to do with the standard of LOI football?

It has A LOT to do with you judging the standard of LOI football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Well considering you said it's years ago that you last went to a game......What makes you say it's ****e now?? Hiow do you know???

Genius.:D

you aren't Berties Aherns PA are ya?

No sorry mate

But even he knows the LOI is Shiite!!!!!!

Well considering you said it's years ago that you last went to a game......What makes you say it's ****e now?? Hiow do you know???

Called word of mouth

Called word of mouth

Oh Okay.

This guy down the pub told me Ireland are going to win the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

How do you go outside looking like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Called word of mouth

You have to be taking the píss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

How does not attending games discredit people's opinion of the standard of the LOI? RTE 2 regularly show games. You may not have attended many La Liga games, does that mean your opinion of the standard is completely worthless?

I think, on average LOI is on par with League 1 in England. As to the comparisons being made to the SPL, on MNS recently they were interviewing a lad that came over from Scotland, his name escapes, and he said that it is obviously a lower standard than Scotland but he was surprised at the level being played here. Was higher than he expected.

magma69 wrote: »
    As to the comparisons being made to the SPL, on MNS recently they were interviewing a lad that came over from Scotland, his name escapes, and he said that it is obviously a lower standard than Scotland but he was surprised at the level being played here. Was higher than he expected.

Gary Twigg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just to drop some knowledge - the UEFA Ranking of the various leagues

Not saying it's the most accurate measure but it does give some idea of the various leagues around Europe.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2010.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Gary Twigg?

No, I think it was a Galway United signing, not 100% though.

• Advertisement

Oh Okay.

This guy down the pub told me Ireland are going to win the World Cup.

Yeah? this guy on boards told me Bohs and Shels would compete with Celtic and Rangers.

I'd love to know if anyone on here has actually played League of Ireland football before, especially in the last 10 years.

It would be good to get a players perspective as apposed to us mere hackers.

Yeah? this guy on boards told me Bohs and Shels would compete with Celtic and Rangers.

Again, not to bash certain sides but the Old Firm and Scottish football in general is in a terrible state.

The SPL is not a league that the LOI should strive to emulate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

magma69 wrote: »
    No, I think it was a Galway United signing, not 100% though.
    It was Rhys Mynell.

I'd love to know if anyone on here has actually played League of Ireland football before, especially in the last 10 years.

It would be good to get a players perspective as apposed to us mere hackers.

Agreed, there must be someone out there anyway or a close mate of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

Thanks for that. I'll just stop supporting my LOI team and support the team of the highest standard instead.

Again, not to bash certain sides but the Old Firm and Scottish football in general is in a terrible state.

The SPL is not a league that the LOI should strive to emulate.

I'll second that

Shels aren't even in the Premier Division.

Foxx92 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'll just stop supporting my LOI team and support the team of the highest standard instead.

I've nothing against supporting your local team, I just pointed out that LOI is a very poor standard of football. Anyone who doesn't know that is either absolute fanatic or just arguing for the sake of arguing

• Advertisement

Shels aren't even in the Premier Division.

I use the term Bohs and Shels loosely

I've nothing against supporting your local team, I just pointed out that LOI is a very poor standard of football. Anyone who doesn't know that is either absolute fanatic or just arguing for the sake of arguing

Everything outside the latter stages of the CL and the top 4 in England and Spain is a very poor standard of football.

I use the term Bohs and Shels loosely

That doesn't even make sense.

bohsman wrote: »
    Everything outside the latter stages of the CL and the top 4 in England and Spain is a very poor standard of football.
    Football is what you want it to be really. What you said is half true but even then it could be argued whether it is just the top 2 in Spain.

It is all down to the person really. People may call it spoilt but as an Arsenal supporter I haven't found our football that entertaining in a few years. I don't think United are all that entertaining either.

I have enjoyed games like recently like Bpool - Forest and Sheff Wed - Palace recently then most others!

They're all equally guilty of not playing good football

Surprised?

• Advertisement

They're all equally guilty of not playing good football

Word of mouth?? How can you lump together two teams that are not even in the same division as being somehow representative?? Laziness of the highest order, a bit like saying all loi is ****e etc

It is all down to the person really. People may call it spoilt but as an Arsenal supporter I haven't found our football that entertaining in a few years.

Too young to remember George Grahams Arsenal then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

bohsman wrote: »
    Too young to remember George Grahams Arsenal then?

What ?? - the synchronised arm lift by the defence in unison to claim yet another offside was spectacular - miss those days ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's not as good as the premiership or La Liga.

Wait, where have you all gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just to drop some knowledge - the UEFA Ranking of the various leagues

Not saying it's the most accurate measure but it does give some idea of the various leagues around Europe.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2010.html

Yes, BUT HOW MANY LOI GAMES HAVE THEY GONE TO?????!!!!!!

BLOODY BARSTOOLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabble rabble rabble

• Advertisement
Advertisement