Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant connect to wifi on phone

Options
  • 08-05-2010 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Anyone know why I can connect to my home network on my computer (using it now) and not on my phone. The network is set to open access and seem to be unable to get it on my blackberry.

Also had a friend unable to connect on his iphone.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is it an 'n' network by any chance? Or would you have set up a 'mac' filter at any stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mick104

dub45 wrote: »
    Is it an 'n' network by any chance? Or would you have set up a 'mac' filter at any stage?

Sorry dont know what your talking about. I didnt do anything to it except when a friend took the password off it a few months ago

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mick104 wrote: »
    Sorry dont know what your talking about. I didnt do anything to it except when a friend took the password off it a few months ago

Well 'n' is the latest standard for wireless. 'g' is the most common standard I just wondered if you had a very modern router which was set to 'n' only.

Why did your friend remove the security from your network?

Is it possible that instead of the security that he set up a 'mac' filter to prevent other computers accessing the network? Every network device has an individual mac number (it has nothing to do with Apple and their macs by the way) and he could have put the mac no of your pc into the router as being the only machine allowed access.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mick104

i got it opened up because I live in a pub and used it to advertise free wifi. It still works grand when people bring in their laptops and use it and my phone is able to connect with other networks but for some reason not mine. The network also lets children connect using there nintendo ds as well.

Just seems odd that it just stopped letting phones in.

Advertisement