Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those Little Gripes

Options
  • 09-05-2010 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Since Super is out a little while it's pretty topical. But this question applies to other Fighting Games too. What are those little things that bother you - ignoring obvious imbalances and such...

Super Street Fighter for me:
    Ranked matches online - searching, searching, searching...and then sometimes finding one after a while and not connecting

Match settings - fair enough, everyone has a preference...but why is that 1 Round; and even worse 1 round and 30 seconds. And then of course, that's the only match I can join time and time again.

Sore losers - rarely happens to me but played a guy tonight and beat him 2-0. No hassle in first round, cagey in second round (won by time out). He threw Ultras in both that didn't hit. Message straight after "pussy, you're f**king sh*t". Yet I got the Victory screen; strange that :D Was going to send that but in the end, cracked and just said ":) gg" (Further pity that he was Irish)

the fact that so many others are so much better than me :D

And over to you...

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Ragequitters are filthy scum and when I rise to power my elite trenchcoat police will seek them out in their fetid burrows and purge them from the face of the earth with righteous flame!

Seriously though, needs some system that detects when you are about to be perfected, quit and sent a message containing certain keywords within like 2 minutes - it will instruct the xbox to fry the HD, red ring and put a massive gash in the disk.

Is that so much to ask? :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Sabre0001 wrote:
    Ranked matches online - searching, searching, searching...and then sometimes finding one after a while and not connecting

The not connecting part may be due to ports not being open on either end of the connection or both. Its also possible that someone else has joined the game before you tried to connect to it.
    Sabre0001 wrote:
    Match settings - fair enough, everyone has a preference...but why is that 1 Round; and even worse 1 round and 30 seconds. And then of course, that's the only match I can join time and time again

These are asshats trying to climb up the ranking ladder. Rather than try and get good at the game their gameplan consists of hoping people don't notice the settings and then hitting you once and twice and run away. Muppets to be avoided.
    Sabre0001 wrote:
    Sore losers - rarely happens to me but played a guy tonight and beat him 2-0. No hassle in first round, cagey in second round (won by time out). He threw Ultras in both that didn't hit. Message straight after "pussy, you're f**king sh*t". Yet I got the Victory screen; strange that Was going to send that but in the end, cracked and just said " gg" (Further pity that he was Irish)

More asshats. Nothing exclusive to Street Fighter. The world of online gaming is full of em. All you can do is shrug and ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Azza wrote: »
    These are asshats trying to climb up the ranking ladder. Rather than try and get good at the game their gameplan consists of hoping people don't notice the settings and then hitting you once and twice and run away. Muppets to be avoided.

On the contrary, I love hunting down one-round-thirty-seconders. Especially if they're Cammy. They all have the same game plan, Spiral Arrow then try to stay away for the rest of the match. I play as Balrog, jump back and HP to catch their Arrow, then murder them in about 15 seconds.

They always boot me if I get matched against them again afterwards. Odd, that.

In Super, I'm starting to hate Juri turtlers. They stay back, racking up some fireballs, and then do that air kick thing to escape if you get too close. It's not too difficult to beat, but it's incredibly annoying.

In team battle, I hate how it doesn't reset your team alliance between matches. It keeps you in the colour you were in before. Like one time, it was 4v4, and once it ended my three team-mates quit. None of the others did. The host started a new tournament, which was four vs one: me. It was quite a satisfying victory, but it should have been three vs two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Not being able to jab my opponents corpse at the end of a round in Super.

Ragequitters used to not bug me much, probably because I didn't get them that often, but recently I get them a Hell of a lot more and it really is starting to get under my skin. Hopefully it's a sign that I'm getting better and players in general aren't becoming more retarded.

Shortcuts in SFIV. Every time I think I've suddenly gotten used to avoiding the DownForward, DownForward Shoryuken shortcut I'll accidentally throw out a Soul Throw that will cost me the game. Largly my fault, but I still wish they weren't in there.

Easy to do 360 motions in SFIV. I accidentally do Seth's grab very often when I try and fire a boom. Again, while still my fault on overly loose inputs, mixing up a quarter roll and a 360 should not be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Match settings - fair enough, everyone has a preference...but why is that 1 Round; and even worse 1 round and 30 seconds. And then of course, that's the only match I can join time and time again.
    Azza wrote: »
    More asshats. Nothing exclusive to Street Fighter. The world of online gaming is full of em. All you can do is shrug and ignore them.

Have to laugh when this happens to me. I just know that they are thinking "crap" when they see Dhalsim on the character select screen. Long range crouch jab in the first second, and just zone them out. It's a taste of their own medicine and its pretty delicious :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Kirby wrote: »
    Have to laugh when this happens to me. I just know that they are thinking "crap" when they see Dhalsim on the character select screen. Long range crouch jab in the first second, and just zone them out. It's a taste of their own medicine and its pretty delicious :D

sonic boom! sonic boom! (airthrow)

Down and back.

Sunglasses at 1 second.

That'll teach you to try and build pp by cheating the system :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Actually my biggest niggle in the whole of super is the little faces are gone.

I liked those little faces.

Let people know you were laughing, or no hard feelings when they kicked your ass.

tis a niggly niggle though.

Actually my biggest niggle in the whole of super is the little faces are gone.
    Agreed. As small a feature they were, they were a great little indicator in player matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

RopeDrink wrote: »

* People who create a joinable session then bugger off to have their f*cking dinner so that people like you are free to enter, sit there for 10seconds... 20seconds... "Come on... Come ON... COME ON, HIT READY!" before leaving to go back to another 30mins of spamming refresh to look for another session... +50 Rage Points when the person who does this happens to be 5-Bar.

* The idea that Capcom can release SF4 for the PC then either totally neglect, or heavily delay, any possible release of Super for the PC.

* People who automatically kick you from an open session they've made - This happens a lot and in most cases it's often because they have their Language/Preference set to somewhere else in the EU that ISN'T UK/English - Gee I only waited 30min to find a game - It's not like I joined your session to try have a f'ing conversation in French/Italian/Polska etc

Hahahaa I'm with yea here Ropey, that last point there, actually I reckon a lot if it is people waiting for their mates, who didnt know how to host a private lobby.

Mainly cause on pc and hell more often then not on ps3 also , I'll message people.

Ragequit on me? I'll rub it in in a message to you , ragekick? same. Kick me as I join a room, I'll send a WTF? message. Host a game then go on holidays? You'll get a don't host the game and go on holidays message :p

7/10 times they reply. And more often then not the guys who insta kick you say sorry they;re waiting for a friend. I'll say , np host a private one next time. And annoyingly they always ask me how.... wtf its right there when you go to host ffs..

All this added to how long it can take to find that game with the perfect connection can make things annoying alright.

Not to rub in super into your face ropey but the flag feature is so helpful, you just join by flags , now the only reason I'd be spending time searching is looking for an endless match that's only 1v1. (Endless is the new playermatch)

Also when your hosting a game it makes a noise when a player joins. So you can browse the net or whatever while you wait (you can't play arcade mode and host an endless game for some reason)

Sairus wrote: »
    Not being able to jab my opponents corpse at the end of a round in Super.

Shortcuts

This ^

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Best way to get games for ranked IMO is to go to arcade then allow challenges. Otherwise I'd head to endless. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Sairus wrote: »
    Easy to do 360 motions in SFIV. I accidentally do Seth's grab very often when I try and fire a boom. Again, while still my fault on overly loose inputs, mixing up a quarter roll and a 360 should not be possible.

If you ever see me performing Hakan's command throw when I'm out of range it's because I'm trying to do a F***ING slide. In the average game, this happens about twice as many times as successful slides do.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Dunjohn wrote: »
    If you ever see me performing Hakan's command throw when I'm out of range it's because I'm trying to do a F***ING slide. In the average game, this happens about twice as many times as successful slides do.

Oh dear god I know your pain. You jump back or block a move and try to oil slide and hakan just stands there and says "seriously?" :mad: Reli annoying constantly reminding meself to let the stick go back to the middle. Wouldnt happen if 360 motions had to go backwards. Tis a very simple fix to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Bisons new ultra.... that is all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Sabre0001 wrote: »

Ranked mode is full of these cretins. It's so bloody annoying and you get nothing from the fight as they're all the same and don't have a clue what to do other than jump back and throw fireballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Having to wait until July for Championship Mode, when Ranked will become obsolete. I mean, besides individual character points and disconnect ratios being added its the same crappy Ranked mode from the SFIV

sonic boom! sonic boom! (airthrow)

I've done that to two losers thus far, both of them ragequit in the face of slow boom chipdeath. :pac:

For things that are genuine flaws in the game, its all about the shortcuts. I really fail to see why they can't just have an option to only accept accurate inputs.

Thankfully Guile has little trouble with them, but my absolute favorite BS input is getting a cannon spike from inputting a TK cannon strike. Thats a 225 degree rotation backwards from down to up-forward registering as forward, down, down forward, riiiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes:

No endless match request also, I mean come on - how the hell do you miss that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

No endless match request also, I mean come on - how the hell do you miss that?

Endless match request would kinda go against the match request feature. The whole point of the match request feature was to simulate the arcade, where you would be playing single player and someone would challenge.

That's my take on it anyway.

My main gripe is the same gripe I had in SF4. Autoblock.

That makes sense I guess, but a player match lobby was essentially "endless" as well and they allowed that in vanilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

RYU dp being nerf'd....... come, how am I expected to play without a hugely unbalanced character against you lot =p......

Also, not being able to hit after KO = Farz.

Bad internet - not really a game fault but I am driven so demented by it, I had to put it in.

RYU dp being nerf'd....... come on, how am I expected to play without a hugely unbalanced character against you lot =p......

Also, not being able to hit after KO = Farz.

Bad internet - not really a game fault but I am driven so demented by it, I had to put it in.

• Advertisement

Double post being an example of crappy T-interweb

M-M-M-Multi-Kill!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Dropping one link to be hit with a mashed out 360/DP/reversal ultra

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

What's more fun Zapp, is when I do Honda's Ex. Cancel out of hands to go for the Oicho, and I am INSTANTLY dragon punched.

Now, there are plenty here who could reversal me on reaction from that, but they have seen me do it before and will be watching for it, plus there's a noticeable gap where they go "crap, need to srk" and then they do it. I respect that, that takes skill.

But when it's clear you're a dirty shoto n00b who's been taking advantage of auto-block on HHS while rocking your analogue stick between down and forward and mashing punch, that really annoys me :mad:

Ooh, I forgot one. Auto direction corrects. RAGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Personal gripe for me is I wish ranked online worked like in tekken 6. As in pick your character, round preferences etc and then it sends you into a game.

Just wrecks me head when I'm jumping in with someone to get an idea of and I've 0 BP and fight some1 that has 3000 BP. In this case my problem isnt that I lose, thats fine but that the match is clearly not a level playing ground. If I picked a character in tekken that was rank D, my match will be against someone thats rank D. Now I know endless etc is there for friendlies but lol I'm finding peeps aint really using that at the mo for training, but for their 10 ranked wins achievements so the opponent fights very... Unfun!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Personal gripe for me is I wish ranked online worked like in tekken 6. As in pick your character, round preferences etc and then it sends you into a game.

Just wrecks me head when I'm jumping in with someone to get an idea of and I've 0 BP and fight some1 that has 3000 BP. In this case my problem isnt that I lose, thats fine but that the match is clearly not a level playing ground. If I picked a character in tekken that was rank D, my match will be against someone thats rank D. Now I know endless etc is there for friendlies but lol I'm finding peeps aint really using that at the mo for training, but for their 10 ranked wins achievements so the opponent fights very... Unfun!

I agree, I hate not being able to try new characters in Ranked, since the game doesnt take your 0 BP with that character into account when you take a loss and it takes away 100 PP for a loss against someone who used their 1000 BP main who you would normally beat no problem. Nerd Rage, I know these points wont matter in a few months time with Championship Mode, but I like my numbers high.

And what everyone else has mentioned, the smileys. It was nice to show respect to someone after Player Matches.

Lads the points don't matter now, never mind them not mattering when the tourney DLC is out.

They are totally meaningless and not a reflection of skill. 1st ranked matched I ever played in this game, went in with ibuki, only just got playing her, and I was put against a 5000+ points Guy player, 1st time fighting Guy properly and I beat him. Was nothing special.

I had no idea 5000 was meant to be high till I played more ranked and got an idea how long it'd take to get 5000.

The best players I've played have had 0 points. In fact the only good players I've fought so far have had either 0 or a low point count.

Never assume the guy is better then you when you see higher points, and never assume your better when you see 0. Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

What Sisko said is the truth.

I would say that tournament wins are what count but then you got these internationally famous players who fail to get out groups :pac:

• Advertisement

1st to 10 is probably the best way , like a tier list format.

Advertisement