Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bones and meat scraps for sale €3.25 at Spar..

Options
  • 08-05-2010 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't believe it when I saw shrunk wrapped ham bones and meat scraps for €3.25 each at a local Spar branch.

Most butchers would be glad to shift this stuff for free.

ParmaHamDogBoneSmallImage.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

:eek::eek:I've seen it all now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most butchers would be glad to shift this stuff for free.

ParmaHamDogBoneSmallImage.jpg
    I expect many butchers sell to pet shops, I have seen them on sale in many. I see where you got your photo from, an online pet shop -this one is selling for €3.99
    http://www.pet-bliss.ie/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.petshop.ie%2f&WD=bone&PN=Natural_Dog_Treats_Postmans_Leg_Dog_Bone.html%23a1_211319#a1_211319

Maybe another one for bargain alerts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

rubadub wrote: »
    I expect many butchers sell to pet shops, I have seen them on sale in many.

Tesco had them as well on a clearance shelf a few weeks back, it looks like they were dumped rather than sold as they all seemed to have dissapeared over night and I haven't seen them replaced yet.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I see where you got your photo from, an online pet shop -this one is selling for €3.99
    I don't exactly want to be seen taking cam shots inside a super market and I am not going to pay €3.25 for a Boards posting. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't exactly want to be seen taking cam shots inside a super market and I am not going to pay €3.25 for a Boards posting. :o
    I wasn't inferring that you should have taken a photo. My point was that you seemed surprised to find the bones on sale, but then you went online and found a picture on a pet site so obviously you do know that they are commonly sold for around that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I could be wrong on this but I think that butchers are no longer allowed to give them for free.

Several meat crisis later the disposal of unwanted animal material is taken pretty seriously so they cant be seen to be disposing of the left overs "improperly" of course.

Having said that if I am right (and that is a big if) they could sell the bones for a few cents each, what the OP saw was a bit of a rip

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sam80

I get a box of them off the butcher every week and i've never been charged. Seems happy to get rid of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I could be wrong on this but I think that butchers are no longer allowed to give them for free.

Several meat crisis later the disposal of unwanted animal material is taken pretty seriously so they cant be seen to be disposing of the left overs "improperly" of course.

Having said that if I am right (and that is a big if) they could sell the bones for a few cents each, what the OP saw was a bit of a rip

That’s only if you didn't know your local butcher, You could be a health inspector for all they know. I would have no probs getting any amount of them from the one down the road.

The EU has brought in some laws for butchers over the years including the banning of sawdust, the use of wooden chopping boards etc, some are understandable others are ridiculous and counter productive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭murraymarmalade

i cant belive what ive just seen and read!:eek:
    cant belive it ffs...

i have a staffy and all the butchers in ennis give me and everyone else in town big and small bones FREE.. the butcher only told me 2 weeks ago that it means less weight for him when the boys come to take away the carcasses.

unreal lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

my local butcher gives me bones for free ( we do have a few dogs)

but y pay that for 1?

for 1 euro u can get your dog a nice lamb neck or shank
    and there pretty tasty also

• Advertisement
Advertisement