Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CDMA + GSM phone

Options
  • 08-05-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭

a friend of mine is moving to south korea after the summer and is looking for a dual sim phone that will support one cdma sim and another gsm sim,

does anyone have any advice on phones like these ?
    the knock-off phones seem to offer this, but wouldn't trust them,

I know there's a samsung dual sim but that is quite old,
    an up to date phone would be ideal,

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

CDMA phones don't use SIM cards so I don't think a dual SIM phone will work. The only phones I've heard of that supported both CDMA and GSM were some models of Blackberry sold by Verizon in the US. They called them World Phones or something like that. Primarily CDMA but they also had a SIM card for travelling abroad. I don't know if you'd be able to get one or whether the Korean carrier would let you register it on their network though (CDMA phones have to be programmed by the carrier you want to connect to). It might be easier to just buy a phone in Korea and then get a cheap unlocked GSM phone for when he's elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

mobius42 wrote: »
    CDMA phones don't use SIM cards so I don't think a dual SIM phone will work. The only phones I've heard of that supported both CDMA and GSM were some models of Blackberry sold by Verizon in the US. They called them World Phones or something like that. Primarily CDMA but they also had a SIM card for travelling abroad. I don't know if you'd be able to get one or whether the Korean carrier would let you register it on their network though (CDMA phones have to be programmed by the carrier you want to connect to). It might be easier to just buy a phone in Korea and then get a cheap unlocked GSM phone for when he's elsewhere.

CDMA sim cards are found in Asia, just not the US.

Advertisement