Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat 10 years later question

Options
  • 08-05-2010 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I originally did my Leaving Cert 10 years ago, and am seriously thinking of repeating to get into college as I was unable to complete my last exams first time round. But I have a question:

1. Do my original grades still count as entry requirements, e.g. does my B in Irish Honours still count so I wont have to repeat that subject?

I really dont want to have to do Irish or Maths again because I got very good grades in them the first time round,

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

parkerwest wrote: »
    I originally did my Leaving Cert 10 years ago, and am seriously thinking of repeating to get into college as I was unable to complete my last exams first time round. But I have a question:

1. Do my original grades still count as entry requirements, e.g. does my B in Irish Honours still count so I wont have to repeat that subject?

I really dont want to have to do Irish or Maths again because I got very good grades in them the first time round,

Thanks

Do you need to resit the Leaving Cert if you're a mature applicant? I think there's a different entry process.

I think the grades should stand up as requirement, btw. You'd really need to ask the CAO, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 parkerwest

I can apply as a mature applicant yes, but I would rather do it through LC simply because I would be more in a study mind going into college and would have a strong grip on the subjects I would be dealing with. It just makes more sense to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

I can apply as a mature applicant yes, but I would rather do it through LC simply because I would be more in a study mind going into college and would have a strong grip on the subjects I would be dealing with. It just makes more sense to me

It seems really unnecessary OP, as most Universities offer a "Back to Education" course during the Summer before you begin your College year. This will help you get back into the system, and besides most courses start off from the ground up so you will be at the same level as the LC students starting as well.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

Ya really would be no point in doing the leaving again.You'd just be wasting another year.Just go in as a mature applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

You can count previous grades for entry requirements but you cannot combine more than 1 leaving cert for points requirements.

So you won't have to do irish and maths again but you cannot use them for points.

I've heard of a few mature candidates doing the leaving again to get into college because of the increase in applicants through the mature entry interview non-points route. Entry for mature students has become very competitive since the recession and while you can take your chances with the mature entry route, the only way to guarantee entry is to get enough CAO points.

Note: Rules for medicine are different. If you want to get into medicine then you can't use previous grades even for entry requirements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭JohnnyQuid

As pathway33 said,you can use the grade you got in irish and maths as subject entry requirements into a course in college but you CANNOT use the points that those subjects would give you e.g Let's say you decide to repeat but you don't repeat Irish or maths,that means you would be repeating 5 possibly 6 sujects.You can only add up the points of the sujects you've repeated and use only the grades from what you didn't repeat.If you did want to use them as points your only option would be to resit them

Advertisement