Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork vs. Tipperary Senior Munster Hurling Championship Quarter-Final

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

trebor28 wrote: »
    any of the cork crowd disappointed with corks use of ulster puke football tactics?

think its a sad day when hurling takes some of the tactics from football.

Any day when we can give Tipp a hiding on Leeside is a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

any of the cork crowd disappointed with corks use of ulster puke football tactics?

:rolleyes: Do you happen to post on premierview? At the very least you could put some examples down - did Cork handpass all the way up to midfield and put every man into their own half when they lost possession?

I found the lads in the City End's shouting during their own legend's minute silence disgusting though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Immensely stupid post to be honest.

What Ulster team ever varied short passing and long range passing into the full forward line to the devestating effect that Cork did today?

Its a sad day when anyone can't simply admire a wonderful display of hurling from a amazing bunch of players who had been written off by most without resorting to senseless analogies with no basis in fact.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Glad someone said this, couldn't watch the match properly because I was working so only catchin 10 mins here and there. Thought Tipp were shocking today and not entirely because Cork were amazing. Not taking from Cork at all but a good Cork performance combined with a very poor Tipp performance meant the scoreline was what it was.

It was a good-ish Cork performance - KK and Galway wouldn't let us have any of the room Tipp gave us today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,023 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Seriously happy with that performance. I felt we would beat Tip - but ten points!
    Great to see Aisake do what he did today. The sense of expectation every time the ball came to him ( in the air) was palpable. Not sure why they fed him ball in the corners though -don't think he won one cleany and ended up losing most of them! Still alot of improvements for Cork though, but, that's for another day.
    A ten point victory over Tipp down the Park... the only thing missing was the sun! Shamo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

well i would have thought that the immensely intelligent posters here would have understood what i meant without having to say what i meant each and every minute detail.

the fact that cork brought their half forward line and midfield back into their half of the field when tipp had the ball is what a lot of the ulster football teams do which led to the coined term of puke football. the fact that almost no one can kick a ball from their own half back line to the edge of the square would rule out the alternation from short passing to long passing in football.

listen i never said anything about cork winning they won fair and square the best team on the day etc.
    i am just disappointed with their tactics of the blanket defence. it was a low scoring match today if you consider what points were scored. it didnt make for very good viewing as a spectator.

who here likes watching the ulster football matches where one team brigs about 12 players back into their own half?? i for one dont and apart from the supporters involved i doubt much else do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Just watching the Sunday Game now and I'm wondering what the hell was Michael Cahill doing for Corks 3rd goal? Really showed his inexperience with the ballwatching there.

well i would have thought that the immensely intelligent posters here would have understood what i meant without having to say what i meant each and every minute detail.

the fact that cork brought their half forward line and midfield back into their half of the field when tipp had the ball is what a lot of the ulster football teams do which led to the coined term of puke football. the fact that almost no one can kick a ball from their own half back line to the edge of the square would rule out the alternation from short passing to long passing in football.

listen i never said anything about cork winning they won fair and square the best team on the day etc.
    i am just disappointed with their tactics of the blanket defence. it was a low scoring match today if you consider what points were scored. it didnt make for very good viewing as a spectator.

who here likes watching the ulster football matches where one team brigs about 12 players back into their own half?? i for one dont and apart from the supporters involved i doubt much else do.

I'm not from Cork and I thought the performance today was exhilarating to watch tbh

Apart from the fact that Cork withdrew their half forward line (which had more to do with them wanting to isolate O hAilpin against the FB - which worked stunningly well - rather than any desire to engage in "blanket defence") I saw little or no resemblence between what Cork do and the cliche about Ulster football that you're hiding behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Marthaa

Aisake O'hAilpin. He actually cannot stand on his feet. Fair enough he had a few good moments but he has to be the most unstable human I have ever seen.

the fact that cork brought their half forward line and midfield back into their half of the field when tipp had the ball is what a lot of the ulster football teams do which led to the coined term of puke football.

Except this didn't actually happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Marthaa wrote: »
    Aisake O'hAilpin. He actually cannot stand on his feet. Fair enough he had a few good moments but he has to be the most unstable human I have ever seen.

very true, however I was surprised to see how effective he was today and that is down to Tipp's failure in reading the game.
    Take his goal for example, when he caught the ball why couldn't he just turn and let fly first time, why did he have to start galloping into a tangle with the keeper? Is this his tactic knowing that he could manufacture a free/penalty if he fails to score?
    I dunno, but listen, at least it's good to see Championship hurling again, it was a long winter:)

flahavaj wrote: »
    I saw little or no resemblence between what Cork do and the cliche about Ulster football that you're hiding behind.

hiding behind?
    why or how am i hiding?

they left aisake inside on his own which would mean they brought out the two corners also.

orizio what exactly did cork do then?

hiding behind?
    why or how am i hiding?

they left aisake inside on his own which would mean they brought out the two corners also.

