Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Series 5, Episode 6 - "The Vampires of Venice"

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Thanks dapoolrulz!
    Just saying...don't like her. I loved Rose and Donna,couldn't stand martha. It's just i would prefer if she (amelia) was a bit more clueless,iykwim? She seems to know TOO much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I don't think she knows as much as she makes out: she seemed quite helpless and lost when things took a turn for the worse last week & she was blind. I suspect most of her is bravado, banter and sarcasm. Donna was similar, but in her case it was more of a lippy gob.

mmmmmmm. I just think she has too much on her plate...like she is meant to be superwoman....too much,too quickly. Rose is the way she is as she had been with the doctor for years,same with donna. Martha was pretty crap...but then she wasn't meant to be fantastic. I really couldn't believe it when she walked the earth evading the master for a year,she had the survival skills of a gnat....but that's a whole other thread,lol.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd argue Donna was like that with the Doctor straight off - not something she got from being years with him. No different with Amy. In fact, in some deeply distrubed way, she's been with the Doctor in some form for years too (even if only in her fantasies). I quite like her confidence and eagerness and I'm defnitely not using her looks to overlook things since I couldn't care less!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Also, to continue the comparisons with Sarah Jane, she was also pretty confident & sarky from the off; nothing rattled to her to such an extent that should couldn't fire a quick aside back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

ixoy wrote: »
    I'd argue Donna was like that with the Doctor straight off - not something she got from being years with him. No different with Amy. In fact, in some deeply distrubed way, she's been with the Doctor in some form for years too (even if only in her fantasies). I quite like her confidence and eagerness and I'm defnitely not using her looks to overlook things since I couldn't care less!

Well I can't claim the same excuse but lines like "my boys" and "I'm not clingy" make her much more human and likable than Rose and Martha ever were to me. I like the way her obsession with the Doctor is NOT a healthy thing for once :D

I still think Donna's evolution from gobby ca-ow to a caring human being and the heart breaking reversion (End of time doesn't count on account of it being thick) makes her a better character than Amy, but then Amy's only been about a third of the air time of Donna so far.

Maybe...although i'm not getting the whole series,not just amy. I'm finding it a bit boring tbh. I could watch 9 & 10 over and over (and have) but the writing now seems to be very childish? I mean the fish people actually asked the doctor for help,he could have helped them relocate to another planet but no,the mother didn't know the girls name so they all had to die.....right.
    And it's not matt smiths fault, he has the look,the acting skills. It's not Karen's fault either,she's just playing an unlikeable (for me) character. It's weird that the only one i really like so far is Rory....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

angelll wrote:
    It's weird that the only one i really like so far is Rory....

Why, did he fart?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So much of the visuals I have to say were like Venice as protrayed in assasins creed 2
    Yeah, thought the same. Or as I thought, "oh, it's like that game I vaguely recall someone playing over Christmas".

Stark wrote: »
    Why, did he fart?

?????
    Sorry don't get this?

• Advertisement

angelll wrote:
    Maybe...although i'm not getting the whole series,not just amy. I'm finding it a bit boring tbh. I could watch 9 & 10 over and over (and have) but the writing now seems to be very childish?
    angelll wrote: »
    ?????
    Sorry don't get this?
    Because many of us found RTD's era far more childish than anything Moffat has done. This included farting aliens as well as little cartoony adipose nonsense.

I'm finding this season far less childish than before and far better pitched at being a family show. Could you really say the Weeping Angels 2-parter was more childish than the Dalek hybrid 2-part crapfest we had a few years ago? Was "The Beast Below" childish at all?! Very strongly disagree with the assertion that this season is more childish than what's gone before but I'd be interested in seeing why you think that other than that example above, to which I'd say: farting aliens, aliens made from fat, cactus aliens, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Did not like this episode but next weeks looks class, huge Doctor Fan and Matt Smith is doing a great job not as good as David Tennant but who could be

ixoy wrote: »
    Because many of us found RTD's era far more childish than anything Moffat has done. This included farting aliens as well as little cartoony adipose nonsense.

I'm finding this season far less childish than before and far better pitched at being a family show. Could you really say the Weeping Angels 2-parter was more childish than the Dalek hybrid 2-part crapfest we had a few years ago? Was "The Beast Below" childish at all?! Very strongly disagree with the assertion that this season is more childish than what's gone before but I'd be interested in seeing why you think that other than that example above, to which I'd say: farting aliens, aliens made from fat, cactus aliens, and so on.

