Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darwin, Darwin, Darwin

Options
  • 09-05-2010 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hey all,

Headin to darwin june 3rd from sydney, hopin to get some work in the fisheries so we can get our year 2 visa...maybe pearling?? Pretty much just looking for ad vice, hints tips, pickin your proverbial collective brain is all...:D
    Anyway if any1s been up darwin way and wants to share the knowledge all is appreciated!!

cheers guys and gals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Oh man, its not the nicest city in the world. Its not like Sydney so dont assume it will be even close.
    Its also very, very hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dnpixel

Darwin is not like Sydney, that's what's great about it. There's plenty of work up here and you're coming at the best time of the year. Jump on the net and link up with an agency and you'll find work. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Jumpy wrote: »
    Oh man, its not the nicest city in the world. Its not like Sydney so dont assume it will be even close.
    Its also very, very hot.

It's not the nicest for sure, but it's got it's qualities. The wharf area is quite nice. The night markets on Tuesday and Sunday are great, as is the local market on Saturday. It's VERY close to some amazing national parks. It's a got a decent pub/club scene too if that's what you're after (as most backpackers in Darwin seem to be).

On the downside, you can't swim on the beaches cos of the Box jellyfish, the humidity is insane and if you're not into the pub/club scene, there's fcuk all else to do in the evening (aside from the night markets).

The job situation is tricky at the moment as far as I can tell. I was in an 8 bed dorm with 6 long termers. 2 were struggling to get more than 20 hours a week, 1 was at the point where he was considering bar work in a gay bar, 1 had regular hours and the other 2 never seemed to work but didn't seem bothered. I'd agree with dnpixel about the agency idea. I overheard others giving that advise as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

Sweet cheers folks,

Looking at a few agencies now, see if can get some info off them. Was hopin maybe to get some work in the fisheries or somethin so i can go for my second WHV, anyone tried gettin any work in that field??

Advertisement