Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to The Naul

Options
  • 08-05-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thinking about moving to the Naul, just wondering if annyone has lived there and whether they would recommend it?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Have'nt lived there but know the area well.

If I were to move from where I am in North Dublin it would be my first choice its a beautiful area and the people are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Maybe you could tell us a bit more. Are you moving with family? Need to know what the schools nearby are like? Just interested in pubs and nightlife? Are you used to village life or living in a city?

There are lots of things that we could say about where we live, but not all may be relevant to why you want to move there. Give us a clue and we may be able to advise you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

cheers guys, the plan is to move from glasnevin and rent there for a year to 18 months while we save money to buy a place out there or buy a site and build out there. We want to rent there first to see if we like that area. I have been there a few times and it seems like a really nice place. I have tried the commute to work and it seems to be ok, i work in the city centre near the ifsc but i dont start til 9:30 so i reckon it wont be too bad. trying to figure out about broadband, tthink the only options are digiweb and ice. not too interested in scools just yet as it is just the 2 of us but it will definately something that we will have to find out more about

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

If you thinking of building then get onto Fingal Coco Planning and find out about restrictions , e.g. you may have to be living in the area for a certain amount of time or be engaged in agriculture as a profession before you will be granted permission to build. Regarding the commuting, another option is to hop over to Rush and Lusk station ( plenty of parking) and get the train to Connolly. We use Ice Broadband , works fine (though they are in Receivership). Beautiful part of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

You'll find it very hard to buy a site and build out there if you're not from the area - I'm from lusk originally, and it's well known out there that's how it goes.Planning permission will be next to impossible to obtain.
    On the other hand there are some amazing houses for sale out there, you could get a really nice one as an alternative

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

dan_d wrote: »
    You'll find it very hard to buy a site and build out there if you're not from the area - I'm from lusk originally, and it's well known out there that's how it goes.Planning permission will be next to impossible to obtain.
    On the other hand there are some amazing houses for sale out there, you could get a really nice one as an alternative

v well put by dan.
    I would go a step further and say that even for locals/people whose families have been in the area for generations find it very,very,very difficult. You will buy a site no prob but wont be able to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Fully agree on what is posted above, living locally near the Naul, I know the area and the habits very well. Firstly, good luck finding somewhere to rent, we've been looking for a place there for a while and they only seldom come up as it is a very tight and settled community.

As for buying a site, local needs always come first, you need to prove you are active in the community and preferably have family connections. Also, prices for the Naul are extremely high. A 1 acre site could easily go for 400.00 euro or over and there really aren't that many sites left that would be considered for p.p. as most sites are still farming sites.

That said, the Naul is lovely allthough I find it is a difficult community to 'integrate' in at first - from my own experience - as the people are all very local and everyone knows everyone and what you do. A proper country town really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

All the other posters are right on the money with what they say. Rentals are few and far between. The local pub is just that - for locals. It is a closely knit community but there are few places with views as beautiful as the south side of the Nags head where you can see as far as the Wicklow mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fingalian wrote: »
    Regarding the commuting, another option is to hop over to Rush and Lusk station
    Balbriggan would be a lot closer and a more direct route (but I'm not sure what the parking situation is at the station there).

Advertisement