Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to Limerick

Options
  • 08-05-2010 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey,
    I'm hoping to study at Limerick Institute of Technology after not this summer, but next.

Also i'd be considering living in the student village at Grove Island

I'm from Scotland and i've never been to Limerick

Can anyone give me any advice or comments on what its like to live in Limerick, the uni or Grove Island ??

any comments would be really appreciated. Thanks biggrin.gif

also how easy is it for students to find jobs in Limerick? If not where would i look for a job instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

pgx wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm hoping to study at Limerick Institute of Technology after not this summer, but next.

Can anyone give me any advice or comments on what its like to live in Limerick, the uni or Grove Island ??

also how easy is it for students to find jobs in Limerick? If not where would i look for a job instead?

Find somewhere to closer to LIT than Grove Island imo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hey,

Grove Island is lovely, but it's not really close enough to LIT unless you a) enjoy cycling between lectures or b) have access to a car. There's a few better suggestions for places nearer LIT in this old thread, but the information might be a little bit out of date.

I've always lived in Limerick, so I can't really speak about it purely from a student's point of view. It's not bad at all, but a lot of people will tell you the night-life is more fun in Cork or Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I had responded but when you said University i assumed you meant UL.

As Testtransmission said get something closer.

Grove Island has no direct transport links to LIT and it would wear you out everyday walking to and fro although you could cycle.

Have you facebook? You can view the Limerick Post on their website and look for accomodation or you can link to their facebook and they will update each week when the edition is available to view online.

Try to get something around Caherdavin, Ennis Road, Woodview, Old Cratloe Road.

Come back here for more advice on price of accomodation and locations.

Grove Island for LIT is not great, Grove Island for other Colleges and the Uni is perfect though.

Jobwise. Well everybody in Ireland and Scotland are struggling to find work so its as plentiful as it could be. Some people start looking for work 2-3 months before even arriving into the city because of the amount of people looking for work. There are a few commerical units nearby that every so often will need staff, cafe, takeaway, supermarkets, petrol station and a few others.

You can see jobs on

http://www.jobs.ie
    http://www.limerickjobs.com

You can also buy the Limerick Leader newspaper when you arrive. They are not yet digital.

The Limerick Post newspaper is digital and you can find them on Facebook if you have an account. Every wednsday they put up their digital paper which has a few jobs in it but nothing like a few years ago.

Getting a job suitable for a student really involves pounding the pavement or ringing around lots of places.

Grove Island is near the city centre, 5 minutes walk so you will have more choice in that sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pgx

oh i didn't realise that Grove Island was so far away from LIT, it was recommended on the LIT website so that's how i came across it.
    I will look into closer accomdation then thanks berty, TestTransmission
    and thanks for the tips on jobs - i will check the sites and group out :)

Insect Overlord...
    I can drive but i havn't decided if it's worth having a car once i move as being a student obviously won't be cheap so i think it would be better to just find somewhere closer like you's have suggested.
    Is the nightlife very limited or just not as big as in Cork and Galway?
    I wouldn't mind compromising that i guess as the course i want to do is in LIT and not in cork and galway.

Thanks again everyone for the help :)

LIT is not a million miles away from Grove Island but I wouldn't want to be walking it every day. Get a bike in that case. Otherwise you have to walk into the City to get a bus on Henry St out to LIT which is futile because you have already walked 50% of the way already.

Here is the local paper. You will find accomodation towards the middle of the paper.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/digitaleditions.aspx?tab=0&pid=16d2df0b-b84b-4602-a4f3-05634de2cff3

The nightlife is far from limited but Galway and Cork are pure student cities. Limerick never got that reputation but you can still have a great time. If I had the chance years back I would have picked Galway in a heartbeat to be a student in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Grove Island is no further from LIT than UL. 15 mins walk roughly.

I came to Limerick 9 years ago to go to LIT :eek: and I found the student scene was pretty good,there is actually quite a large student population.

Grove Island is no further from LIT than UL. 15 mins walk roughly.

Its at least a half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When I went to LIT I lived near the Parkway and walked to LIT every day. Grove Island is not that far from LIT, maybe 25-30 mins walk.

