Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no raise in pay

Options
  • 08-05-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi i tried to post yesterday and think i got cut off from internet so re posting, if it just wasn't approved can you delete this duplicate? basically i took a job 3 months ago that i am masively overqualifyd for on the basis that i would get a raise if i brought in more business. the raise never came so i tackled my boss on it, he said he would take a look at money and come back to me. he did come back to me and said that i wasnt bringing in enuff cash and that the company was currently operating at a loss so he couldnt pay me more. im ragin!!! i am way more qualifyd then the level of pay im getting and finidng it hard to live off this crap wage. in my last job i earned buckets more.also i calculated that i increased business by 2% since i began. im lookin for throughts on how to proceed or who i canm complain to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

if you can prove that you brought in more business point out your evidence that contradicts his. when you settled on agreeing the pay rise did you set a target if not then sorry 2% or 20% he can still say it doesnt justify any increase in your salary

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

depending on the size of the business i doubt 2% is considered much of an increase and after only 3 months your employer doesn't know if its a permanent increase or just a fluke. It might just be extra manpower hours rather than solely from your effort.

Also i think asking for a raise after 3 months is a bit cheeky, especially in these recessionary times. Even in the celtic tiger hey day a year would have been the norm or AT LEAST until you were out of probation ie 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Err 2% is nothing. If you are overachieving your agreed targets by 25% to 50% then you can talk to him but you normally would wait 6 months before you have that conversation. I am assuming this is a sales related job?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

suck it up, ya have job! id wait 6 moths before asking and only after a massive increse in sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

deadtiger wrote: »
    Err 2% is nothing. If you are overachieving your agreed targets by 25% to 50% then you can talk to him but you normally would wait 6 months before you have that conversation. I am assuming this is a sales related job?

How the hell can you decide on the absolute meaning of 2%??

OP, what is the absolute raise in turnover attributed to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

enda1 wrote: »
    How the hell can you decide on the absolute meaning of 2%??

OP, what is the absolute raise in turnover attributed to you?

Well just reading between the lines as the OP hasn't indicated the size of organisation I am assuming its a small company as larger ones normally from experience tend to have things like remuneration nailed down for the first six months anyway (unless negotiated at time of signing to be otherwise).

In that case 2% is bugger all and would also be depending on factors like margin. If they clarify it I'll eat humble pie then.

To be honest its unheard of someone getting a raise within 3 months of joining an organisation and that's not even factoring in the fact that the country is in a severe recession.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

hi i tried to post yesterday and think i got cut off from internet so re posting, if it just wasn't approved can you delete this duplicate? basically i took a job 3 months ago that i am masively overqualifyd for on the basis that i would get a raise if i brought in more business. the raise never came so i tackled my boss on it, he said he would take a look at money and come back to me. he did come back to me and said that i wasnt bringing in enuff cash and that the company was currently operating at a loss so he couldnt pay me more. im ragin!!! i am way more qualifyd then the level of pay im getting and finidng it hard to live off this crap wage. in my last job i earned buckets more.also i calculated that i increased business by 2% since i began. im lookin for throughts on how to proceed or who i canm complain to?
    Eh, no.

You don't ask for a raise after 3 months, it doesn't matter how overqualified you are! You'll probably be lucky to be kept on past your probation period with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

Eh, no.

You don't ask for a raise after 3 months, it doesn't matter how overqualified you are! You'll probably be lucky to be kept on past your probation period with that attitude.

agreed op all you have achieved with this is shown your boss what a bad attitude you have. in a recession companies want people who will go above and beyond for the company. not people cornering their boss for more money after they're barely in the door

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

unfortunately there are loads of us in jobs that we are over qualified for thats not a vaild excuse really and if you got that chip off your shoulder you might actually be more productive.

How long is your probation period, the standard is 6 months, surely after 3 it would seem cheeky to ask for a raise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

OK so, even though the company is operating at a loss you think you are entitled to more money :eek:
    Reality check needed...why not just leave and bring you're hugh qualification with you and let someone off the dole to take your place..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

deadtiger wrote: »
    To be honest its unheard of someone getting a raise within 3 months of joining an organisation and that's not even factoring in the fact that the country is in a severe recession.

Its not unheard of depending on how reviews in a company are organised.
    It is possible to join a company in September and get a pay-rise when the bi-annual review is done in December, as I well know, and was pleasently surprised by :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Until the OP comes back with more information, there's not much point in arguing about it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

I'd say if the company is operating at a loss, they may be pondering cutting staff and people's wages in the future, so asking for a raise might just be the wrong time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

OP are you Richie Boucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

If you're really that "overqualifyed" then a) you should have negotiated a better starting wage, rather trying to wangle a raise 3 months in, and b) surely you can get another (better-paying) job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 unamused

are you working as a credit controller for a printing shop in baggot st by any chance as it sounds like an old employer of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

i am masively overqualifyd for on the basis that i would get a raise if i brought in more business. the raise never came so i tackled my boss on it, he said he would take a look at money and come back to me. he did come back to me and said that i wasnt bringing in enuff cash and that the company was currently operating at a loss so he couldnt pay me more. im ragin!!! i am way more qualifyd then the level of pay im getting and finidng it hard to live off this crap wage. in my last job i earned buckets more.also i calculated that i increased business by 2% since i began. im lookin for throughts on how to proceed or who i canm complain to?

I can't help thinking if you are so amazingly qualified, you might actually know how to spell the word?

Anyway, sorry mate, but there is no law obliging employers to give you pay rises, even if there is spectacular performance and its clearly down to you. They are not obliged to do it unless they are signed up to a collective bargaining arrangement or JLC that ties them into particular wage rates.
    Sadly, performance based pay doesn't really work in this country - the culture doesn't really go with it. You don't really have a leg to stand on.

However, since you are so spectacularly amazing, I am sure you will have no problem whatsoever finding a job that pays you "buckets."

Advertisement