Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Like to Meet More People

Options
  • 09-05-2010 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    My husband and I moved to live in Portlaoise two years ago. We both work out of town so are gone all day. We are aged 48 and 52 (He's the oldest:D) and we'd love to meet more people in the town. Neither of us a pub goers and the most we'd usually do is go out for a walk or a meal. But we'd love to join some group where we could have some fun. Dance classes, drama, crafts - anything like that really. We're too old for the Youth Club and too young (just about!) for the Active Retirement Group, but anything in between would be considered! Any suggestions on how we could make ourselves more "Local"!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Scan Man

There's a ton of adult night classes in everything from Computers, to Irish, to Dance and Drama offered at Portlaoise College, run by the local VEC. They cost from between €55-€90 but might be worth you're while taking a look at: click here.

There's a book club formed by members of this forum which meets regularly in one of the pubs (Cloister's I think but not 100% sure) and might be also worth checking out if that floats your boat. Click here.

There's a "Portlaoise Over 50s" active retirement group lurking around as well in the town, although I'm not sure of their contact details. You might have some luck on finding them by contact the County Council, click here.

Real locals rarely partake in most of the activities on offer, but you'll eventually find your feet and a few friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Strom

Why don't you go to the softball meeting in Kavanaghs on Friday night. Its only starting out, so you be involved from the start.

There is a post in the Laois area with more details.

Advertisement