Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leicester v Cardiff - Playoff SF 1st Leg

• 09-05-2010 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Leicester-City-256x256.png v cardiff_city_football_club.jpg

Sunday 9th May, The Walkers Stadium, K.O. 1.15pm - Live on SS1

Betting Odds: Leicester 5/4, Draw 9/4, Cardiff 9/4

Leicester host Cardiff City on Sunday in the first leg of their Championship play-off semi-final. The Foxes are in the hunt for back-to-back promotions having made it up from League One last term. Cardiff missed out on the play-offs on the final day of last season so they are happy to have made it this time around, but both teams now have their sights firmly set on Wembley.

Leicester Team News

Leicester could bring back leading scorer Matty Fryatt - who has not started a game since February because of a broken jaw. Matt Oakley is also in contention to come back in following an ankle problem - which has sidelined him for nearly a month.

Michael Morrison and Nicky Adams are back in contention after not being risked for the final game of the season against Middlesbrough.
    Steve Howard serves the final match of his suspension.

Cardiff Team News

Cardiff boss Dave Jones won the play-offs with Wolves in 2003 and he will be looking to mastermind a repeat with the Bluebirds. Jones rested a number of his first-choice players for the final game of the season with Derby.

But Jones will bring the likes of David Marshall,Peter Whittingham, Jay Bothroyd, Joe Ledley and Michael Chopra back into the starting line-up.

Cardiff are defensively sound and i think they'll cope with a physical Foxes side. I'm gonna go for a 1-1 draw here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'd love to see a Welsh team in the English Premier League.:D

• Site Banned Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭Silvio.Dante

I dislike Fester with a passion. So Naturally I hope they get through and we stuff them in the final. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Come on Leicester

Spearing to get a hat-trick so that his price will go up when Liverpool sell him.:D Would like to see Hobbs do well as.

Come on Leicester

Spearing to get a hat-trick so that his price will go up when Liverpool sell him.:D Would like to see Hobbs do well as.

My dislike of Fester almost matches my negativity towards Liverpool but thats for another thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

My dislike of Fester almost matches my negativity towards Liverpool but thats for another thread ;)

Let the love in ...you'll live longer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I hope Leicster destroy Cardiff now. Stupid smug Peter Ridsdale. Must watch this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What a goal!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

good goal but the keeper should be doing better from that range

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Shocking from Fryatt! Absolutely shocking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pretty woeful game. Last 10 mins were ok. I really don't know how Fryatt didn't score that. Lack of fitness is not an excuse in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Delighted Fester didn't get a result. They lack that little bit of class and a match winner that Cardiff had in Whittingham. Surely Cardiff will be at Wembley now.

grenache wrote: »
    Delighted Fester didn't get a result. They lack that little bit of class and a match winner that Cardiff had in Whittingham. Surely Cardiff will be at Wembley now.

If I were you, I'd be hoping for a Leicester win. They're really not a great team at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

That_Guy wrote: »
    If I were you, I'd be hoping for a Leicester win. They're really not a great team at all.

No, we don't want them if get through. I know from our most recent meeting in March (3-0 defeat) that we dont like their style of play. They like to fling lots of balls into the box from out wide and i'm not confident we'll react well that aerial bombardment. Granted we beat them 5-1 in December but we're not playing with the same swagger now. No, we want Cardiff. At least they'll keep it on the ground.

Not looking past Blackpool though, to do so would be foolhardy.

I'd rather Cardiff myself. We seem to have the measure of them. But must concentrate on Blackpol first. Is it tuesday yet...:(

grenache wrote: »

Through that little bit of cheating. How conveniant it went in off the post.

Second leg on now, 3-1 to Leicster so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mushy wrote: »
    Second leg on now, 3-1 to Leicster so far!

forgot this was even on.

Some turnaround

3-2 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pity this is clashing with the EL final as it seems a very good game also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is this game going to penalties?

Edit: Just saw on BBC that it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Come on Cardiff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

"Whats that coming over the hill? It's Michael Chopra, it's Michael Chopra"

YES.

He needs shooting for that:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

the cocky fecker!

Stupid bastard. Idiot

Disgraceful penalty effort tbh.

Gwan the Mark Kennedy.

Cardiff or Blackpool in the Premiership.

Cmon Cardiff.

I'll be wearing my Cardiff jersey that day.

Woo! Cardiff or Blackpool will be in the Premier League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭pablodunlop

Eejit

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Would really like to see Cardiff make it through now they were my second choice after Forrest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Mark Kennedy is still playing?!
    He's only 33!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What a plonker. Hilarious stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No love for Cardiff or Ridsdale, but pleased for Dave Jones. A really good manager.

Though the Sky commentators were way too harsh on the penalty miss...no penalty taker should be blamed that much for missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

dfx- wrote: »
    No love for Cardiff or Ridsdale, but pleased for Dave Jones. A really good manager.

Though the Sky commentators were way too harsh on the penalty miss...no penalty taker should be blamed that much for missing.

He was trying to be clever and it backfired, he should take some stick for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Haha, from the Cardiff city Wiki:
    They went on to beat Leicester City in penalties after the second leg ended up in a 3-3 draw on agregate. One of the Leicester City knob-ends brained a penalty and ruined his teams chances of promotion.
    :D

[edit] Aww it's been fixed again.

Glad to see Cardiff getting to the final, hope they win it.

He was an idiot. 100% his fault.

Picked probably the worst moment of his career to try act flashy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

No player takes a penalty like that for the good of his team. He was trying to make a name for himself, and it backfired. Deserves any stick he gets.

Agreed. In a penalty shootout you do not act the tart like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

He missed..he could've blazed it over the bar like Waddle or Jason Byrne by losing their bottle - is that any better? At least he got it on target. It's not the worst penalty in the world like Southgate's penalty in Euro96..

He mis-hit it, that's all. You'd swear he threw the game by the reactions..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What's all the fuss about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What's all the fuss about?

Leicester player taking the most important peno of his life tried the cheeky dink.

Epic fail.

Should have went for the tried and trusted "im going to smash this so hard if the keeper saves hes going in with it " approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

You've got to feel a little sorry for him it looked as if he was completely ignored in the aftermath wouldn't be surprised if Pearson had to be dragged off him in the dressing room.

What a way to kick your last ball for a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Leicester player taking the most important peno of his life tried the cheeky dink.

Epic fail.

Should have went for the tried and trusted "im going to smash this so hard if the keeper saves hes going in with it " approach.

anyone got a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Good to see Cardiff get some revenge on Leicester for this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4KTepNxWNI
    :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

how people can want cardiff to get promoted is beyond me?

event wrote: »
    how people can want cardiff to get promoted is beyond me?

Meh. I don't really mind either way. Would love to see Blackpool ahead of them. Two good attacking teams.

Brilliant game last night though. Got a bit bored of the Europa final so switched onto this. Amazing game of football. Never really wanted it to end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

whens the final?

Saturday May 22nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote: »
    Saturday May 22nd.

Christ almighty. Won't be on anywhere in Dublin, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement