Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Year Visa

Options
  • 08-05-2010 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey I was just wondering if anybody has heard any success or failure stories about the new J1 Year Visa... finding work, accommodation etc.

Is New York a good spot to find work considering the amount of businesses there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 shtory

I'm planning to go on it to New York in September. I went on the J1 last summer and got intern work, but there is alot more work in my field (video and film) over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

I'm currently doing the 1 year J1 Visa. I had already got it set-up before going over to the US. It is hard work to find an employer who will take you on, usually only those who have done so previously, as they are unlikely to want the burden of having to complete a training plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

I am here on the visa now. It is a lot of work to find a company to take you on. I got lucky and got one. There is a lot of extra paper work for the host company so it is a lot of hassle for them. Also you cant just work any job, it has to be in the area you studied, and once you have found a job and have been offered a position you still have to wait for CIEE to give you clearance to start working with them. And there is always the chance that a site visit will be required which I am sure will mean more delays, and what employer wants someone coming into the office and poking around ? Is it really worth their hassle for an entry level position for a graduate from Ireland ?

I got very lucky and found an employer that was cool with going through all that hassle, but I can imagine a lot of them wouldn't be.

I would be careful. It costs a lot of money and has the possibility to go very wrong. But then if you don't try you will never know. If I hadn't taken the risk I would still be unemployed in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Yes keeping in mind that they will only carry out a site visit if the company makes less than $1,000,000 pa and has less than 25 employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ultron

despite what some people are saying on this, they are actually not too bothered about the type of job you get out there. They say it must be in your field of study which doesn't explain how two of my friends who studied business ended up working in bars. They are legally working with the year J Visa and no one had any problem with where they worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

ultron wrote: »
    despite what some people are saying on this, they are actually not too bothered about the type of job you get out there. They say it must be in your field of study which doesn't explain how two of my friends who studied business ended up working in bars. They are legally working with the year J Visa and no one had any problem with where they worked.

oh i really like the sound of that.. im goin over in august and have been debatinf whether i should get the visa or just go over on the 3 month holiday and enjoy myself and travel around.But i've decided to go with the year visa now and just try it out cause i think ill regret it in the future if i don't give it a try at least... Do you know what company your friends went through to get the visa? How long have your friends been over there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ultron

my mates got the visa through usit and they've been over there for about 7 months now i think. As i said no hassle getting jobs, well no hassle from the authorities on the US side, you might just have the usual trouble of actually finding a job

Advertisement