Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bee Keeping in Cork

• 08-05-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭

Im thinking about keeping a Bee Hive but dont want to start a swarm and annoy the neighbours, so the question i have is does anyone know of a beekeeping course close to cork city/ballincollig area, there is one down in baltimore but would not mind finding one closer or even better someone who has the time to show me what to do, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Here's a link, there seems to be a few in Kerry, if you can't get one in Cork there's summer lectures and workshops http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/gormanston/gormprog2010.html

http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/federation/affassoctxt.html#munster

Also try your local farmers market they might be able to put you in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Im starting to think ive missed the boat on the courses, they all seem to be over winter as the beekeeping season is well under way so i might have find someone with a few hives to show me the ropes, i would like to be shown what to do first instead of rushing out a get a hive, so i dont kill a hive through negligence, how disheartening would that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SC Kevin

The Aussie wrote: »
    Im starting to think ive missed the boat on the courses, they all seem to be over winter as the beekeeping season is well under way so i might have find someone with a few hives to show me the ropes, i would like to be shown what to do first instead of rushing out a get a hive, so i dont kill a hive through negligence, how disheartening would that be.

hey ya, like you i to am thinking of starting my own hive, but your right, there is only about a month left in the season so no courses as far as i know. however, there are usually some starting in january if your still interested. i live in youghal and luckly for me, i was out on a apiary of a local beekeeping today, was very interesting so im looking forward to the course now!

hey aussie, i came accross this and thought you might be interested...

http://www.cocorkbka.org/cork_beginners.html

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

I'm on the beekeeping course in Cork at the moment. It's good. Are you on it too? I'm planning bees for the coming year

• Advertisement

ya, im doing that course at the moment aswell! :) tis very interesting alrite. hopfully ill get a nuc early next year, poss of bob or noel. im looking to get into queen rearing myself, mainly cause it'll save me 100 + euro if i ever wanted to start a new hive, just pop in one of my own but also cause id find in facinating! :) anyway, i had better get ready for tonight, who knows, i might see you there tonight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

yeah, great course, even the repetitions are interesting! Maybe identify you next week?

era im not hard to identify...lol i think i know who you are....ok, i know how that sounds, mmm i feel like a stalker now! LMAO! :)

Advertisement