Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disablity Allowance question

Options
  • 08-05-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey
    I've been on cruches for almost 3 months now. I have cronic back pain and no feeling in my right leg due to nerve damage. I'm on a waiting list in Tallaght Hospital just to see a consultant.
    I was out of work last year for 7 months and had to go back as i needed the money. I rang disablily sectionn and i was told i was not entitled to any help of social welfare. As i was working 5 morings and would only get help if i was to go on jobless benfit and work 3 full days but i'm not able.

However my question is am is dose anyone think i can get disability allowance? I have applied for it but its been weeks and i havent heard anything.

Also does anyone think i would be able to get a disablity pass for the car to park in disable spots. (its a pain when i have to walk far on cruches)

Thank s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭babs.jones

any body ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

Hey babs I know of people who have depression who are on disability allowance... i dont see any reason why you should nt be entitled to it...

And the parking card you should ring Irish Wheelchair association and ask them to send you a form and bring it to your doctor to fill in for you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I wrote them (in Longford) in early May and heard back this week. Maybe give them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Quote:
    "Also does anyone think i would be able to get a disablity pass for the car to park in disable spots. (its a pain when i have to walk far on cruches)"

I think you should have no problem getting one going by that. Write a short note explaining your disability to:

The Disabled Drivers Association of Ireland
    Ballindine
    Claremorris
    Co. Mayo

They will send you back an application form and what you need to send back to them to apply for the card. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

I definitely think that your entitled to the allowance. Speaking from personal experience and given the state of our Government, apply now because anything to do with allowances and the like will take a good while to go through the system... nothing new about that!

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭PrimalTherapy

babs.jones wrote: »
    Hey
    I've been on cruches for almost 3 months now. I have cronic back pain and no feeling in my right leg due to nerve damage. I'm on a waiting list in Tallaght Hospital just to see a consultant.
    I was out of work last year for 7 months and had to go back as i needed the money. I rang disablily sectionn and i was told i was not entitled to any help of social welfare. As i was working 5 morings and would only get help if i was to go on jobless benfit and work 3 full days but i'm not able.

However my question is am is dose anyone think i can get disability allowance? I have applied for it but its been weeks and i havent heard anything.

Also does anyone think i would be able to get a disablity pass for the car to park in disable spots. (its a pain when i have to walk far on cruches)

Thank s
    If you have applied for Disability Allowance you are entitled to know the outcome. Call them. But would not hold my breath over the parking badge. Highly unlikely you meet the criterion for that from above info. Sorry to have to say.

Thanks for all ur help. I've applied a month ago and was told there's a 16-20 week waitinglist. ;( wouldn't want bd be relying on it alone.
    As for the parking disc thing applied for that and waiting on am answer thanks for all ur help again xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pookie9

Just to let you know I was told the same as you ie 16-20 weeks waiting list...which is horse****, pardon my French! Anyway after waiting around 18 weeks to see what was happening I was told it would be another 4 months of a wait as they are currently dealing with january claims! I feel even sicker now and very angry :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

If you have applied for Disability Allowance you are entitled to know the outcome. Call them. But would not hold my breath over the parking badge. Highly unlikely you meet the criterion for that from above info. Sorry to have to say.
    Especially with the new rules.
    If one looks at the IWA website at their submission on parking badges, they wanted to make it harder to get them*. And they seem to have got their wish. For example, a doctor has to write that a mobility impairment is permanent before people can qualify. I don't think this is the system in other countries from what I recall.

* for people without a primary care cert. People with a primary care cert were seen as fine incl. people with visual impairments (who presumably wouldn't be driving and so were accompanied). I'm not saying that they shouldn't deserve one but other people could make equally as good if not better cases.

Hey thanks again for all ur answers.
    Re the parking permit I got one, I'm in a wheelchair almost constant now.
    The disability I've given up it would be a help but is it really going to be worth the hassell I've been onto them again and they are only processing jans applications now. ;( aggg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Why are you so dead bent on getting D.A.,if you dont mind me asking? I would have thought that you would be entitled to Illness Benefit( formerly Disability benefit) as you had paid PRSI. If so, and your illness has deteriorated, then you should be now looking for Invalidity Pension. Disability All is means tested. The Benefit and Pension schemes are entitlements , which you would have contributed PRSI for when you worked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

There should be a major clamp down on people getting or looking for D.A. I am sure it would help the countries coffers if there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Deise Tom wrote: »
    There should be a major clamp down on people getting or looking for D.A. I am sure it would help the countries coffers if there was.

WOuld you care to expand on this Tom? What problems are you aware of?

WOuld you care to expand on this Tom? What problems are you aware of?

There is people right left and centre around the country trying to get on and in s lot of cases succeeding in getting on D.A. because they are too lazy to get off their arses to work. The bad back, hip or knee are the classic excuse. In doing this they are cutting the pool of money for those that are genuinly unable to work. I know for one i would love to be able to go out and work, I would try my hand at anything, but as soon as people see disabled on a CV or see me in the flesh they dont want to know.

There is people right left and centre around the country trying to get on and in s lot of cases succeeding in getting on D.A. because they are too lazy to get off their arses to work. The bad back, hip or knee are the classic excuse.
    So the docs at the Dept of Social & Family Protection who deal with these cases every day of the week are falling for lazy excuses on a regular basis?

So the docs at the Dept of Social & Family Protection who deal with these cases every day of the week are falling for lazy excuses on a regular basis?

In some cases, i would say yes. Its amazing what a bit a cash would do at times.

Its amazing what a bit a cash would do at times.

These docs generally aren't short of a few bob. This is a very, very serious allegation. If you have information that this is happening, you should be reporting it so the offenders can be caught and stopped.

These docs generally aren't short of a few bob. This is a very, very serious allegation. If you have information that this is happening, you should be reporting it so the offenders can be caught and stopped.

Leave those that are supposed to be looking into these things do so instead of spending over half their day sitting on their asses drinking tea or coffee.

Leave those that are supposed to be looking into these things do so instead of spending over half their day sitting on their asses drinking tea or coffee.

I have absolutely no idea what this means in this context. If you'd like to have a serious discussion, please do feel free to explain. If you want to cast slurs that have no basis in fact, then I'll leave you to it.

Hey
    Finally after 5 months they finally took the finger out and are looking into my claim.
    I have a guy calling into me in the morning to assess me. Does anyone know what this visit will entail.

• Advertisement

Hey
    Finally after 5 months they finally took the finger out and are looking into my claim.
    I have a guy calling into me in the morning to assess me. Does anyone know what this visit will entail.

Proving that you have the disability you are claiming for i would guess and trying to find out how long you will have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

Hey
    It could be to do with checking your financial situation. Disability Allowance is a means-tested payment. So they may ask you about savings, sources of income (if any), etc.

Advertisement