Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5, Episode 6 - "The Vampires of Venice"

• 08-05-2010 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

Well, what did we think of that?

It was alright I thought, but not fantastic. Your typical historical episode with alien-origin monsters that humans see as something else (The Shakespeare Code comes to mind).

Nice to see Rory sticking around for a bit, I like it when he has more than one companion at the same time.

Hot girls were a plus :P

Overall, 6/10 for me

Next episode looks good though

Comments

I liked it! Some good lines in there (
    'Yours is bigger than mine.' 'Let's not get into that'
    xD) Next week's looks mind bending, should be good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Not a particular strong episode in my opinion, there didn't really seem to be a point in having Amy's fiancé in it -
    and just when you taught it would turn into something - we saw the spoiler for next week with her 5 years in the future and pregnant, yes, Doctor Who acknowledged sex!

Anyway, the episode this week was slightly disappointing because I wasn't particularly interested in it and after last week it was a plain "monster of the week" style story, like X-Files used to do, and unlike X-Files there was nothing that good about it.

Unfortunately it's the poorest story of the series so far and really let the series down, hopefully next week will be better

"Vampires?! Don't be absurd - they're fish from space!"

space-fish-500px.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055905851

Another thread about this at the same time lol

But personally I didn't like the episode, and put in a little picture of a fish for everyone lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Some very funny bits, the start with the wedding cake, "tired of running down corridors" line was brilliant and the chicken fight scene.

Amy looking better than ever and gorgeous vampires.

Some of the CGI stuff was dodgy.

Overall 6.5/10.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TheCapedCrusade

Decent plot, didn't follow the story as the pacing was awful.

Next weeks story looks to be good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I though it was a good episode. I really like Matt as the doctor.

Although what about the competely unresolved issue of
    the man-eating fish living at the bottom of the canal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I thought it was OK - bit hard to follow last week really. Strong on the humour and I like Rory now - he's a bit gormless but will stand up for himself when he needs to. Good that the crack is really an arc now - unlike previous ones where it was just hinted at subtly until we got to the end of the series. Best thing about the episode though was the trailer for next week - it looks like a really old fashioned Doctor Who story, and I mean that in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Rory - "And you kissed her back."
    Doctor - "No...I kissed her lips"
    :pac:

Overall, meh.

As said above, the pacing was pants, there were some good moments, and the whole "vampire" stance was pretty good, until it turned into some naff alien thing.
    Why couldn't it have just been an alien that looks like a vampire? Not some stupid CGI nightmare? :mad:

Which bring me onto the next point; The CGI. It was ridiculous. The CGI water, the villain, the lightening. It was like watching some weird b-movie.

Overall, 6.5/10.
    Good idea, badly executed.

Next week looks awesome though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I though it was a good episode. I really like Matt as the doctor.

Although what about the competely unresolved issue of
    the man-eating fish living at the bottom of the canal?
    I think it's implied that they are all going to die, maybe because they have nothing to feed on. And I assume the mother died when she jumped in, so their main guardian is gone too.Not long till they follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It was the weakest of this series so far, but it was still a lot better than some of Tennant's outings... I think Matt Smith and Karen Gillan really make the show - its good to see a lot more character driven sideplots than what we've seen in previous years... Smith proving again tonight why he's a great Doctor with some fantastic lines - loved the scene with the mirror...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Humour was good but over all it was a bit of a "meh" episode for me too.. Roll on next week..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I quite liked it - it was good for a "monster-of-the-week" episode and I thought it was better than the Hasbro Dalek episode.

Rory was pretty decent and he didn't show himself up too much.

Some decent elements of humour too. And come on long-term fans: how could you not dig a photo ID of William Hartnell?

I think what's able to carry these episodes are the two leads. Matt Smith is still impressing me and I thought he did humour well here.

I've no idea about next week (nor do I want to) but I'm glad to hear you think it looks good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I think it's implied that they are all going to die, maybe because they have nothing to feed on. And I assume the mother died when she jumped in, so their main guardian is gone too.Not long till they follow.
    Oh I know but they're still down there in the meantime. Suppose it's only dangerous if someone decides to go swimming:pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

It was an okay episode, alright story, some dodgy effects but pretty decent. The character of Rory seems great, I'm going to enjoy him being in the TARDIS. The darker tone of this season was very apparent in this episode, I liked that.

I was disappointed with this episode because it's the one I've been looking forward to most (well bar last week's and the week before's). It featured a lot in the season's initial trailer and they released clips of it before the season even started so when the vampires turned out to be stupid fish people and certain pieces of the plot (such as not being able to go out in sunlight and then being out in the sunlight) didn't add up I was quite disappointed...then I saw the promo for next week's episode and I didn't care anymore. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I quite liked it, my favourite of the season except for the angel eps. I'm always on the wrong end of public opinion on this forum :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Felt that it was an ok episode, solid but spectacular. There is always an episode like this in every tv program, it has to be done and to make it interesting a key piece of info is put into it.

In relation to the CGI, looked very cheap i have to say could of been better. But i assume that this was an episode that was designated a cheap one budget wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

They spent all the money on a trip to Croatia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Above average Who-historical-aliens romp. Certainly worked better than spitfires in space...

