Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning stained dash on house

• 08-05-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Can anyone offer any suggestion or recommendation for a product (or method) for cleaning dash on a house which has become stained over the years? See photo attached.

Any thoughts/opinions? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Power washing perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chippie1774

awnow wrote: »
    Can anyone offer any suggestion or recommendation for a product (or method) for cleaning dash on a house which has become stained over the years? See photo attached.

Any thoughts/opinions? :)

i generally use domestas (spell check):rolleyes: just mix with water and spray on hse... leave for few hrs/ day... and just wash off.... we use it where mould appears, always works...

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭awnow

Thanks chippie1774.
    Would that damage the dash in any way? e.g. make it more porous and more susceptible to moisture/rain penetration?

Are there any purpose made chemicals for removing stains such as those in the photograph?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chippie1774

Thanks chippie1774.
    Would that damage the dash in any way? e.g. make it more porous and more susceptible to moisture/rain penetration?

Are there any purpose made chemicals for removing stains such as those in the photograph?
    im sure there is lots on the market..... another 1 thats very strong, but i cant think of its name, is a chemical that farmers use to clean milk tanks.... very strong and effective....... go go to local kerry co op store..... but try de domestes, mix it strong thou..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Spannerman7

Chloros is the one Chippie, cheap as chips ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Goodne

Hi, It looks like a pinkish red stain in the photo; you see it all over the country on concrete walls; if thats the case its actually a fungus. Don't wash it or you will spread the spores & make it worse. It needs to be treated with a fungicide first. Go to a decent hardware & ask

Yes it does look more like a fungus come to think of it. Can anyone give me a name of a fungicide product? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Power washing is a waste of time and effort. It will loosen the dash and not solve the problem.

Domestos does work.
    Dilute it with water and apply using a backpack sprayer (wear goggles).
    Experiment with different levels of dilution.
    Best to do it on a dry day and leave for a few days before hosing down with water.

Sounds sensible. Thanks a million for all your views. I'll post back how we get on in a few weeks time :)

Awnow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Get one of those cheap pressurised sprayers you can get in woodies, they will hold around a gallon of water or whatever and spray it on. Think they are around 10euro...Like this one Sprayer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

I wouldnt use a power hose as it will cause patching. Use a hand pump sprayer as seen above with domestos 1part domestos 5 parts water. Apply to area and leave 24 hours min. wash off with garden hose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭eosirl08.

Yes it does look more like a fungus come to think of it. Can anyone give me a name of a fungicide product? :)

What you need is product called "mossgo" its an algae remover. do not attempt to powerwash that wall whatever happens!

Advertisement