Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a friend shooting

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Dusty87 wrote: »
    ........... Can he not legally fire my my gun if im with him??? Or does it have to be an authorised range??/

Legally, no. Any person wishing to use anothers firearm must have a license (training cert) for that firearm. Legally. Irrespective of location, field, range, etc.

There is some law/legalities regarding shooting on an authorised range, but i'm not overly familiar with them, but i think that is with a club firearm and not someone else's firearm.

I'm sure the more educated amongst us will be here shortly to clarify.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

+1 what ez sayz
    but i think that is with a club firearm and not someone else's firearm

AFAIK, if you are not using your own gun for which you hold a FAC, you may only shoot on a range with a club gun, technically speaking;). But I'm very much open to correction on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

dCorbus wrote: »
    It's kinda a strange question to be asking on a very public forum!:)

dCorbus, i wasnt being smart with the question. I thought i had read somewhere that, once accompanied by landowner/firearm owner it was ok to use in their presence, if you understand. Now it could have been an english site. I cant remember its that long ago. I just said id ask so im 100% sure where the law lies.

PS. if you look back at threads the last few weeks, you will notice there's a lot of 'strange' almost 'trick questions' the last few weeks. Funny you should mention it, as me and another poster have been talking about it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ezridax wrote: »
    Legally, no. Any person wishing to use anothers firearm must have a license (training cert) for that firearm. Legally. Irrespective of location, field, range, etc.

There is some law/legalities regarding shooting on an authorised range, but i'm not overly familiar with them, but i think that is with a club firearm and not someone else's firearm.

If you're on an authorised range, you don't need a licence. At all. That's been confirmed by the DoJ as well - but local club rules may intervene. Check with your local RO first.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ezridax wrote: »

Sparks wrote:
    If you're on an authorised range, you don't need a licence. At all. That's been confirmed by the DoJ as well............

See. :D

Any chance, for me and others, you could elaborate? Can you use someone else's firearm on an authorised range? Or is it just club firearms?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

i wasnt being smart with the question

no worries, dusty87
    I didn't think you were being smart.

Thanks to captain sparks, as ever, for clarifying what has been clarified. It's good to see that the DoJ are taking a realistic and pragmatic approach to this. How else would any shooter (myself included) have got started in the sport otherwise.
    if you look back at threads the last few weeks, you will notice there's a lot of 'strange' almost 'trick questions' the last few weeks. Funny you should mention it, as me and another poster have been talking about it recently.

I'm glad you mentioned it - I was starting to think I was getting paranoid!

It almost seems, sometimes, as if we're being tested?
    Journos, DoJ, GS, who knows?
    Or maybe just trolls?:D

Best be careful out there!;)
    If you're on an authorised range, you don't need a licence. At all. That's been confirmed by the DoJ as well

Thanks for this sparks - Do we have this in writing or is there a regulation to back this up? Not doubting you obviously:D, I know you far too well, for that: But it would be good if you could point us to where or whom this has been confirmed? Thanks.

Again, my paranoic and pedantic tendencies kicking in - If I can't read it in B/W, and be able to quote the relevant section or regulation, it does sit comfortably with me.:o

(EDIT: Ezridax got there before me......Must.....type.....faster.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Section 2 (1) of the Firearms Act 1925 makes it an offence to possess, use or carry a firearm without having a certificate for it. Sections 2 (3) and 2 (4) then set out exceptions. Most of these are irrelevant to this discussion (Army, Gardaí, etc.) but section 2 (4) (d) relates to ranges and says it's okay as long as the range is authorised (section 2 (5)) and the firearm is not a restricted firearm (section 2 (6)):

"Section 2 (4) This section shall not apply to any of the following cases and such cases are accordingly excepted from this section, that is to say:

... (d) the possession, use or carriage of a firearm or ammunition during a competition or target practice at a club, shooting range or any other place that stands authorised under this section or section 4A of this Act

(5) (a) The Superintendent of any district may authorise in writing the possession, use or carriage of firearms or ammunition in that district in any of the circumstances specified in paragraphs (d), (e), (f), (g), (h), (j) or (k) of subsection (4) of this section, or of any component parts of a firearm during such period, not exceeding one year, as may be specified in the authorisation.

(6) In subsections (3)(g) and (4) (other than paragraphs (i) and (k)), references to a firearm or ammunition do not include references to a restricted firearm or restricted ammunition."

It's also permissible where the person has a firearms training certificate under section 2A. Again, this can't be a restricted firearm and must be under the supervision of a specified person over 18 years of age who holds a firearm certificate in respect of it, and where the firearm is used for target shooting, on the premises of an authorised rifle or pistol club or at an authorised shooting range or other place that stands authorised under section 2(5) of the Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

And of course there's the exceptions for auctioneers involved in firearms auction, staff in gunshops, a Garda in the course of his duty, members of the Defence Forces etc etc....

Long story short is don't give someone a lend of your gun and don't have a lend of someone's gun outside a range if you don't want to find yourself in a pile of potential bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sparks wrote: »
    If you're on an authorised range, you don't need a licence. At all. That's been confirmed by the DoJ as well - but local club rules may intervene. Check with your local RO first.

Anyone know where Clay Pigeon shooting stands in all of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Vegeta wrote: »
    Anyone know where Clay Pigeon shooting stands in all of this?

On a point of law there should be no difference, but I'll await the legal eagles on this one.
    Clay grounds are authorized ranges AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Clay pigeon grounds might be odd - they're not licenced as rifle ranges are, but could be authorised by the local superintendent without the licence, and it's that authorisation that counts.

Advertisement