Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A couple of problems with screen colour and MSN.

• 08-05-2010 8:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭

All,

Please bear with me with this as I'm baffled and difficult to explain.

My brother got a new computer off an uncle recently. It's used for mainly browsing, messaging and the like. While moving around cleaning the room, there's been a number of problems that we've discovered since logging on.

Firstly, MSN just won't work. It says that it can't connect despite the password etc. all being right. It won't allow the user on. I'm asking for this as my brother wants to use MSN.

Secondly, the colour is all out. The screen has a light blue hue on it and the colours are odd: for example the red on bebo comes up almost black. Purple shows too as well as the blue colour. Yellow and green are almost the same too.

Any ideas what it might be? The desktop is runs XP and is several years old. I've a feeling this is why MSN won't work, is it outdated to run?

Any help is hugely appreciated and mods if there's any trouble, feel free to move.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Sounds like the red gun on the CRT is gone, or there's a problem with the cable, or maybe the graphics card.

Can't help you with MSN, I don't use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Try the crt, press menu button on the crt itself,, select, settings, degauss screen,. Then turn on the pc.
    IF that doesnt work , try, settings, colors,you can adjust, r,gb, red, blue, green, eg its too blue reduce blue output levels.
    depends on what grahics card you have, theres programs like rivatuner that allow you to adjust,colors, rgb, settings ,color balance, after loading windows.
    uninstall msn, reboot,and install it again.
    if you have nvidia driver control panel, go to video color settings, adjust from there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

See if he can log into MSN messenger via the hotmail page.
    If he can then the problem is local, i.e. something on the PC or the connection to the router.

Try installing Pidgin instead and connecting to MSN through that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Thanks for your help folks.
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Sounds like the red gun on the CRT is gone, or there's a problem with the cable, or maybe the graphics card.

Can't help you with MSN, I don't use it.

I'll have a look with the cable but I don't think it is it.
    ricman wrote: »
    Try the crt, press menu button on the crt itself,, select, settings, degauss screen,. Then turn on the pc.
    IF that doesnt work , try, settings, colors,you can adjust, r,gb, red, blue, green, eg its too blue reduce blue output levels.
    depends on what grahics card you have, theres programs like rivatuner that allow you to adjust,colors, rgb, settings ,color balance, after loading windows.
    uninstall msn, reboot,and install it again.
    if you have nvidia driver control panel, go to video color settings, adjust from there.

I've had a look at the screen and adjustments made. It has sharpened somewhat and is an improvement. Nvidia has done very little - if nothing at all.
    5uspect wrote: »
    See if he can log into MSN messenger via the hotmail page.
    If he can then the problem is local, i.e. something on the PC or the connection to the router.

Try installing Pidgin instead and connecting to MSN through that.

He can log in on the MSN via the hotmail page but he was looking for the MSN program, why he's being particular is beyond me. He'll have to deal with it. I've used Pidgin but it says it can't connect to 'login.live' and an SSQ fault comes up. It's a mulitiude of problems on the computer though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Download and install the newest version of Live Messenger (it's no longer called MSN) and check that all Windows updates and service packs are installed. (Tho this may also install Microsoft's WGA nagware, uncheck it if you see it)

I would nearly recommend a clean install of XP. It would be a fresh start where you have to reinstall everything. However this is daunting for those who aren't too familiar with PCs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement