Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those Little Gripes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Sisko wrote: »
    1st to 10 is probably the best way , like a tier list format.

I was just looking to make a cheap joke.

In all seriousness, I think it's whatever you want to count, counts. When you're playing serious, then yes a FT10 is good indicator or tournament placements.

At other times you might be training so then performing a certain trap, move whatever during a game is the important. When I first started incorporating Chuns dash ultra, any game where I got dash ultra out first time was a good game for me.

There's that want the big PP/BP/GP/WE score. They don't care what it takes, they just want a big score.

Hell you've got people that don't care about any of this. They just wanna load up the game for ten minutes, throw a few fireballs and be done. Win lose or draw they're happy if they can throw some fire from their hands.

A gripe of mine would be players that use online rankings as a measurement of skill. I don't care how good your connection is, if you haven't done it offline then you haven't done it. That might sound elitest but it's just a fact of fighting games. It's same reason we want to play on CRTs not HDTVs. It's only offline on a lagless system that players have access to the game the way it's meant to be played.

[/Rambling Rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Sisko wrote: »
    Lads the points don't matter now, never mind them not mattering when the tourney DLC is out.

They are totally meaningless and not a reflection of skill. 1st ranked matched I ever played in this game, went in with ibuki, only just got playing her, and I was put against a 5000+ points Guy player, 1st time fighting Guy properly and I beat him. Was nothing special.

I had no idea 5000 was meant to be high till I played more ranked and got an idea how long it'd take to get 5000.

The best players I've played have had 0 points. In fact the only good players I've fought so far have had either 0 or a low point count.

Never assume the guy is better then you when you see higher points, and never assume your better when you see 0. Never.

The bp doesnt matter. It seems you get bp just for grinding. If someone had 5000 pp they would have to be at least decent unless they are cheating.
    Ill probably stick to ranked when the tournament mode comes out. Its quick and easy with usually decent players. I think the tournament mode will be like the endless lobbies where 99% of the people in there are terrible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Bush80 wrote: »
    The bp doesnt matter. It seems you get bp just for grinding. If someone had 5000 pp they would have to be at least decent unless they are cheating.
    Ill probably stick to ranked when the tournament mode comes out. Its quick and easy with usually decent players. I think the tournament mode will be like the endless lobbies where 99% of the people in there are terrible.

I miss the old championship mode. That way you usually got a good spread of quality (first easy, second match less easy, third usually quality, and so on)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Sairus wrote: »
    Ooh, I forgot one. Auto direction corrects. RAGE.

You shut your dirty mouth....

Auto correct is a thing of beauty, seemlessly turning my headbutts back to front as folk try to cross me up.

It's actually a skill you know.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

A-Trak wrote: »
    You shut your dirty mouth....

Auto correct is a thing of beauty, seemlessly turning my headbutts back to front as folk try to cross me up.

It's actually a skill you know.

Sonic Hurricane auto corrects much better than flash explosion.

I thought you'd all be delighted to know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Guile/Honda match was a 7-3 before and it seems even worse now.

Poor Honda players.

Meanwhile I get a really fast EX special, that's invincible to fireballs, hits twice, is an overhead and armour breaking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I like auto direction changes. Makes beating that b*****d Seth less of a chore. Knockdown, teleport, teleport, teleport, FIST IN FACE.

I've been playing Arcade a lot, y'see. My internet connection is so awful that I can't seem to finish a single Ranked match anymore before it half-boots me (XBox Live is still connected, but I can't join games) and makes me look like a ragequitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sonic Hurricane auto corrects much better than flash explosion.

I thought you'd all be delighted to know that.
    I did this by accident on Day 1. Instantly realised that you'll learn to exploit it. Fearful now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

-The lack of emoticons at the match-up screen. Online seems sterile without them. I'm not joking. I really enjoyed going into a player match.
    -I also used enjoy finding someone that will have a series of fights using random characters. Now you can't see the person selecting the "?".
    -People kicking you from matches if you have beaten them already. Also people kicking you for no reason. Even fellow boardsies. Boo.
    -Excessive taunting. I don't care if you are better than me. You lok like you are an idiot.

Funnily enough, have only had one rage quitter. I pm'd him to say "bad sport-worse Balrog". He replied "enjoy" ?!? Probably didn't want the replay uploaded of a perfect and a soon to be second perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Makoto's voice actress drives me nuts. Makoto's best defense is that you don't want to hit or because she'll produce one of those ear-scraping wails. And for the love of God, if you play as Makoto, please never use Focus Attacks!

The narration in Gouken's Arcade intro doesn't match the subtitles at one point (saying "a myriad of" instead of just "myriad").

I get the vague impression that my gripes are utterly banal compared to most peoples'.

• Advertisement

People who come into my lobby, back out, come in, back out, come in, back out. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Let's see

- Autoblock
    - Autocorrect
    - Shortcuts, like omg
    - EX system in SFIV needs improving imo

More but I'm too lazy to rant or think of any

What's wrong with the EX system?

Ramza wrote: »
    - Autocorrect
    - Shortcuts, like omg
    - EX system in SFIV needs improving imo

Just to point out, third strike also had autocorrect. The real problem you're having here is the massive gulf of a reversal window.

Shortcuts aren't a massive issue imo. Again it's more the leniency of inputs that leads to most peoples issues. Damn that leniency destroying walk forward fireballs.

I don't see an issue with the EX system.

Orim wrote: »
    Just to point out, third strike also had autocorrect. The real problem you're having here is the massive gulf of a reversal window.

