Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre Recommendation

• 08-05-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi there,

I'm new to boards but I've been cycling for a while. I don't race but rather I use my road bike as a form of transport and for going on long cycles (40 miles). I'm currently using Michelin Orium on Compag Khamsin wheels. The time has come to replace them so I though that I'd seek some suggestions here.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭cosman9373

Michelin have some bomb proof tyres that will last forever, used to use lithions for training until I found gator skins, now seemingly the've been improved and I'll be getting a set of these for my winter trainer.

Not sure if this is along the lines of what you're looking for, great tyres though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

I run schwalbe marathons on my city bike, something like 700c x 25? (not sure, bike is downstairs, too lazy to look) - but they're great, 100PSI and really low rolling resistance, kevlar all the way around so you can ride through broken glass laughing like a maniac - love it. Great grip even in the wet. 5 stars from me :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

+1 for Schwalbe Marathons

• Registered Users Posts: 38 2wheelsbetter

Thanks guys. I'll look into them. I had been thinking of getting Continental Grand Prix 4000 with Continental or Schwalbe tubes. Anyone had any experience with these? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

Thanks guys. I'll look into them. I had been thinking of getting Continental Grand Prix 4000 with Continental or Schwalbe tubes. Anyone had any experience with these? What are the pros/cons?

Thanks.

I had a bad experiance with the Conti GP 4000 black chili compound, after about 200kms, and a spate of punctures. I replaced it with a Gatorskin on the rear. No more punctures so far.
    I continue to use a Front GP 4000 , with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Happy Cycling:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 halfwheeler

hey... i its no punctures and a decent looking tire you are after try the Specialized Armidillo. Cant go wrong there.
    Or instead of spending crazy money. If you are just out to enjoy yourself and nothing serious. Id really recommend getting thicker tires.. for eg; 700 x 28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The tyres mentioned on this thread are really complete opposite ends of the spectrum. The likes of the GP4000 are a good race tyre and deliver good grip, low rolling resistance, etc. Other tyres I like in this category would be the Schwalbe Ultremo.

Good race tyres don't puncture that much if you keep them inflated to correct pressure and are not crazy heavy or carrying loads on the bike.

An Armadillo, Marathon or Gatorskin offers better puncture resistance but at a cost of ride quality. I prefer to have to fix the occasional puncture than suffer this- although I do use both Marathon Racers and Gatorskins, just not on my road bikes. Previously used Armadillos but they were slippy in the wet and the ride quality was just too dead. Never got a puncture though; good option for a commuter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭cosman9373

I had a bad experiance with the Conti GP 4000 black chili compound, after about 200kms, and a spate of punctures. I replaced it with a Gatorskin on the rear. No more punctures so far.
    I continue to use a Front GP 4000 , with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Happy Cycling:)

I had a spate of punctures on the gp4000s a couple of times before and both times I found the smallest shard of glass actually in the tyre that wasn't protruding through the inside but seemed to puncture the tube from the pressure after a while. I think it's the chili compound, the glass sticks to it.

Great racing tyre though, increadibly low rolling resistance.

Advertisement