Don't let Bill Cullen hear ya saying it is too far.:p

guys...
    someone has just told me on another post that the main LIT building is outside the city and the LIT art college campus is in the city. - its the art college im wanting to go to, i didn't know that they weren't next to each other but thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement

guys...
    someone has just told me on another post that the main LIT building is outside the city and the LIT art college campus is in the city. - its the art college im wanting to go to, i didn't know that they weren't next to each other but thanks for the help :)

Well then, Grove Island is perfect for you.

Cross the Canal and walk around 400mtrs and you're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

a bit of info for you op, in terms of population, the city is the third largest in the country, about 100,000.

student population is supposed to be the highest in the country per head of population with about 20-25,000.

nightlife is good, nice selection of clubs and pubs.

in terms of location for accomodation i would recomment looking at

www.daft.ie (try to find something on the northside of the city)

location of the city is equidistance between Cork and Galway (60miles), so it is easy to get around to these places too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Grove Island is absolutely ideal for the Art College :)
    I've a few friends living there and they adore the place. Really good crowd of students, always a party or an event of some sort on, and very near the college itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Grove island is a bit away from LIT but very good for getting to town for nights out. Just weigh up which is more important :D

I lived there for 3 years its a good spot super market chipper dvd store and a gym with a pool all in the same complex.

You can get a bus from the shell petrol station next to GI into town and then out to LIT. A car would be good though it a bit of a walk but not too far if its not raining.

Grove island is a bit away from LIT but very good for getting to town for nights out. Just weigh up which is more important :D

I lived there for 3 years its a good spot super market chipper dvd store and a gym with a pool all in the same complex.

You can get a bus from the shell petrol station next to GI into town and then out to LIT. A car would be good though it a bit of a walk but not too far if its not raining.

You need to read further on in the thread. Confirmed to be LIT Art College on Clare Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Grove Island is perfect for the Art College. Must people don't really associate the Art College with LIT so you're probably better off just referring to it as the Art College. Anyone I know who went there really enjoyed it and seemed to have a great social life.

Good Luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It's an excellent art college, and there's an excellent student scene there. Grove Island would be suitable, or anywhere else in the city centre. There's lots of accomodation around there. It just depends on how much you want to spend.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Its at least a half hour

Walk faster :D

Can anyone help me understand the fees for my course?
    ( http://www.lit.ie/admissions/fees.html )

I've read up on the fees but i still don't understand if british students are entitlted to apply fo a grant, by a means test?

Because i don't have a 'local VEC/Local Authority'
    (i dont even know what a local VEC is :( )

" There is no upper age limit, thereby enabling mature learners to receive grant-aid. Learners should apply to their local VEC/Local Authority regarding the maintenance portion of their grant, which is means-tested. "

Does anyone know if i'm entitled to apply for a grant or not?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

In Limerick they have horses running through council estates
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2010/02/05/story111307.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Same in most cities in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

in dublin they have a sign outside the city that reads welcome to dublin home of trinity college ,in cork they have a sign outside the city which reads welcome to cork home of the blarney stone and out side limerick the have a sign which reads welcome to limerick, cctv in operation:) only joking its a good college hope you enjoy your stay here

in dublin they have a sign outside the city that reads welcome to dublin home of trinity college ,in cork they have a sign outside the city which reads welcome to cork home of the blarney stone and out side limerick the have a sign which reads welcome to limerick, cctv in operation:) only joking its a good college hope you enjoy your stay here

hahaha thanks slightly worried now but thanks xD

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And in the Pale they have Jackeens roaming the council estates...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Irish grant system has its quirks, meaning irish students don't necessarily need to be studying in the republic to receive a grant, however, others are not entitled. I'll have a look at the fees for you tomorrow when I'm at a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The site is woefully out of date.

Tuition fees for 08/09 were €2,319.

You can expect that rose 4% this year and will for next year too.

The Student Service Charge (Reg Fee) is additional to this and was €1,500 for the current year, no increase is expected this year.

Advertisement