Nice humour touches, and Matt Smith showing range I don't think many people expected of him. I liked Rory, and think it would be good to have him in the TARDIS a little more. Gillan just seems to keep delivering. All in all, not half bad as a standalone monster of the week episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Oh I know but they're still down there in the meantime. Suppose it's only dangerous if someone decides to go swimming:pac:.

they clearly evolved into:

On the episode it was a bit muddled but overall a romp through history that was a tad bit more serious then the shakespeare code and an ok episode.

muddled issues include the random
    reflecting a make up case was it? to kill the son, but the sky had been blacked out etc? slightly confused me

better then the dalek episode but weaker then everything else this season.

Also is this season going a bit too similar to season 2? we've picked up the boyfriend fiance and he's now having a spat with the doctor over his girl
    (and we know this season ends with cybermen again...)
    we also had an episode with someone who knows the doctor better then the companion show up (river song - sarah jane).

Looking forward to next week though kinda like the idea of a dream lord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    they clearly evolved into:

On the episode it was a bit muddled but overall a romp through history that was a tad bit more serious then the shakespeare code and an ok episode.

muddled issues include the random
    reflecting a make up case was it? to kill the son, but the sky had been blacked out etc? slightly confused me

better then the dalek episode but weaker then everything else this season.

Also is this season going a bit too similar to season 2? we've picked up the boyfriend fiance and he's now having a spat with the doctor over his girl
    (and we know this season ends with cybermen again...)
    we also had an episode with someone who knows the doctor better then the companion show up (river song - sarah jane).

Looking forward to next week though kinda like the idea of a dream lord.

I didn't know... Nor did I want to... Spoiler tags would've been nice there...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

As a fan of the odd hammer horror film I hugely enjoyed this (it was a clear homage to them). As with others I kinda lost a little interest when it turned out they were fish monsters. Seeing as in extended media the time lords fought a war with space vampires, it wouldn't have been too hard to just leave them as a species of vampires?

Still I really enjoyed it as it sent memories rushing back as it trbuted to another old British fantasy tradition but I can see why people who never dug that would think this one's weak. :)
    ixoy wrote: »

I quite liked it - it was good for a "monster-of-the-week" episode and I thought it was better than the Hasbro Dalek episode.

Some decent elements of humour too. And come on long-term fans: how could you not dig a photo ID of William Hartnell?

As a transformers fan, you take that back about Hasbro! :(

(Aside no 1- remind me to tell you all about the time the 8th Doctor almost met the transformers.)

(Aside no 2- Yeah I lolled at Hartnell.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I wasn't hugely moved by the episode. But I did like the dialogue a lot. I felt more could have been made by Smith at the end of the female's comment about watching another race died, but then that may have harked back to much to Tennant's sometimes mournful doctor.

LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED the library card. Best thing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The absolute best part of the episode was the comment about the mother providing females for her sons. "Uhhhhhh. I mean I've been around a bit but thats just................. Uhhhhh". :)

Also the blonde Vampire girl that was featured a lot was an absolute BANG. Lets hope the trend of companions having previous roles in Doctor Who continues and she gets the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

GSPfan wrote: »
    Also the blonde Vampire girl that was featured a lot was an absolute BANG. Lets hope the trend of companions having previous roles in Doctor Who continues and she gets the next one.

All of them were gorgeous, but yes, she was my favourite!

Just watched it again on BBC3 and nod to Doctor Doom, definitely a homage to Hammer Horrors. Should have spotted that, especially the cross sign.

The first 20/25 minutes was very good, the introduction of the fish ruined it and the references to DT and the timelords.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I thought most of the homages leant back to Toby Whithouse's own excellent Vampire show 'Being Human', Francessco was clearly a take on Herrick's right hand man Seth and the fight had hall marks of 'worlds gayest ninjas', as with the attempted cross diversion.
    Like Being Human it was a good mix of humor and drama, (I was laughing all the way into the title sequence from the moment the Doctor popped his head out of the cake.)

I'm just gonna through this out there and I don't expect a positive response but is any one else getting used to the theme tune? I'm even starting to like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I missed it on Saturday because I didnt realise it was on at 6pm. I also missed it on BBC3 tonight because I was at a family do. I cant watch it on the iPlayer so is there any other way to see this weeks episode again? Will it be repeated on BBC3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

marwelie wrote: »
    I missed it on Saturday because I didnt realise it was on at 6pm. I also missed it on BBC3 tonight because I was at a family do. I cant watch it on the iPlayer so is there any other way to see this weeks episode again? Will it be repeated on BBC3?

It is repeated on Friday at 9pm

Didn't think this episode was great personally

I liked a lot of the little touches and there were some great lines and references but on the whole it just didn't sum up

This is the first episode of Doctor Who that I have forced the girlfriend to watch so it was disdappointing that it was a let down

I still have both Flesh and Stone eps on the ntl box so I will try and convince/trick/bribe her to watch them and hopefully she like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

I actually enjoyed this one. Not so much the Fish Monsters From Space plot, but the fact that Matt Smith didn't spend the whole time running around and shouting, so we actually got a little more of his take on The Doctor.

I thought Rory was ok, a little too like Mickey as someone already pointed out. I also thought his comments to the Doctor ( about making people do dangerous things to impress him ) were good, but maybe a little too soon ( he's only met the Doctor twice ) and were harking back to 'Love & Monsters' by trying to show what it's like for the people left behind or after the Doctor has left.

But, like I said, it was good to see a slightly quieter Doctor ( in parts ) so we could get a sense of how he thinks / feels etc.

J.

Advertisement