Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feral Pregnant Cat

Options
  • 08-05-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

Basically, we have been feeding 3 feral cats left on our doorstep for the past 8 months. We have already got 2 of them neutered but before we could get to the third she became pregnant! We cannot possibly feed anymore cats.
    Just wondered does anyone know how far along the pregnancy is it too late to still get her done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Some vets will do it right until the end of pregnancy. Some will do it after about 6 weeks (pregnancy is 9 weeks), I think that's kinda the average. Some won't do it at all if the cat is pregnant though (visibly pregnant anyway) so I'd ask them beforehand. If you explain she is feral then they might be more likely to do it. Or they might say wait til she has them and bring them in to be put to sleep . . . or if they really won't do it, then maybe you could try to rehome the kittens or get a rescue to take them?

Good luck, and good job getting them neutered, it's sad the other one got pregnant but at least you got the others done in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

I'd bring her into the vet and have them examine her, see how far along she is and see if they will spay her. If not then I'd give her in to a rescue, if she is happy to come right up to you at your door step she isn't actually feral, just a stray. A decent rescue will try and socialize her, get her vet treatment and look after and rehome babies if she is too far along to be spayed.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Thanks, yeah we are going to bring her in to vet anyway and see what they say. she was left by her mum on our doorstep and still very nervous around us, so dont know whether thats stray or feral.......she is definitley an outdoor cat, doesnt like being near us!

Advertisement