Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a friend shooting

Options
  • 08-05-2010 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

A friend is interested in learning to hunt/shoot. He will be coming out with me to get a sense of things. Can I legally allow him to fire my gun?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

I'd say so because the licence for only owning the gun ? you can bring a friend to range

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

For hunting out in the field, no, it's not legal unless he has a training or full licence on the firearm.
    For shooting on the range, yes, it's legal, but check with the range about their local rules first (as always, obviously!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

I'd say so because the licence for only owning the gun ? you can bring a friend to range

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The old paper licence said something like " Joe Bloggs is granted permission to own, carry and discharge the firearm bearing the serial no xxxxxxxx"

Or something to that effect. Might be worth putting a call into your F.O. for clarification.

As always, I'm open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It's not the ownership as such that's the problem it's having possession and control that requires a licence. I can buy a rifle or shotgun right now in a dealer's and there's absolutely no problem with that. To take possession of it I'll need it licenced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Ok he just have to watch and learn then, cheers lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Odysseus wrote: »
    Ok he just have to watch and learn then, cheers lads.

Ah go on and let him take a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Ah go on and let him take a shot!

That I suppose will be the difference between stating one thing on boards and what happens in the real world;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

That I suppose will be the difference between stating one thing on boards and what happens in the real world;)

I thought as much ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

11th Commandment ............... Don't get caught ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No, the 11th is "Don't advise people on boards.ie to do something they'd then get in trouble for doing" :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Perhaps a little more accurately, it's the difference between what can be said or written in a very public place, viewable and available to anyone and everyone, and what may, allegedly, happen in the real world.
    Allegedly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

pajero2005 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. The old paper licence said something like " Joe Bloggs is granted permission to own, carry and discharge the firearm bearing the serial no xxxxxxxx"

Or something to that effect. Might be worth putting a call into your F.O. for clarification.

As always, I'm open to correction on this.

"To have in your posession, to carry and to hold" and no you cannot let anyone else fire your weapon unless that person holds a licence for same, even if they have a firearms licence for another firearm, unless on an authorised range under supervision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

"To have in your posession, to carry and to hold" and no you cannot let anyone else fire your weapon unless that person holds a licence for same, even if they have a firearms licence for another firearm, unless on an authorised range under supervision.

Mmmm... is it not sort of strange that the Willy character above (he with central vision) is staring over a barrel at everyone? Is he licensed?
    Ahem, ducking.
    P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Ok, here i go being pedantic:
    deerhunter1, where are you getting that wording?:
    "To have in your posession, to carry and to hold"

What the licence states is that "you are authorised to have in your possession, use, and carry".

Sorry for being pedantic, but that's what my licences state, do yours state otherwise? Just interested to know if there are variations in the licence wording across the country?

And on the particularly bee I have in my bonnet this evening (I need to a pint TBH):

@ Danny1987 -
    I'd say so because the licence for only owning the gun

Where are some of you lads getting this s***e?
    Have you even seen a licence, my friend?
    Go on, take it out of your pocket and read what it says.

If you have even seen what is written on the licence / cert or haven't bothered your arse to find out what it does or does not authorise the holder to do, please please please......

Stop this incessant misinformation on boards!

I'm starting to think some lads are coming on here and deliberately and systematically conducting a campaign of misinformation and giving lads bad and blatently inaccurate advice.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but already this evening there's been a number of posts purporting to be providing "information" but which are blatently BS. Lads given opinions is one thing - but posting totally fabricated or unsubstantiated information is a whole other ball of wax.

Paranoid.....me? Never!:rolleyes:
    you cannot let anyone else fire your weapon

:mad:
    OK, I'm going to need to calm down, take a deep breath, and count to 10........

There's that f***in' w-word again!

You, Sir, may possess a weapon, I own firearms, rifles to be exact.

Now, off with me to take that chill-pill!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

dCorbus wrote: »
    Ok, here i go being pedantic:
    deerhunter1, where are you getting that wording?:

What the licence states is that "you are authorised to have in your possession, use, and carry".

Sorry for being pedantic, but that's what my licences state, do yours state otherwise? Just interested to know if there are variations in the licence wording across the country?

:mad:
    OK, I'm going to need to calm down, take a deep breath, and count to 10........

There's that f***in' w-word again!

You, Sir, may possess a weapon, I own firearms, rifles to be exact.

Sh-t where did I get that from :confused: Im toooo lazy to get off the couch and check, cannot leave my glass of Merlot and John Wayne on Sky Movies (The Searchers 1956) But I will check and get back to you

No worries.:D
    Mmmmmmm merlot:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

No worries.:D
    Mmmmmmm merlot:cool:

Question.

If there is only one gun the other person can carry it for safety reasons, crossing ditch etc I think that is the only time in the field.

McDouwel excuse spelling wanted to sort this out and make it legal.

It should be legal, but not currently.
    If there was such a thing as a provisional licence for the field, use only when licenced firearm owner is wit you to keep an eye on things.

When I was a kid there was a lot less laws and a lot more fun. The memories of looking forward to burning rubbish on a sat just to watch the aerosols go off, my dad was off saturdays so that was Rubbish day!

Now thats illegal too! And rightly so lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

And now that you know the exact legalities of the situation go off out and use your common sense, if a friend of mine hadn't let me shoot his rifle's and shotgun the first time I wouldn't now have firearms of my own! I had absolutely no interest until I first pulled a trigger and now I'm hooked!!!:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.......If there was such a thing as a provisional licence for the field, use only when licenced firearm owner is wit you to keep an eye on things.........

Training certificate ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Perhaps.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Read the Firearms Act 1925 Section 2. (3) (f)

Then ask someone less inscrutable and more highly motivated than me, like RRPC, Sparks or the horses mouth (or a*se, depending on your point of view) in the DoJ if a) it hasn't been repealed and b) it covers your case.

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »

But the age is the question. I fired my firs gun age 10, it was my grandad's and he's dead and I was a child so i can divulge.

I was hooked when i say me da Blow a crow ateing spuds in the back garden with the stevens when i was 4 :D

ezridax wrote: »

Beat me to it :)

He don't know as much as he thinks he does :p

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Must be. Mine says "who is hereby authorised to have in their possession, use and carry..."

Not pedantic enough, it would appear.

Beat me to it :)

He don't know as much as he thinks he does :p

Nor do you Bunny, If you did you would be answering all the questions not just sniping from the long grass :p

The more I know, The more I know, I don't know.
    My knowledge of the world is limited to my experiences and my upbringing, I am not afraid to make mistakes or speak out on issue I believe in.
    Some just wait for others to make mistakes and then laugh, but are afraid to make mistakes them selves ;)

Nor do you Bunny, If you did you would be answering all the questions not just sniping from the long grass :p

The more I know, The more I know, I don't know.
    My knowledge of the world is limited to my experiences and my upbringing, I am not afraid to make mistakes or speak out on issue I believe in.
    Some just wait for others to make mistakes and then laugh, but are afraid to make mistakes them selves ;)

I only answer questions and comment on things I know about ;)

Using Google just isn't the same as real experience :P

Important thing about making mistakes it to learn from the mistakes ;)

I only answer questions and comment on things I know about ;)So do I bunny

Important thing about making mistakes it to learn from the mistakes ;)

Yes, I try.
    So what have been your mistakes to date?

my biggest mistake was giving to much open and honest information to you; when you were only engaging in entrapment to make a mockery of my opinions.

I was also advised to ignore you but I could not resist replying on issues I was passionate about, another big mistake on my behalf!

Yes, I try.

:cool:
    So what have been your mistakes to date?

Lots more than you :p
    my biggest mistake was giving to much open and honest information to you; when you were only engaging in entrapment to make a mockery of my opinions.

Now that is unfair :( I challenge your opinions which you obviously don't like :D
    I was also advised to ignore you but I could not resist replying on issues I was passionate about, another big mistake on my behalf!

Now that was good advice ;) You should really learn to accept such good advice :D All's not lost as long as you've learned from your mistake :p

:cool:

Lots more than you :p

Now that is unfair :( I challenge your opinions which you obviously don't like :D

Now that was good advice ;) You should really learn to accept such good advice :D All's not lost as long as you've learned from your mistake :p

I just can't resist.
    I only started posting on this boards site in earnest a few months ago as I started a college course that required a lot of research. Which meant I was online a lot.

upside I discovered today i have a WW1 bayonet and am in the process of finding the first owners name because of boards.

I also learned I was living close to a genius custom rifle maker because of boards.

To this I thank boards.
    So as this is completely off thread can we go back to taking a friend shooting.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I sence a bit of hostility lads. Everyday i log on im sure of a bit of bitchin from yee two:D:D
    This aint the ladies lounge:D

Aaaaanyways,
    So whats the story if i bring my brother with me on our own land. Can he not legally fire my my gun if im with him??? Or does it have to be an authorised range??/

• Advertisement

Can he not legally fire my my gun if im with him

Correct, legally he cannot fire your gun because he does not have a licence for it.

The best answer's you will get are in the previous posts #8, #10, and #11 (Read between the not-so-subtle lines!;))

If you are waiting for someone to suggest or advise you that you allow a non-licenced member of the public discharge your firearm over private land, and thus commit a crime, I would suggest that you may be a while looking for this advise.;)

It's kinda a strange question to be asking on a very public forum!:)

Advertisement