Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Engineering Courses

Options
  • 08-05-2010 6:50pm

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of doing a sound engineering course sometime in the future and I am looking for some advice. The only 2 colleges that I can find are Pulse Recording Studios (www.pulsecollege.eu) and Sound Training Center (www.soundtraining.com/).

Has anyone here had any experiences with either college? The courses that I am looking at are the part-time diploma in Pulse (for all 3 years, plus possibly Digidesign Protools 310M) and the part-time Sound and Music Technology or Sound Engineering, Lighting and Stage Production in the Sound Training Center.

I would probably be leaning more towards the Pulse course because it is the only Pro School in Ireland (and there are only 6 in Europe) which suggests to me a high level of standard.

Anyway if anyone could help with this it would be great and if you know of any other courses please let me know, thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, I've just spotted this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055255437&highlight=pulse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭noodle650

Pulse know exactly what they are on about, Tony (founder) would be in the top 30 guys in Europe for knowledge about Protools and mixing within it. they also know exactly what to teach
    Heading there in September

• Registered Users Posts: 15 scotthalliday

I went to Pulse.. 2 years.. It was deadly!!! I would recommend it to anyone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

For what it's worth, Virtu Studios offer the City & Guilds 7503 music technology and sound engineering courses at level 1, 2 and 3 for full and part time students.

The marketing hasn't started until next week or so. But course prices will be highly competitive.

Thanks, I'll check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Gel

Well, while we're at it..Poppyhill School of Recording also offer the 7503 City & Guilds Diploma courses on a full or part-time basis. They are also a Digidesign certified training location and offer Pro Tools certification up to the full 210 operator level.
    They are also an Apple approved training centre offer Logic and Soundtrack Pro training.
    Check them out at www.poppyschool.com

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll check it out

Do!

PM me if you want. We're definitely offering something a little different.

Yeah, give us a shout as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Gel and Studiorat would you happen to know what evenings your part time courses are on? I've band practice and would have to try and rearrange things if the days don't suit.

Cheers

Hi eire1,

Part-time courses usually run Mon. and Wed. evening 7 pm to 9.30/10.00 pm
    plus optional practical sessions on Sats.
    If you'd like to pay us a visit to view the facilities and have a chat please give us a call on 045 862194 or email us at info@poppyschool.com

Cheers

Gel

Not sure yet, we'll need to see what works for the people attending. The course will run over 24 weeks so it'll be 3 or 4 evenings a week, it's pretty intensive.

The time table will depend on how many are in each work group too I suppose. I guess we'll stick everyones name in the pot and see what's best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Thanks for the info.
    Sadly Gel your studio is too far away, I've a full time job, would never make it out there for the evening.

No worries! Best of luck with whatever course you choose. If you put the work in it'll be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Hey everyone.

I'm just wondering does anyone here have any experience with the Sound Training Centre in Templebar or Pulse Studios in Dublin? I want to study sound engineering, preferably a course with alot of hands on experience and a recognised qualification upon completion. I've looked around online and these seem to be the two most popular places, though Pulse looks crazy expensive.

If anyone could give some advice on these I'd really appreciate it.

Hi,
    If you want you can check out our school at www.poppyschool.com
    We offer City & Guilds qualifications and we are also a Digidesign and Apple approved training centre. Our classes are very practical based and we work with small groups so you will get plenty of hands-on.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do!

Advertisement