Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scratched discs

Options
  • 09-05-2010 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could have one of my games' surface repaired (scratches and such) or a place where I could buy a hand-crack disc doctor type thing in Cork. Since I live near CIT, the closer to it, the better. I heard that Gamestop does them in America but I don't know if they do them here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

GAME do it in Ireland, i know that for a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ardyH wrote: »
    I could buy a hand-crack disc doctor.

ouch that sounds painful ;)

yeah Game and Gamespot as well i think do it for about a fiver a disk

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭blue movie

Thats right it is €5 a disc. I had a laser burn on a disc when i knocked my x box over with the dics playing in it.

Asked in gamestop did they do it or anywhere do it & was told no I would have to buy a new game or go rent it and swap the disc :rolleyes:

A quick trip to Game and it was done in ten minutes. Happy days, about €60 cheaper than the new game thet the guy in gamestop suggested :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ardyH

I emailed Gamestop and it seems that they, unfortunately, don't do that in Ireland, and after looking around some, I don't think there's a Game store in Cork either. It's starting to look like I'll have to buy my own disc doctor in the end. Does anyone know of any place else that may do it for you (in Cork)? Or even a place where you can buy things like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭left_behind

smyths do it in galway for 5 so im sure they have it in cork to

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip left_behind. I went and called both Smythes in Cork but it seems that both of their machines have been malfunctioning and were sent away. Neither of them have any idea when they will be repaired and returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

ardyH wrote: »
    I emailed Gamestop and it seems that they, unfortunately, don't do that in Ireland, and after looking around some, I don't think there's a Game store in Cork either. It's starting to look like I'll have to buy my own disc doctor in the end. Does anyone know of any place else that may do it for you (in Cork)? Or even a place where you can buy things like this?

Theres one on Patrick Street next to the McDonalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

There is a place on bandon rd in cork, across from galvins the movie club, they have the professional machine which will actually resurface the disk its the only way to go.
    Its a dvd rental store you will get the number in yellow pages

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You could always take it to extravision and do a straight swap for a working copy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

where in Dublin (preferably city centre) can I get this done? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

SeantheMan wrote: »
    You could always take it to extravision and do a straight swap for a working copy ;)

Or you could do the honest thing and bring the disc into Xtra-Vision and ask them to fix the disc for you. AFAIK they have a machine which will remove the scratches from the disc. They might even do it for free if you ask them nicely!;)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    martydunf wrote: »
    Or you could do the honest thing and bring the disc into Xtra-Vision and ask them to fix the disc for you. AFAIK they have a machine which will remove the scratches from the disc. They might even do it for free if you ask them nicely!;)

Hmmm... it's like one of those old TV shows with an angel and a devil on each shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Surely if you return a scratched disc to Xtravision they're going to charge you for damaging it in the first place?

Zillah wrote: »
    Surely if you return a scratched disc to Xtravision they're going to charge you for damaging it in the first place?

Why would he be returning the disc? He never said anything about renting it? OP said it was his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Never saw one in any of the three XV I worked in.

noodler wrote: »
    Never saw one in any of the three XV I worked in.

Guess the Waterford branch were one of the lucky few who got one of the machines so

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

martydunf wrote: »
    Guess the Waterford branch were one of the lucky few who got one of the machines so

Twas a couple of years ago I admit but still.

Thanks to pablomakaveli for recommending the Game store at St. Patrick's street. I was able to go there today and get the disc repaired. However, as the guy at the store told me, there was one scratch that was in too deep to safely work on without damaging the data layer and despite the fact that the disc generally looked better after being 'repaired', my problem was not resolved.

Originally, in a PS2 game I've hard for years, I was unable to access part of the game and it seems that I still cannot. It is unfortunate, but, I guess it can't be helped.

Advertisement