Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona for 4 weeks - Then 2 weeks of travelling around Spain

• 08-05-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I'm going to Barcelona for a month to learn Spanish so I'm looking for stuff to do in the afternoons and on the weekends.

After that I have two weeks in Spain with no plans so I'm looking for the best places to go. Madrid is on the list, after that I've got nothing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and I'm am avoiding the Costa Del Sol at all costs :) Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Parenthood

It'll take you a month to just do some of the well worth attractions...a few examples.
    • Montjuic: a great view of the city
    • Colour display of the XXX fountain, Thur-Sun evening in the summer.
    • Ramblas for a stroll
    • Barrio Gotico - not the safest for a lone traveller in the evening, but great place to get lost.
    • Sagrada Familia - Impressive half built church, Barcelonas symbol.
    • Parque Gaudi - pretty park with a load of mosaic creations (same creator as Sagrada Familia)
    If you're there in July try finding out about the neighbourhood festivities, that can be a great experience. Most neighbourhoods would have some kind of celebration.

Madrid is great, but hard to take in over a weekend. San Sebastian to the north is amazing, Girona is interesting and quaint, Burgos is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

Don't rule out Malaga, the city itself is great and not in any way package holiday-y. Its very Spanish. Not as cool as Barce or Madrid though.
    Granada is meant to be awesome, its a student city, i haven't been but it is apparently amazing, laid back kinda hippy vibe.
    Also look up music festivals there are loads all over Spain, really good ones too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

muffy wrote: »
    Don't rule out Malaga, the city itself is great and not in any way package holiday-y. Its very Spanish. Not as cool as Barce or Madrid though.
    Granada is meant to be awesome, its a student city, i haven't been but it is apparently amazing, laid back kinda hippy vibe.
    Also look up music festivals there are loads all over Spain, really good ones too.

Ohh I'm so glad you mentioned Granada - cos I was going to! Granada is an amazing city - you've got to go there. You can go skiing and be on the beach in the same day - you've got the Sierra Nevada mountains to the north and the beach to the south - check out Almunecar and Salobrena.

Beautiful city and the essence of Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

If you are gonna be based in Barcelona for a month , well worth it to take a trip up north to the costa brava, and it is easy to get away from the resorts, lovel coves and beaches up around Blanes that are relatively secluded.

Sitges(south) is a cool place to visit for a day aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

Ramblas is supposed to be amazing .. Im going in July to Barca definately have to go to Camp Nou also!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Some_randomer

Ramblas is supposed to be amazing .. Im going in July to Barca definately have to go to Camp Nou also!!:D

La Ramblas is great till about 11pm or midnight, then all the hookers, dealers, and hustlers start the night shift. Me and my mate our first night there we were walking kind of slow down one of the side streets...out of nowhere we were accosted by 5 or 6 hookers, one arm around us and the other trying to get into our pockets...very aggressive as well just wouldn't take no for an answer.

Other friends that have been there for a wedding couple of years back, 15 out of 17 of them were mugged or had stuff stolen...would say to anyone to be very careful on the ramblas late at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 HereIGo

My advice is to be very very careful of your money. The place is full of professional pickpockets. My friend had his money taken from his money wallet which he had underneath his shirt. On a busy train with people all around and the money was gone before he knew it. Keep it in a safe, divide it up, only bring out what you need, etc. After all that - can I wish you a great time!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

Yeah its like the pick-pocket capitol of Europe I believe, kids too so they are barely noticed and you dont suspect them while they leg it off with your wallet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Hey guys thanks for all your replies. I've experienced pretty much everything Barcelona has to offer, from the many Gaudi sculptures to the pick-pockets of La Rambla.

And in case anyone's wondering, I decided to go for Rome, because I got a cheap flight, and Valencia for my my travels

Advertisement