Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork vs. Tipperary Senior Munster Hurling Championship Quarter-Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If the match ends in a draw - Extra time will be played

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I could have sworn Aisake won the first 6 balls against Tipp the last day! Had he off loaded better we would definately have scored another few goals. I think he has the capability of winning good ball against any full back, but his distribution has been poor.
    His ball winning of course depends on the type of ball being put into him, which has been sporadically fair - at best! He does not have the overall hurling skill that a full forward needs, but given the right kind of ball, he will beat his man to it, something we are sorely lacking.

But was that the tactic?? I think it was - leave him get it and we'll crowd him out and force him to turn it over. His distribution was forced to be poor. Cussen is a much better hurler than him, Aisake out in the half forward line is good when he has space, because he has this huge swing, whereas Cussen is a much tidier swing, less likely to get hooked or blocked.

Couple of tactical things that spring to mind with the selection of the forward line, but I'm not gonna say anything :D Just wondering how match fit Cadogen is, I've no doubt about physical fitness just his match fitness. I think Paudie O Sullivan can come on and make an impact if things are not going badly, lovely wristy hurler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

Should be an interesting match. Plenty of questions to be answered.

How far off the pace are Cork from real AI contenders?

Can Tipp put together 70 minutes without lapsing like they do all too often?

Is Sean Og finished? Is Aisake even started?:D

Is Cadogan match fit?

Can Tipps half forwards catch some ball in the air?

Are Corks half back line back on form?

Can Niall McCarthy regain his form?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

But was that the tactic?? I think it was - leave him get it and we'll crowd him out and force him to turn it over. His distribution was forced to be poor. Cussen is a much better hurler than him, Aisake out in the half forward line is good when he has space, because he has this huge swing, whereas Cussen is a much tidier swing, less likely to get hooked or blocked.

Couple of tactical things that spring to mind with the selection of the forward line, but I'm not gonna say anything :D Just wondering how match fit Cadogen is, I've no doubt about physical fitness just his match fitness. I think Paudie O Sullivan can come on and make an impact if things are not going badly, lovely wristy hurler.

Unless Liam Sheedy is the most tactically inept manager ever, that was not the 'tactic'. A full back would not willingly let his man get the ball again and again 20 yards from the goals. Aisake casued havoc and we should have had at least a goal out of it, if not more.

Supposedly the Cork Intermediate team for Sunday:

McCarthy (Ballymartle)

O'Callaghan (Iniscarra)
    Lane (???)
    Coleman (Ballinhassig)

White (Ballygarvan)
    Healy (???)
    Ellis (Newmarket?)

Hartnett (Russell Rovers)
    Fitzgerald (Douglas)

Lawton (Castlemartyr)
    Corry (Ballymartle)
    Conway (Fr. O'Neills)

Danny O'Callaghan (???)
    Harrington (Douglas)
    Halbert (Watergrasshill)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Thinking of going down to Cork for this one. Whats parking like, and what terrace would I go to? Tipp section? Oh and how much are the tickets?

Gonna be a tough game I'd imagine, although I'd reckon Tipp will shade it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Park in town and walk down/ get the bus would be my advice. The Tip terrace will probably be the city end, not sure on prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

not sure on prices.

€20 for adult terrace tickets...€15 for student and yes we're in the City End!

Anyone else think it's going to be close to a full house? Remember 2 years ago when we had people sitting behind the goal at the blackrock end? :cool:

JamieK wrote: »
    €20 for adult terrace tickets...€15 for student and yes we're in the City End!
    Park in town and walk down/ get the bus would be my advice. The Tip terrace will probably be the city end, not sure on prices.

Cheers lads.

Tipp Team

B. Cummins
    P. Stapleton
    P. Maher
    P. Curran
    D. Fanning
    C. O'Mahony
    M. Cahill
    S. McGrath
    B. Maher
    N. NcGrath
    S. Callinan
    J. O'Brien
    E. Kelly
    B. O'Meara
    L. Corbett

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

..... Beatable :D

Orizio wrote: »
    Tipp Team

B. Cummins
    P. Stapleton
    P. Maher
    P. Curran
    D. Fanning
    C. O'Mahony
    M. Cahill
    S. McGrath
    B. Maher
    N. NcGrath
    S. Callinan
    J. O'Brien
    E. Kelly
    B. O'Meara
    L. Corbett

Daysha, do the business if you please.

Tipp Team

B. Cummins
    P. Stapleton
    P. Maher
    P. Curran
    D. Fanning
    C. O'Mahony
    M. Cahill
    S. McGrath
    B. Maher
    N. NcGrath
    S. Callinan
    J. O'Brien
    E. Kelly
    B. O'Meara
    L. Corbett

No real surprises there...although I expect Corbett and Noel to swap places and possibly Cahill to go corner back leaving Curran go full back to handle that aussie rules player freeing Maher out to wing back! :)

Can't wait for this one now hopefully Buggy O Meara won't stand for the same type of "marking" that Webster did last year from Cadogan! ;)

No real surprises there...although I expect Corbett and Noel to swap places and possibly Cahill to go corner back leaving Curran go full back to handle that aussie rules player freeing Maher out to wing back! :)

Can't wait for this one now hopefully Buggy O Meara won't stand for the same type of "marking" that Webster did last year from Cadogan! ;)

...... it's hotting up .... think I'll keep my powder dry...;)

Buggy O'Meara will do what Eoin allows him to do and nothing more. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Cant wait to see how Buggy plays, be great if he had a good game now and got off on the right foot. It's on now lads, roll on Sunday. Up the premier!

