Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stand mixer

Options
  • 08-05-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a stand mixer, and I'm not quite sure which ones are good/not.

I've been having a look at Kenwood Chefs/Kitchenaid, former seem quite good and later seem quite expensive, I was just wondering if you could reccomend me the best one for around max 200 euro,

Thank you,

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I have a Kenwood it's the one with a whisk, dough hook and paddle.
    I've had no probs. with it so far and been using it a lot, looks good too.

Kitchenaids seem to be very popular something I am considering eventually but at the mo can't afford one so I went with the Kenwood at the time think it was under the 200 mark but can't remember rightly. Wasn't anyway near as dear as a kitchenaid.

Some people have had probs with kenwood appliances, so far so good here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I have a Kenwood it's the one with a whisk, dough hook and paddle.
    I've had no probs. with it so far and been using it a lot, looks good too.

Kitchenaids seem to be very popular something I am considering eventually but at the mo can't afford one so I went with the Kenwood at the time think it was under the 200 mark but can't remember rightly. Wasn't anyway near as dear as a kitchenaid.

What is so much better about the kitchenaid?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The pretty colours and the fact that you can make it part of a matching set to have a 'lifestyle' kitchen!!

Seriously though, I'm considering a stand mixer myself and am tempted by a kenwood chef that includes a promotional mincing attachment. I know you can buy a bunch of attachments for the kitchenaid - pasta makers and such like - but I know I'd never use one of those. I'm actually not a huge fan of fresh pasta and I nearly never cook things I don't like to eat myself. (I know it's sacreligious not to like fresh pasta. I don't like steak either. Excommunicate me now.)

The pretty colours and the fact that you can make it part of a matching set to have a 'lifestyle' kitchen!!

Seriously though, I'm considering a stand mixer myself and am tempted by a kenwood chef that includes a promotional mincing attachment. I know you can buy a bunch of attachments for the kitchenaid - pasta makers and such like - but I know I'd never use one of those. I'm actually not a huge fan of fresh pasta and I nearly never cook things I don't like to eat myself. (I know it's sacreligious not to like fresh pasta. I don't like steak either. Excommunicate me now.)

What shop includes the promotional mincing attachment? the cheapest I can find in a bricks and mortar shop is powercity, priced at 170€ for the baseline model.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I think you pay a lot for the design, to be honest. Others are doing stuff in more-or-less the same funky colours, and are even getting close to copying the design....but there's just something seriously retro-chic about the KitchenAid.

I bought Mrs. Bonkey one about 18 months ago. ...but to be honest, if I was buying one for just me...I'd quite possibly have gone with the Chef.
    I know you can buy a bunch of attachments for the kitchenaid - pasta makers and such like - but I know I'd never use one of those.

You can get even more attachments for the Kenwood Chef range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Are Kenwood Chefs not as good as they used to be? :eek:

We have an old Kenwood from around 1980 ( the one "that was last seen on Brucie's conveyor belt beside the cuddly toy" :)) and lots of other people do too, and they're still going strong.

I think both Kitchenaid and Kenwood are iconic brands and they each have their own retro charm. BTW, I think Kenwood also have 1950s-looking mixers awsell.

Went to buy a kenwood chef today in powercity, but I couldn't get over it's sheer uglyness for the price. I think it's worth the money to buy one that looks half decent.

The Kitchenaid classic is 239.99£

http://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenAid-K45SS-Classic-Stand-Mixer/dp/B000744SZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1273435489&sr=8-1

around the same price as the Premier Kenwood chef, so am I better just buying that one do you reccon?

cheers,

Kevin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

TK Maxx in Blanchardstown had Kenwood Chefs on Wednesday. I can't remember the exact model, but they were cream in colour and kind of retro looking. Possibly the kMix. In and around the €300 mark if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i bought my kenwood chef for 175 euros and it is just such a great piece of kit. it's also built to last and will most likely outlive me.

The one I have an option on is the Kenwood Kitchen Machine, a 700w stand mixer with various dooberry whatsits attached. (I'm in Australia for anyone hoping for the same deal).

Specs

Brand KENWOOD
    Wattage 700 Watts
    Litres 4.6 Litre Stainless Steel bowl
    Speed Variable speed transmission
    Accessories Three Mixing Tools, K-beater, Whisk And Dough Hook and Bonus A950 Mincer Attachment
    Feature Includes Cookbook
    Feature 4 Power Outlets For Optional Food Preparation Attachments
    Feature A950 mincer attachment

Problem is, it's a bloody ugly piece of kit. I'm normally all about the functionality, but seriously, Kenwood, 1982 called and it wants its stand mixer back. :confused:

mediafile.do?mediaGradeId=376500

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Breville do a very good one for around 100 euro or something ridiculously cheap like that for what it is. Just can't think of it now,I used to sell them in the electrical shop I worked in. Was a grand size,probably a bit smaller than the Chef,not as many accessories but the basic ones plus a few more if I remember correctly,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

T
    Problem is, it's a bloody ugly piece of kit. I'm normally all about the functionality, but seriously, Kenwood, 1982 called and it wants its stand mixer back. :confused:

If you're not into 80s retro, then all I can say is that you'll be fine as long as you don't intend to keep it on the worktop :)

Everyone I know who has one keeps it stored somewhere out of sight...and only takes it out to use.

The KitchenAid, on the other hand....thats just begging to be left out to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Are Kenwood Chefs not as good as they used to be? :eek:

We have an old Kenwood from around 1980 ( the one "that was last seen on Brucie's conveyor belt beside the cuddly toy" :)) and lots of other people do too, and they're still going strong.

I think both Kitchenaid and Kenwood are iconic brands and they each have their own retro charm. BTW, I think Kenwood also have 1950s-looking mixers awsell.

There was a thread on here a while back and a lot were saying how their Kenwoods had let them down. Mines going a treat though.

I do want to see a kitchen aid in action sometime though not going to get one eventually unless they can sing and dance better than a kenwood.
    Not too bothered about attachements.

Hmm I think the Kitchenaid are lower wattage than the kenwood. The kitchenaid I've just checked out is 500 watts.

Advertisement