Isolating a tall full forward is standard enough tactics but comparing that to Ulster football is ridiculous.

You're talking boll*x tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,023 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Silly question..... They beat Tipp by 10 points..... really!;)

:confused: They played a game of hurling didn't they?

Cork didn't play 15 men behind the ball, and they didn't handpass the ball from the full-back line up - i.e. puke tactics. They won because they worked harder then the Tipp lads in the middle third and because Aisake destroyed Curran and young Maher. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I think most people can agree they certainly played a more direct style of hurling than they are used to, but comparisons with puke Ulster football are pretty laughable tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I got this one right for once. I said here during the week that Cork would beat Tipperary but I thought there would be a puck of a ball between them. I have not seen Tipperary playing that bad in a very long time in the championship. History is a very hard thing to change. Tippeary have rarely beaten Cork at Pairc Ui Chaoimh, I knew that Cork would put up a good performance today but 10 POINTS, is a beautiful victory. No harm for Babs Keating to see this also. He has being critizing this Cork team for a very long time now and its about time he stopped. The hailpins certainly silenced the critics after todays performances too and I am delighted that they played very well. Aisake should have got 2-3 more goals.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Isolating a tall full forward is standard enough tactics but comparing that to Ulster football is ridiculous.

You're talking boll*x tbh.

so bringing back half your forwards to stifle the other teams forwards and chances of scoring and creating a nice free flowing game is nothing like ulster football?
    i never used any language of that nature in my posts, why would you lower the tone when we were only stating our opinions and debating our thoughts on a match?

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Cork didn't play 15 men behind the ball, and they didn't handpass the ball from the full-back line up - i.e. puke tactics. They won because they worked harder then the Tipp lads in the middle third and because Aisake destroyed Curran and young Maher. Simple as.

Also the quality of the ball played into Aisake was perfect. A big full fprward is f*ck all use if you don't give him good ball. The half backs, especially Gardiner gave him some seriously quality ball today.

so bringing back half your forwards to stifle the other teams forwards and chances of scoring and creating a nice free flowing game is nothing like ulster football?
    i never used any language of that nature in my posts, why would you lower the tone when we were only stating our opinions and debating our thoughts on a match?

Cork didn't bring their half forwards back to stifle Tipp's forwards. They didn't need to, Cork's back 6 murdered the Tipp forwards. What game were you watching?

I'm sorry if my mildly bad language offended you. I usually only swear when I'm subjected to drivel that drives me to it tbh.;)

i never used any language of that nature in my posts, why would you lower the tone when we were only stating our opinions and debating our thoughts on a match?[/QUOTE]

possibly because you are talking bollíx.... just a guess;)

Which forwards did we bring back where? If you are saying its puke hurling because Pa Horgan and Fraggie played a little deeper then typical corner forwards then really, you are simply being over-the-top.

Daysha wrote: »
    I think most people can agree they certainly played a more direct style of hurling than they are used to, but comparisons with puke Ulster football are pretty laughable tbh.

I'm struggling to see how the first part of this sentence corresponds with the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Just cause people disagree with others does not mean you can say they are talking nonsense, or in this case using stronger language. Tone down the language please:)

Congrats to Cork who got the monkey off their back today similar to what we did in 2007. they were the hungrier team today and will be a stern test for any team in the championship. I wish them the best of luck in their campaign.
    Tipp had too many that didn't perform today and when things go tits up we haven't a bench to call on. Still im not losing face just yet. Lot of hurling to be done. hopefully Paul Kelly, Benny and Festy will come back in to the fold. All would have made huge difference.

teednab-el wrote: »
    . No harm for Babs Keating to see this also. He has being critizing this Cork team for a very long time now and its about time he stopped.

I wouldn't take that too seriously he criticises his own county as much as anyone else's. An old fuddy duddy who is out of touch with the modern game. Dont get me wrong i respect what he has done in the game as a player and manager but he is now a parody of himself

Orizio wrote: »

I found the lads in the City End's shouting during their own legend's minute silence disgusting though.

i found that embarrassing and disgusting too but they are a small minority who are not worth the effort posting about. Its irrelevant where they are from be it Cork, Tipp or Kathmandu as they are morons.

• Advertisement

..and quoting from cusacks book,they dont really rate us at all....

Maybe Cusack meant that they dont rate us in a sexual way? :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement