Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Theory About What's Going On In Series 5 at the moment....

• 08-05-2010 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

Every series finale seems to reveal new information about the Time War, and considering we actually sort of see some of it in "The End of Time", it's not surprising we learn a few shocking new details. Although most of what we hear are more details meant to convey the sheer incomprehensibility of the Time War - the Nightmare Child is mentioned again, along with new additions like the wonderfully named Could've Been King and his Army of Meanwhiles and Neverweres - there is one tidbit that might matter later on.

When the doomed Time Lady offers a status report on the Doctor to Rassilon at the beginning of part two, we learn that the Doctor "still possesses the Moment and he'll use it to destroy Daleks and Time Lords alike." Now, from a storytelling perspective, mentioning the Moment may not have any significance in and of itself. After all, it's necessary to establish that this is the last day of the Time War and that the Time Lords know their destruction is close at hand. Since we already know the Doctor was the one that end the Time War, mentioning the Doctor in his capacity as Gallifrey's destroyer makes perfect sense. So maybe the Moment is just a matter of narrative convenience, and we won't hear about it again.

Still, for the first time, we know what the Doctor used to end the Time War, or more accurately we know its name. We can at least assume it is a thing of immense power, and the fact that it is called "the Moment" suggests it has something to do with the nature of time itself. This links into what's happening in series 5 with "the silence" and time leaking through...

Whatever it is, it seems like just the kind of item Steven Moffat might need if he ever wants to bring the Time Lords back to stay. As such, there's a decent chance that this isn't the last we've heard of the Moment, especially now that the Master is presumably trapped in the Time War and could conceivably gain access to it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

that would be so cool if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd be very, very, very surprised if it had anything to do with anything that we have seen from anything other than this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

My take on LOTTL was that "the moment" was a "thing" of somesort, a device, which when The Doctor used it resulted in the Time Bubble/thingy that the Time War was Timelocked in. As such it was just a line that RTD used for exposition.

One thing that I may or may not be correct in is that I thought I heard the Cloister Bell sounding in the TARDIS in The Eleventh Hour. Weather that is conencted to what we saw in Episode 2 of Last of the Time Lords I dont know, or it may simply be the TARDIS warning of the Cracks which will lead to Silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Wasn't the Cloister Bell in the Eleventh Hour just about the damage to the TARDIS that caused it to rebuild itself? Or was there another instance of it later that I missed?

its spoosed to signify bigger events than that though, so i think its to do with the crack in time. now that we know that the opening scenes were in June 1996 maybe it was a banjaxed TARDIS going through time that caused the crack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 NI Nightmare

My take on "the moment" was that the Doctor had somehow actually gained possesion of a particular moment in time, in the case the time war, which then would allow him to lock it in some way.

Also I don't think it's the exploding Tardis that's caused the cracks as it already been alluded to that this could go back as far as stolen earth

My take on "the moment" was that the Doctor had somehow actually gained possesion of a particular moment in time, in the case the time war, which then would allow him to lock it in some way.

Also I don't think it's the exploding Tardis that's caused the cracks as it already been alluded to that this could go back as far as stolen earth

which would make sense, but you could also go back to Doomsday

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

which would make sense, but you could also go back to Doomsday

No, it's my day and you can't have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I think you may have a fight on your hands:

hcISw.jpg

every day is my day

(sounds like a song :D)