Thinking about it I'd nearly prefer to have seen Corbett on Cadogan and bring him for a trot around...I'd imagine there would be a nosebleed should he reach the 40! :p

Anyways on a slightly more serious note...what do ye Cork lads think of Aisake and Cadogan? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Daysha, do the business if you please.

Edited.

I'm sure Daysha wont mind:)

Thinking about it I'd nearly prefer to have seen Corbett on Cadogan and bring him for a trot around...I'd imagine there would be a nosebleed should he reach the 40! :p

Anyways on a slightly more serious note...what do ye Cork lads think of Aisake and Cadogan? :D

What the **** are you on about? Eoin Cadogan has played almost all his hurling in the center back line - he only started playing full-back last year. :confused:

I was only aware of his senior inter-county career...apologies...are you referring to his underage or club career? No need for the almost attack on a light hearted remark?! :o

• Advertisement

I was only aware of his senior inter-county career...apologies...are you referring to his underage or club career?

The only time he has played full-back is for the Cork Senior Hurlers.
    No need for the almost attack on a light hearted remark?! :o

:confused:

The only time he has played full-back is for the Cork Senior Hurlers.

Apologies I have only seen him play there!

I just thought the "what the **** are you on about" could have been worded a bit better :p

Anyways to my earlier question...what's your opinion on Aisake and Cadogan? As personally I feel these are 2 of your weaker spots...but then again a championship debutaunt may not be the best way to exploit that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭GymJim

Apologies I have only seen him play there!

I just thought the "what the **** are you on about" could have been worded a bit better :p

Anyways to my earlier question...what's your opinion on Aisake and Cadogan? As personally I feel these are 2 of your weaker spots...but then again a championship debutaunt may not be the best way to exploit that :p

Cadogan's fine. Not a natural FB but a good enough hurler to get away with it. We actually have a very good FB line.

Aisake is a waste of time at this level. He can win the ball but is unable to do anything with it. Not a natural hurler really tbh.

Our problem is our half-forward line. Can't win ball and can't score (besides Ben obviously). We've tried all kinds of combinations there and the fact that we're back to Niall Mac and an ailing Jerry there says it all really.

Yea I can't understand why Denis Walsh persists with playing him...fair enough the first 15 minutes or so he caught a good bit of ball on Maher but as usual there was no end product! :o

I just dislike Cadogan's style of marking ever since the grappling matches that went on between himself and Webster last year :p Webster wasn't innocent all the time either though! Can't wait for this game now...really wish I could go to it! :o

GymJim wrote: »
    Our problem is our half-forward line. Can't win ball and can't score (besides Ben obviously). We've tried all kinds of combinations there and the fact that we're back to Niall Mac and an ailing Jerry there says it all really.

Have to say, Niall Mac was awful the last few times I saw him play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sonic boom

happy enough with the tipp team selected, would have preferred kerwick instead of john obrien but hes injured so what can ya do. good team on paper but im dreadin our half forward line getin eatin alive from our own puck out :(

sonic boom wrote: »
    happy enough with the tipp team selected, would have preferred kerwick instead of john obrien but hes injured so what can ya do. good team on paper but im dreadin our half forward line getin eatin alive from our own puck out :(

Same comment for the cork team;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I have a sneaky feeling that Cork will take this one. They were written off after the league final and players such as Sean Og who were critcized by pundits and sports journalists will want to put things right again. Sean Og even said it in the paper during the week that he is going to proove the critics wrong so Im expecting a big game from him. I just think Tipp might be a bit overrated for this one. It will be very hard for them to produce a good performance in Cork and its rare that they win there. So I fancy the rebels for this one. The rebels to win by 2-3 points.

This will be a cracker. i don't want to hear anyone say "Tipp thought they only had to turn up" after this. That is absolute bulls*it.
    Tipp are under no illusions believe you me and i suppose Cork are where we were in 2007, under the cosh with a gorilla to get of the back.
    I remember well the pitch invasion that night and hopefully we don't see a red coloured one on Sunday. i have nothing against cork i enjoy the banter very much but i want our side to play limerick in the Munster semi final. A point will do nicely if were lucky enough.

• Advertisement

sonic boom wrote: »

You spot on there. Brendan Cummins biggest weakness is probably his insistence on aiming the ball down the throats of our half fwds. i think maybe if he played lower trajectory and vary it more as he did in AI final it might suit them better. Cork have monsters at half back that will clean up high ball.

Advertisement