Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Developer Buys Land at Fraction of 2006 Cost

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Bards wrote: »
    mmm

Don't agree with this one bit. I bought my house put down a deposit on my house 15 years ago at the age of 23 (mid 90's - bought off the plans) and moved in two years later. I got a 25 Year mortgage at approx 6.5% (Interest rates were higher back then)

All my work collegues thought I was stone mad. insisted I should rent to "Have" the freedom to move around and I was too young to be sadled with a mortgage.

10 Years later (just before the property bubble collapsed) I had cleared the mortgage (Thanks in part to the SSIA) and the house was mine (other collegues now thought I was mad clearing the mortgage and not investing the money in Bank Shares!!!

I live rent free now and I'm not even 40.

All my collegues now have huge mortgages with Kids to support and have lost a lot of money in shares.

Moral of the story - be your own person. do what you think is right and don't listen to others around you. The World is full of Lobsters;)

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for buying a house when the time is right. Obviously you got your timing spot on. Judging from your post it looks like you got on the property ladder right at the start of the Celtic Tiger which obviously helped.

Things might have turned out differently had the dates been different. But by all means people should be their own person.

My saying there should be a law to prevent very young people from buying a house is probably too strong. Instead there should be guidelines and advice to prevent people from making overtly risky investments.

Anyway I've gone way off-topic so I'll end it now.

Advertisement