Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time Mature Student

Options
  • 08-05-2010 5:56pm
    Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice.

I'm currently working full time, and have been for the last 12 years as once I did the leaving certificate I had no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up and college didn't interest me, or rather seemed a waste of money.
    Now after years of working I've found that I've become interested in doing a law degree. I'm currently doing a diploma in legal studies and I'm really enjoying it and now really want to go on to do the degree.
    However, being a mature student who wants to study part time I've found that the fees are astronomical. Leaving work is not an option as I have a mortgage, bills, loans etc to pay and my fear is that if I stop studying for a year or so to save I won't go back. It has taken me 12 years to get up the guts to do the diploma and now that I'm in the groove I don't want to stop.

Does anyone know of any financial assistance for part time students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vinoveritas

In reply to your post. There is currently (and not likely to be) any assistance for students in your situation. You can claim back something against your taxes - it used to be at the higher rate - but in more recent times it is set at the lower rate (check it out with www.paye.ie). If you haven't done this it helps a little.

I suppose what you have to do is weigh up the potential gain in terms of increased earning potential against your outgoings and see if your investment will pay dividends in the long run.

Sometimes employers help out with fees - but generally only if the qualification is of benefit to the organisation - might be worth checking this out.

Always worth keeping an eye out for scholarships - links to which can be found on www.cao.ie and www.qualifax.ie

Good luck with the studies

V V

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Huawei Gallagher

This is the link to the area for claiming tax relief:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

Its well worth doing as it can be a lot of money, but I think it only applies to degree courses at approved colleges (there is a list). You can get relief for IT diplomas, but I assume this is no use to you.

Maybe if you sign up for a degree program you can then claim back the taxes for the course fees of your diploma courses, tell them the courses are part of a degree (as I assume you will be integrating them into a degree if you do it.)

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

yup I know I can claim the taxes back at the end of the year - but the bank doesn't care about that - they are just looking at whether I have enough disposable income to repay a loan now - which due to my mortgage increasing I don't, even if I got in a tenant they wouldn't take that income into consideration.
    As for work - they refused to help as the degree I want to do has "nothing to do with my job"...so much for encouraging staff to better themselves.
    I can't see how any international financial company could frown upon a member of staff tryin to obtain a law degree... I'd understand if I was trying to do media studies or psychology, which would have absolutely no application in my job....but Law, sure I spend half my time at work sending emails off to the legal dept asking them to explain things that are in front of me!
    Its just frustrating at this point

Advertisement