Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been in Dicey's *recently*?

Options
  • 08-05-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Ok before this turns into another "rant about how crappy Dicey's garden was/is" thread, I'm very specifically looking for people who've been there recently, AKA in 2010, the closer to now the better.

I know people attack the price of drinks and the staff in the place, but I've heard things have seriously improved recently so I'm just wondering if anyone has a recent experience there they'd like to review? I'm thinking about booking the function room for my 21st but I obviously want to make sure everyone has an amazing night, so things like staff / bouncers and drinks prices are pretty important...

EDIT: For the record, I really like the place. But I tend not to drink as much as most of my friends so things like drinks prices never really put me off personally, and since I tend to be less drunk I usually steer clear of trouble with bouncers etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Ok before this turns into another "rant about how crappy Dicey's garden was/is" thread, I'm very specifically looking for people who've been there recently, AKA in 2010, the closer to now the better.

I know people attack the price of drinks and the staff in the place, but I've heard things have seriously improved recently so I'm just wondering if anyone has a recent experience there they'd like to review? I'm thinking about booking the function room for my 21st but I obviously want to make sure everyone has an amazing night, so things like staff / bouncers and drinks prices are pretty important...

EDIT: For the record, I really like the place. But I tend not to drink as much as most of my friends so things like drinks prices never really put me off personally, and since I tend to be less drunk I usually steer clear of trouble with bouncers etc.

Been there quite a few times always liked it, drinks are very expensive on the weekends. You could go on the nights that they do cheap offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Was there about two weeks ago.

It was grand. They seem to focus a lot of their business on functions so large areas seem to be cordoned off.

Staff/bouncers were grand and drink...same prices as most places in town. They also do burgers outside in the garden which is cool.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

kenon wrote: »
    Was there about two weeks ago.

It was grand. They seem to focus a lot of their business on functions so large areas seem to be cordoned off.

Staff/bouncers were grand and drink...same prices as most places in town. They also do burgers outside in the garden which is cool.

What night was this on? Was it a regular pub night or a club night (music, lights etc in the beer garden, dancefloor inside the glass doors?)

And yes the cordoned off area is the room I was thinking abotu booking for the 21st, it looks amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

Was there on Wed and Thurs a few weeks ago, 2.50 and 3 eur a drink respectively those nights. Saw them advertising on the screens its €3 on a Thurs and €4 on Friday per drink, thats pretty good for a Friday in that part of town. Place was wedged, great craic and absolutley no scummers. The bouncers were very selective as I recall when queuing to get in(no jerseys etc allowed in). Just goes to show what total bollox publicans talk in this city when they say they can't make money. On the Wed(when the colleges were off might I add) the place was absolutle jointed and only charging 2.50 a drink. Both nights the place had more bouncers in one place than I've ever seen, and they can afford all them whilst charging so little for drink, and thats most drinks, not just the usual selection of gak places put on special.
    It seems to prove if a pub competes vigourously on price and ensure that knacks cant get in they'll clean up. Now if only a place would do something like this Sat night in town......

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Been there a few Tuesdays ago...2 blips a pint. Good big boozer with a healthy mix in crowd. Sound spot when the price is right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

What night was this on? Was it a regular pub night or a club night (music, lights etc in the beer garden, dancefloor inside the glass doors?)

And yes the cordoned off area is the room I was thinking abotu booking for the 21st, it looks amazing...
    It was a Saturday night so the place was packed. The function room was booked for a 21st and there was an area (benches at the back) in the garden booked for some work party. Tables inside were reserved as well.

I've been in the function room before for a 21st years ago and it was quite good. The use of the garden is a nice bonus.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I was there on a Wednesday night about a month ago. Beer garden was fairly full, big enough queues at the bars. They "ran out" of all the decent bottled beer, and didn't have the cocktails they advertised at all. The "jaeger bomb" advertised at €2.50 was not a jaeger bomb, but pre mixed stuff.
    You can have a cheap night if you drink whatever is cheap midweek, but not the style of bar i'd be interested in. Bar staff weren't great either, one guy went mental cos he was waiting so long to get served! We were standing near enough a bar outside, so just went up when the queue died down.
    Not a hope in hell i'd go at the weekend (just cos souless superpub is not my style of bar), not even for the €4 friday. And if you bring your girlfriend vodka and coke costs about €8.50 every night!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

This place has by and far the biggest tools of bouncers in Dublin. For a start there's too many of them so you can't have a drink in peace without having them peering over you. They're also far too fussy and treat paying customers like children e.g. you can't stand there, you can't leave your drink there etc.

Definately not worth the hassle even for the cheap booze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I have to say the door workers were terrible there.I certainly won't be going back as I believe in good customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Peadar_85 wrote: »
    This place has by and far the biggest tools of bouncers in Dublin. For a start there's too many of them so you can't have a drink in peace without having them peering over you. They're also far too fussy and treat paying customers like children e.g. you can't stand there, you can't leave your drink there etc.

Definately not worth the hassle even for the cheap booze

I know. I've been twice, and I was a student in Dublin for 6 years. Wasn't even worth the cheap gargle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Was there a couple of months ago but it was too packed as it usually is but this was taking the piss. I left without even getting a drink. I dont think i will go back for a good while unless they address the issue.

Advertisement