Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting newly plastered walls

• 08-05-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

I'm looking for advice on what to put on walls as a base coat before I paint them.
    They were plastered last week.
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

you dont need a base coat just your standard paint will do.just make sure the walls are totally dry before you start.add 25% water to the first coat of paint.base coats are only an old wives tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Michael999999 is right you don't need any special base coat,just emulsion paint in matt,silk,mid sheen or soft sheen (not much dif between those last two).I would give the walls another week to dry out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

when you do the first coat of 25% watered down emulsion it is then easier to see any defects in the plaster work and fill or sand them away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

I call it a mist coat, like other said once this mist coat drys you can see any little repairs needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

tippspur wrote: »
    .I would give the walls another week to dry out though.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

I have used polybond as a base coat and it works a treat. 1 part p/b and 4 parts water. Many people are against this technique but i swear buy it. it take no time compared to a base coat and the result is smoother finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

why does one water down the first coat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Watering down the first coat helps the paint travel a bit better over the newly plastered walls, some can be a bit tough to paint straight out being a bit chalky, but im all for a coat of polybond first before any paint is applied.

Advertisement