Righty get the farting quote now,sorry was wondering what i had missed,lol. Re the weeping angels,no the aliens as such were not childish but they weren't very scary. One grabbed the doctors jacket but that didn't send him back in time,amy also bumped into one and that didn't do anything either....the fact that with one touch they could send you back in time was a big part of blink,but now they kill by breaking someones neck? And stealing the voice cord thingys? Why? 'We want you to know he died screaming' Why does the doctor need to know that? Why do they want him to get angry as opposed to anyone else? Why haven't they spoken before?
    The Daleks are meant to be crappy,lol :D
    The beast below was good i guess but what was with the puppet sideshow? No need for it and no real explanation for them.
    As for the 'vampires' in this episode. Either they can go outside or they can't,which? At one stage all they need is a sheet over their heads, in another they can't have the sun on them at all but one blast of mirrored sunlight from Amy and the guy disintegrates? And why was the doctor electrocuted one minute and grand the next? Why did the fishman not get down and jiggy himself with the girls they had changed?
    As for the aliens made from fat...they were fair cute so they're forgiven,lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

One grabbed the doctors jacket but that didn't send him back in time,amy also bumped into one and that didn't do anything either....the fact that with one touch they could send you back in time was a big part of blink,but now they kill by breaking someones neck? And stealing the voice cord thingys? Why? 'We want you to know he died screaming' Why does the doctor need to know that? Why do they want him to get angry as opposed to anyone else? Why haven't they spoken before?

Gosh too many Whovian fans over-analyse things. They killed people to get their voice cords to speak. People mentioned this is the episode. They want the Doctor angry because they think they can win if he is angry. The dragging his jacket surprised the Doctor as well, and - since the jacket reappeared in the episode - it is relevant to some series arc. Why was he still alive? He asked himself. That will be answered sometime.

As for the rest the real problem you should have with Dr. Who is that there is a guy going back in time and finding stuff that never happened, and has never been recorded. If you accept that there were alien fish who took over Venice then how much sun they can handle is pretty minor. It's a lesser suspension of belief.

I like it to be consistent, and not deus ex machina. Beyond that it is a romp.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

One grabbed the doctors jacket but that didn't send him back in time,amy also bumped into one and that didn't do anything either....the fact that with one touch they could send you back in time was a big part of blink,but now they kill by breaking someones neck? Why?

The original Weeping Angels sent their victims back in time to feast upon their "potential energy", wasn't it? But unlike the starving stragglers in Blink, the Weeping Angel army was being fed by the radiation inferno surrounding the Byzantium. My guess is that they snapped their victims' necks simply because they weren't hungry, and to ensure that nothing could stop the Angels' resurrection.

Also, must say that I loved Vampires of Venice despite the fish-from-space silliness. The stag night scene at the start, the tension between Rory and The Doctor, and the William Hartnel library card were way too good to be dissatisfied with the episode.

Good point about the radiation,i'd forgotten that. Pittens i do realise it's not actually real :p . I'm a big fan and so far have been disappointed with this series, and was just explaining why. Saturdays episode looks brillliant...so hopefully it will be a turning point.

I'm a big fan and so far have been disappointed with this series, and was just explaining why. Saturdays episode looks brillliant...so hopefully it will be a turning point.
    Just a query - did you like "The End of Time"? 'Coz that was one episode. more than most, filled with illogical plot holes and poor characterisation.

Ok true....don't make me eat my words ,lol. The master was so ridiculous in that episode,it was like watching xmen instead of dr who. But all the OTHER episodes were brilliant!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ok true....don't make me eat my words ,lol. The master was so ridiculous in that episode,it was like watching xmen instead of dr who. But all the OTHER episodes were brilliant!

What's wrong with the x-men?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FishFood

Originally Posted by angelll viewpost.gif
    One grabbed the doctors jacket but that didn't send him back in time,amy also bumped into one and that didn't do anything either....the fact that with one touch they could send you back in time was a big part of blink,but now they kill by breaking someones neck? Why?

Might be wrong but I thought in the case of the Doctor it had to do with them needing him to jump or be thrown into the crack in time to seal it?

In amy's case the doctor says it himself, they are running scared from the time crack and are only interested in defending themselves when they think Amy can see them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement