Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my Dad to Quit Smoking

Options
  • 09-05-2010 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I lost my Grandad last month. His health towards the end deteroiated a lot due to the fact he had smoked for most of his life.
    It was very hard to see but this isn't really why I've started this thread. My dad is also a smoker and I've been trying to gradually encourage him to quit since I moved over to London in October. I've bought him patches etc and I've tried not to hassle him about it too much. But I suppose what I'm asking is-is there anything else I could do to encourage him?

I really just don't want him to be in the same state my Grandad was when he gets a bit older.

I'd appreciate the opinions of ex-smokers or people who are trying to give up.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Seonad wrote: »
    I lost my Grandad last month. His health towards the end deteroiated a lot due to the fact he had smoked for most of his life.
    It was very hard to see but this isn't really why I've started this thread. My dad is also a smoker and I've been trying to gradually encourage him to quit since I moved over to London in October. I've bought him patches etc and I've tried not to hassle him about it too much. But I suppose what I'm asking is-is there anything else I could do to encourage him?

I really just don't want him to be in the same state my Grandad was when he gets a bit older.

I'd appreciate the opinions of ex-smokers or people who are trying to give up.

Thanks

Sorry to hear about your grandad. My Dad's twin brother died of cancer of the lung about a year ago. Previously, my Dad was a cigar smoker and it made him give up instantly.

I suppose the death of a relative from smoking has different effects on certain people who smoke. There are no smokers who are unaware of the health risks but people tend to just ignore them.

Anyway, I'd recommend the Allen Carr "Easy Way to Stop Smoking". (which is all I ever seem to talk about on this forum). Having given up before without success, I found it to be a huge help. It's also the type of book anyone could read in a few days.

Just tell you're Dad that you're worried about him and would like him to read the book. Nothing to lose.

Edit: Cheaper than a box of ciggies!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/014103940X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273363640&sr=8-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You can get him the book, patches, etc, but unless he actually wants to give up they'll be a waste of money.

Getting him to want to is the hard part. From personal experience I would probably approach it from the angle of how he would be missed, or how he would never see people he cares about again if he was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ceduffy

agreed wanting to quit is the main thing if he doesn't want to now he will in the future believe me and best of luck

Advertisement