Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

internet browsers but which one?

• 09-05-2010 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Im looking into changing my browser which is internet explorer to perhaps google chrome?

Was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the two and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Perhaps you can tell me what you use and why?
    The only reason why I use IE is that I know where everything is and it has my favourites saved on it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Best thing to do is try it. No one can tell you which one you're going to like best

No reason you can't use both or switch between them, chrome is pretty popular, firefox is still popular, some people like opera. Pretty easy to download an install any or all of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Im looking into changing my browser which is internet explorer to perhaps google chrome?

Was wondering if anyone can tell me the difference between the two and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Perhaps you can tell me what you use and why?
    The only reason why I use IE is that I know where everything is and it has my favourites saved on it.

Thanks

Chrome is good, fast. Firefox is good if you like to customise your browser and time save.

If I was picking now, Firefox but Chrome to overtake it in 3/4 years.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

This is excellent

Neat and fast and no Google snooping. IE is a heap of rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

When ie 9 comes out,it may be good as it will use all the cpu, cores of multicore pc, ie intel core duo to speed up browsing , otherwise iron browser is the best, does not send info back to google as chrome does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Firefox is safer than IE, less open to exploits.
    Also there are plenty of nice add-ons to FireFox, eg.

"No-script" disables java scripting but allows you to enable it for sites on demand.

"Ad-block plus" will block a big list of advertising web sites, stopping a load of advertisements on web pages, including the ads on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Be aware, Google Chrome is like spyware, Google collect the information on what pages You click, same as having a Google Tooolbar

Thats why I'm still using Firefox, even though Chrome is much quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I don't find Chrome any faster than Firefox. Sure it starts up about 1.5seconds quicker but that's it.

Page rendering is pretty much the same, maybe Chrome has a slight edge in JavaScript processing but I find middle click auto scrolling really slow in Chrome compared to Firefox.

Opera 10.5 is also a good, and fast, browser. If you are on a slow connection (3g or dial-up) then Opera Turbo is a great feature.

For me Firefox is fast, plus the countless addons makes it "the best".

Coming from IE, honestly any browser will blow you away with speed and features :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

+1 for firefox. much better tabbed browsing than IE or chrome imo. a lot more customisable than chrome or IE as well. add-ons really make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I love Firefox and use it full-time now. The add-ons make it great. Addblock Plus is a godsend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Chrome ftw

Firefox/mozilla have seriously dropped the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I'd recommend Firefox, Chrome is good but not as accomplished as Firefox and I find very little if any speed differences. Firefox is also extremely customisable with addons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I find Chrome the best these days. Was a firefox man at heart for a long time, however their newer versions are woeful.. And as well as that all the plugins that you install seem to just chew through memory..

Chrome starts fast, and loads sites in super quick time. Thats why it gets my vote !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Chrome will blow you away in speed difference from IE.
    It also has loads of extensions now (equivalent of Firefox add-ons) including ad-block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

All watch this, then you'll switch to Chrome.

Chrome is king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Seifer wrote: »
    Chrome will blow you away in speed difference from IE.
    It also has loads of extensions now (equivalent of Firefox add-ons) including ad-block.

No proper adblock yet, it just hides them and doesn't stop them from downloading like Adblock Plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

I've been using Opera for about 3 years now, had a look at Firefox at the time but it was much slower, and was a resource hog. "Paste-and-go" in the context menu sold me on Opera (I'm sure it's been copied since though). The current version is as snappy as it was 3 years ago, even on my non-bleeding edge computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

Thanks all,
    Im currently stuck between chrome and firefox.
    Might give both a try and see what suits me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Try the two and see which one you like more.
    I was always a firefox head however recently converted to Chrome and loving it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i use Chrome but have a couple of gripes
    i miss the history drop down menu and there is no proper properties when you right click on a picture to give me size and dimensions of pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Viscaria

Found this while stumbling http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2dykMg/sixrevisions.com/infographs/browser-performance/
    Chrome is No.1 but I much prefer Opera never liked firefox and internet explorer is frustratingly slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

im going to buck the trend here and say it depends on what you want to do with it, or what you want it to do for you!

just that i read this thread and it reminds me of watching "top grear's" jeremy clarkson reviews- all he seems to concentrate on is the speed a car can do, and if it doesnt do 200mph "it's a heap of crap".

not everyone drives their car around a race track, and if you've ever parked on the M50, your top priority will be comfort!

chrome, firefox et al, have problems too with their intergration into windows and for me anway don't look as professional as IE, given their ability to be largely customised to an individual users preferences.

want to use windows update? there's an add-on for that-

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/195

no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Why not try all 3 browsers!

Lunascape for me http://www.lunascape.tv/

It's a tri-engine browser and with no effort at all you can switch engines without even having to reload. If you're a web developer even better again as you can see your site in IE, FF and Chrome/Safari ... Very customizable, have installed it a week ago and haven't looked back

Soooooo handy if you have websites that require different browsers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

I USE iron browser, but firefox is good for flash, youtube, chrome sometimes crashes when using flash videos after 20minutes.
    EG gametrailers, or gamevideos videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

xsiborg wrote: »
    not everyone drives their car around a race track, and if you've ever parked on the M50, your top priority will be comfort!

chrome, firefox et al, have problems too with their intergration into windows and for me anway don't look as professional as IE, given their ability to be largely customised to an individual users preferences.
    Browsers aren't cars. The most important thing is speed. You want to see the webpage you've requested as fast as possible.
    And you think more customisation means less professional? lol?
    I used IE8 for awhile and occasionally programs will still open a page in it and damn is it ugly compared to chrome's smooth curves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dean Wilson

I use Firefox mainly and Chrome as a backup. Both are excellent. IE still has a lot of work to do and will probably never regain its losses now that Chrome is on the rise.

Advertisement