Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry cleaner "cleaned me out"

• 08-05-2010 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi Guys,

There is a laundrette on james street dublin. Last month I went in and used the 'self service tumble dryer',,, great service only cost €3.50... The laundrette changed hands recently, now called "Spic and Span",,, now the exact same service (self dry 40 mins) costs €6.00.

THATS MORE THAN 40 % MORE EXPENSIVE

joke

I said it to the owner and his response was " thats why the last fella gave it up " .... real funny

I cant understand how people think 40% plus increases are acceptable???

SPIC AND SPAN has lost a customer

lw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Maybe he has a point, electricity is expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 littlewopper

dry cleaners at other end of james street, have same service for 4 euro. will be going there next time,

Energy prices have reduced in the last 2 years

Maybe SPIC and SPAN should make the Big Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why did the last fella give it up ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tumble dryers are evil when it comes to electricity so I'd understand why he put up prices, I'm curious....how exactly is this a consumer issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

I don't really understand what the issue is.

Old shop charges X for a service. New company opens up in the same place and charges Y for a service.

What's the problem? If you don't like it, there are many more laundry places available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

It's not a 40% increase.

It's a 71.4% increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Why did the last fella give it up ?

Maybe he sold up because he was making no money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

stupid thread is stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

At €6.00 I would hang them out on the line..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Better suited to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

mackmuffin wrote: »
    I don't really understand what the issue is.

Old shop charges X for a service. New company opens up in the same place and charges Y for a service.

What's the problem? If you don't like it, there are many more laundry places available.

There's always one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 littlewopper

SkidMark wrote: »
    It's not a 40% increase.

It's a 71.4% increase.

Fair play SkidMark. Even more ground for my point!!!! cheers

Rip off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SkidMark wrote: »
    It's not a 40% increase.

It's a 71.4% increase.

It's neither. Two different companies charging two different prices . The fact that they have the same premises is irrelevant.

The new owner never had a previous price so did'nt increase anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Cabaal wrote: »
    Tumble dryers are evil when it comes to electricity so I'd understand why he put up prices, I'm curious....how exactly is this a consumer issue?

littlewhopper is the consumer and he has an issue with the price of the service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

He was a consumer of the old laundrette. He went in to the new laundrette saw what was being charged and doesn't like it so will go elsewhere.

He is not a consumer of the new laundrette.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I'm preuming the old owner left because he wasn't making a profit with his prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-10-DRV61W&pages=1&prod=DRV61W&brands=BEKO

Instead of 26 trips to the new laundrette!!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

fail on several fronts
    1) vented tumble dryer, OP would require a vent to the outside of their home.
    2) doesn't include the cost of electricity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    littlewhopper is the consumer and he has an issue with the price of the service.
    Not really a consumer issue that you would expect in that forum. A consumer issue would be more like a dry cleaner damaging clothes etc. The title was the dry cleaner "cleaned me out", but they did not, the OP did not even use the service, they saw a higher price and decided not to pay -no real issue, they are not out of pocket in any way so there was no rip off.

A lot of these posters would have been better off posting in bargain requests.

I am not sure who benefits from these "expensive alerts", the bargain alerts forum is very popular for obvious reasons. If the clothes were still wet or damaged or something then it is an issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

The solution then is don't buy it, by your logic if I go into a shop and buy a Mars bar for say 80c and I think it should be 30c then its a consumer issue...
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just to say, a lot of the Cleaners about Dublin use gas for their tumble dryers, not electricity.

OP, shop around..

Advertisement