Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introduction to Choral works

Options
  • 09-05-2010 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Every so often when I flick onto Lyric fm I hear some great choral music. Not the Halleluiah type church music (although I do understand that much of it was written for church) but minor key sounding dark and ominous stuff.

I never have listened to any of this stuff and would have no idea where to start.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Unaccompanied (a capella) is, in my opinion, the best kind of choral music, but you can't beat a bit of Verdi on a Sunday:

Listen to the rest of the Requiem if you get a spare hour. Phenomenal mix of Opera sensibilities (above), with sacred music (Agnus Dei). The Libera Me is also a personal favourite:

I still get shivers of excitement at the thought of singing it. Excellent way of starting a fugue.

Everyone loves this one: :D

If you want REALLY dark.....look no further than Ligeti's Requiem. Here's the Lux Aeterna. I really want to sing this in a choir sometime:

As Horowitz would say..."very scary music!!"

Now, I'm going to inundate you with gorgeous music I recently sang at a gig in Maynooth!

Lauridsen's O Magnum Mysterium. As a lecturer put it..."like stepping into a hot bath"

Duruflé. Great singing on this recording actually....

Britten. This is a tough piece to get into, but rewarding. Starts about halfway through the piece, after a tenor solo.

We finished with this Whitacre piece.

Great choral piece with 'pop' sensibilities. I find people either hate him or love him. I love it.

Hope you enjoy at least one of these! :)

PS, just listening to this as I saw your post, pretty nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Bruckner's Motets are absolutely wonderful, particularly:
    'Christus Factus Est'
    'Os Justi'
    'Locus Iste'
    'Ave Maria'
    'Vexilla Regis'

Also try Arvo Part:
    'De Profundis'
    'Solfeggio'
    'Da Pacem Domine'

Some quite dark ones in there, you should like 'em!

Also try Dvorak's Mass in D, and Fauré's Requiem

Ah crap, Bruckner! I KNEW there was someone I was forgetting!! Definitely one of the best choral composers ever, knew exactly how to write for a choir.

Oh! And Rachmaninov's Vespers.....could go on forever I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I came across this Thomas Tallis piece at this installation in New Zealand. Think it's very atmospheric for it's time (1573), more like something Arvo Part would come up with (but I know very little about choral).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Ah I find Bruchner really boring to be honest,
    I've sung Locus Iste (Bass) like 50 times and I'm still not a huge fan.
    +1 for Whitacre and Pärt though! Also can't beat a good bitta Górecki when the time is right.

Will post more later (battery low) =).

Edit.

One of my favourite Whitacre Pieces; 'Water Night'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOYey4kGSq8

Whitacre conducts his debut choral work 'Cloudburst'
    The rain part always gives me the shivers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zqp0OpzMAI

Górecki - 'Totus Tuus'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT-fogvEMTs

Came across this guy last year, Very nice.
    Not one of his best works but cool none the less.
    Lukaszewski - 'Ave Maria'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lacvoa4xwmQ

• Advertisement

If you want REALLY dark.....look no further than Ligeti's Requiem. Here's the Lux Aeterna. I really want to sing this in a choir sometime.

Good luck man, it's for like 16 solo parts, each one at a semitone to each other, I'd say the tuning would be fierce difficult!
    Jaypors
    etc.
    :D

Have you sang any of Bruckner's other pieces? :P

Yeah, the Ligeti would be mad hard, but it sounds so cool!!! :D

That Tallis piece is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Brahms' Deutsches Requiem is pretty rad.

Have you sang any of Bruckner's other pieces?

No I havn't had the chance really, but I remember seeing his symphony No.4 in the concert hall and I was almost falling asleep the whole way through! 'T'was a shame, but I just didn't like hearing the same theme 30 times in different 'variations', once or twice is enough I think. So me and Bruckner are not on speaking terms =P

Arvo Pärt - 'Magnificat'. Quite a dark and powerful work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbxnnC22gwY&feature=related

Ohoh, BTW there's one of the best choirs in Dublin performing tomorrow night in the Pro Cathedral!

The Mornington singers present......
    A Midsummer Night's Dream (Sat 15th May 2010, 8pm)

Program includes

Veljo Tormis - Jaanilaulud (St. John's Day Songs)
    Pēteris Vasks - Mate Saule (Mother Sun)
    Eric Whitacre - Sleep, This Marriage, Water Night
    Arvo Pärt - ... which was the son of...
    James MacMillan - The Gallant Weaver, A Child's Prayer
    David Lang - Again (After Ecclesiastes)

I can't go =(,
    but it should be great!

http://www.morningtonsingers.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Norrdeth wrote: »
    Ohoh, BTW there's one of the best choirs in Dublin performing tomorrow night in the Pro Cathedral!

Thanks for the plug! Still on a buzz after that concert...it was a good sing.

I just happened across this thread tonight. I'm loving all the youtube clips.

-Doug

Hey no probs, I was there last year and it was so good that I bought the 'Solas' CD.

Keep up the good work! =D
    Ben.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

Norrdeth wrote: »
    +1 for Whitacre and Pärt though!

One of my favourite Whitacre Pieces; 'Water Night'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOYey4kGSq8

Probably worth pointing out that this is the title track on a new CD released by the Mornington Singers who are also mentioned earlier in the thread (declaration of interest - I sing with the choir.).

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

'Heard excerps from Pendereckis St Lukes Passion on Lyric in the car one night......scary, brilliant stuff. Would love to get to a Penderecki concert or even sing in a choral work. Enjoy.

I got to sing his Benedictus in September....conducted by the man himself!!! Excellently written, very flowing, a joy to sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

Faure's Requiem is the most beautiful and haunting work ever. I have sung it numerous times now including the Royal Albert and its defiantly worth a listen

Advertisement