Shortcuts aren't a massive issue imo. Again it's more the leniency of inputs that leads to most peoples issues. Damn that leniency destroying walk forward fireballs.

I don't see an issue with the EX system.

When there's a million different ways to do an input and it interferes with other things then imo it's a problem

Yeah I think that's it. Crossups had no real relevance in 3s (maybe in some places), even then reversals were pointless. in ST they were very useful and then the reversal window was tight and pulling off reversals required a lot of skill, so it balanced out

EX system is retarded. 4 EX per meter is stupid. I propsed maybe have one half of ex block for ex (8 ex per meter) but keep FADC at two. FADC is stupid too to an extent. Only useful in certain situations and even then it seems like a waste. The whole focus system removes a lot of the footsie element and poking game at certain ranges. It's taking from the game.

You want eight EX moves per full meter? Unless they made meter building much harder to do, that'd be way too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I can't remember an exact number off the top of my head (hell, I never counted in the first place) but you can certainly get more than 4 in 3S depending on the super used.

I use(d) SA2 Remy and full meter provided many EX booms, at least 6 I think. Could throw a couple and still have a super stocked as well (He was crap-tier if you're wondering).

Come to think of it some EX moves are REALLY good in SFIV, maybe 8 is a little too much. I don't know, I never liked the EX system in SFIV, it's unproportional

As I stated before, focus system, just really out of place/diminishing

There's so many little things that need changing imo, the game would be soo much more without. There's a line between making a game appealing and playable for beginners, and making a game watered down simple
    I can't remember an exact number off the top of my head (hell, I never counted in the first place) but you can certainly get close to that in 3S depending on the super used.

In 3s you could choose a super art though. Supers we're really useful in 3s unlike in SFIV where not many characters are encouraged to use theirs. Also, some SAs were pure for meter. EG ; Ryu SA1 was a pure meter super, no one really uses SA1 but picks it because you got so much EX for EX hado/EX donkey kick, two of Ryu's best moves. On the other hand, you had stocks in 3s for most supers, meaning you could have 4/5 ex moves and a super. Meter building was a lot easier in 3s too. It just makes more sense. It works. I don't understand it in SFIV, at least make it a bit better

I can't remember an exact number off the top of my head (hell, I never counted in the first place) but you can certainly get close to that in 3S depending on the super used.

Not off one bar. Maybe from Supers with multiple stocks.
    Ramza wrote: »
    Come to think of it some EX moves are REALLY good in SFIV, maybe 8 is a little too much. I don't know, I never liked the EX system in SFIV, it's unproportional

As I stated before, focus system, just really out of place/diminishing

There's so many little things that need changing imo, the game would be soo much more without. There's a line between making a game appealing and playable for beginners, and making a game watered down simple

I like the focus system. It can't be overused as it costs health to use it and outside of some very specific instances can only be used to absorb one hit of a multi-hitting move. Also the most powerful application of it takes half of your super meter to do, which again stops it from being overused or abused.

Personally I think it's the best system to be added to a SF game since Hyper Fighting.

Personally I think it's the best system to be added to a SF game since Hyper Fighting.

Better than A2s custom combos? Surely you jest. :pac:

I like the system myself, it has it's kinks and problems, but better than supers? Surely that's going a bit far?

• Advertisement

I just don't like how focus removes from footsies and mid/close range poking. But good point Chopper about it's more powerful use taking half meter.

I can't really put my finger on what for sure I don't like about SFIV. I tip my hat to the game for getting SO MANY newcomers, latecomers and communities growing. I commend the game for that. I enjoy the game but I'm not really compelled to take it proper. I say I will and I sit down with it, then there's just something inside me that goes "ughh not arsed" or whatever after playing for a while. Every other SF I can play for hours on end and they just seem to flow and work. SFIV for me is a moderation game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Poor Ramza, what you don't like about IV is that it's not 3.3 :pac:

Orim wrote: »
    Better than A2s custom combos? Surely you jest. :pac:

I like the system myself, it has it's kinks and problems, but better than supers? Surely that's going a bit far?

Damn custom combos! Alpha 2 would be the best SF game ever without them.

Supers were introduced in ST and really didn't belong in the SFII series. They were hugely powerful and quite easy to land. They worked far better in the Alpha series when overall damage (outside of silly custom combos) was toned down and they were normally just powerful combo enders, but not too powerful.

The removal of whiffing normals for meter is probably alongside the focus system as the best things in SFIV. Now they just need to remove whiffed specials building meter.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Poor Ramza, what you don't like about IV is that it's not 3.3 :pac:

No offense Kiki and I know you're joking, but if anyone thinks this you need to wake up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I like the focus system. It can't be overused as it costs health to use it and outside of some very specific instances can only be used to absorb one hit of a multi-hitting move. Also the most powerful application of it takes half of your super meter to do, which again stops it from being overused or abused.

It's awful, it completely destroys midrange footsie game which is enough to make me think it's a bad system mechanic

Im not a fan of the focus system either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Not off one bar. Maybe from Supers with multiple stocks.

Nobody specified one bar. :pac:

In any case I'll put another boot in the focus system, didn't like it when vanilla came out, don't like it now.

Nobody specified one bar. :pac:

Ramza did, he suggested eight uses of EX per meter.

Ramza did, he suggested eight uses of EX per meter.

What, it's the same thing regardless of stock numbers

Ratio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Im not a big fan of the focus system either, especially since alot of players just use the same boring formula: Fireball - Jump in - Jab x2 - Charge Lvl 2 Focus, repeats steps 3 and 4. With the occasional throw.

Advertisement