Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with a Bichon Frise?

Options
  • 09-05-2010 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting one. I've met a few and they were really sweet and lovely, and I've read about them, but anything special I should know about them?

I heard they're very healthy dogs, but any problems they have?

I've done a grooming course so I can trim her myself and all and I have 3 Cavaliers to keep her company.

I was thinking about getting another Cav but my mom suggested a Bichon and I love them so thought why not. Would you recommend a Bichon or something else?

(Btw, I know people might suggest I adopt a dog instead, but I want a specific breed and I want a puppy because I have cats, rabbits and guinea pigs. And trying to get an adult dog to get used to rabbits and guinea pigs sounds like a nightmare. I'd also be afraid of dogs breaking into one of the runs that's not that strong, especially if the dog had a bit of terrier in it. And my cats would probably all run away if I came home with a strange adult dog! Also my dogs hate a lot of breeds of dogs! :rolleyes: But would be fine with a pup, and I know Bichons are really sweet and get on well with Cavaliers. And my dogs like other dogs with dropped ears, and hate pointy eared dogs, seriously!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

cavs are fussy :D,they like small cute dogs!
    you should have no prob with a bichon.
    although if you have 3 cavs already you might aswell go for a complete set(if thier all diferent colours)Maybe a full brown one?

if you can id try and get a rescue.

I dont know if your based in dublin,but try dogs in distress(they opearate out of ashton)
    www.dogsindistress.org
    thiers a lovely Maltese thier.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Helium

We have a Bichon (9 months) and are so happy with him. A real family house dog and very easily toilet trained.Haven't had any problems thankfully just make sure to keep all innoculations up to date especially with other dogs around.
    They do not like being left alone for too long but not a problem with you as sounds like he'll have lots of company.Had our lad groomed and nails clipped (seem to grow quickly)this week which should be done by a professional i think,grooming yourself is fine when you know how too.

I would say try and get one from a reputable breeder as this is a breed that rouge breeders have latched onto.

Like i say a pleasure to own and really become one of the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

The Cav I'm missing is the black and tan :) I really want the full set, but black and tan's are hard enough to find, and I'd want to find a really really good one. Like bred properly and registered and everything. And I can't travel far because I don't drive so I have to convince someone to take me to get the puppy! So I thought I might just go for a Bichon right now because there's lots of them around, and one day get the black and tan. I'd like to breed Cavs one day, but to really do it properly, so I'll wait til I find a really good one and have the money and space to breed them and everything.

Awww I'd try to adopt that Maltese if I was in Dublin! I'd probably buy a Maltese if they weren't so expensive. But I'm in Cork anyway. It's hard enough to find dogs like Cavs and Bichons in rescue, they get snapped up. There were two Cavs in DAWG (now they're booked) that I really wanted, but they were for an indoor home only and my dogs are outdoors (though I do spend lots of time with them). And if I got a cross then I'd be worried that it might be part terrier. No offense to terriers, but them and small animals might not mix well.

And also I live with my parents and they said I can adopt kittens and puppies if I want but no adult animals, because they "won't get on". Though an adult Cavalier or something would be no problem. And they let me adopt an adult guinea pig :D

When I have my own place and hopefully a big enough garden then I'll probably try to adopt either a Springer or a Golden Retriever or a cross because you see them in rescues lots and they're lovely.

But for now I want to just buy a puppy. And my mother knows a woman who's a vet nurse and breeds Bichons, so I'd know where to get a good one. I'll definitely go to a good breeder anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

My girlfriend has one and they are fantastic dogs. Very friendly and also they don't shed their coats.

Important to make sure they are kept in company because they get lonely and this is reflected in their behaviour

• Advertisement

Helium wrote: »
    We have a Bichon (9 months) and are so happy with him. A real family house dog and very easily toilet trained.Haven't had any problems thankfully just make sure to keep all innoculations up to date especially with other dogs around.
    They do not like being left alone for too long but not a problem with you as sounds like he'll have lots of company.Had our lad groomed and nails clipped (seem to grow quickly)this week which should be done by a professional i think,grooming yourself is fine when you know how too.

I would say try and get one from a reputable breeder as this is a breed that rouge breeders have latched onto.

Like i say a pleasure to own and really become one of the family.

Mine will have lots of company from the other dogs anyway, and I spend a few hours a day with them. I've done a fetac course on dog grooming anyway, I did a few Bichons during the year. It's a lot of work to groom them, but worth it :D The worst thing is that if their hair is a bit tangled, they usually cry lots when you're brushing them, but one of my dogs is the same, a complete baby!

Yeah I've noticed how many of them there are around, and some don't really look like they're bred right, so you wonder what the breeders are like. :rolleyes:

swingking wrote: »
    My girlfriend has one and they are fantastic dogs. Very friendly and also they don't shed their coats.

Important to make sure they are kept in company because they get lonely and this is reflected in their behaviour

The non shedding is handy, since I've just started to get allergies recently to the animals! and hay that I keep my rabbits/guinea pigs on. I think just form having too many animals around :rolleyes:

I'm off college til september now and only work a few hours a week, so the puppy will get loads of attention everyday all summer, and then when I have college I still spend 1.5-2 hours a day with the dogs, and more of weekends. And she'll have my dogs to look after her, so hopefully she'll be ok. :)

id imagine id would be harder to get a puppy to fit in with all the rabits etc

how about a shih tzu....
    http://www.irishanimals.ie/corkkerry_homes.html
    elvis is near the top of the page

I find that puppies grow up with the rabbits/guinea pigs/cats so they just get used to them easily, and can easily be trained to be nice to them. An adult dog won't know at the start that they're part of the family, and not for eating/chasing, so they might try to hurt them. I guess they'd eventually get used to them but I don't know how long it would take. And like the run we have on the grass is not the strongest. I wouldn't leave a dog that I didn't know that well around it. It's not really dog proof.

And my oldest dog is a bit dominant, and I'm not sure how she's accept another adult dog. She loves some breeds like other Cavs, and I would adopt an adult Cav, but they're hard to find in rescues, and I'd have to try to convince my parents, so probably wouldn't happen. And a few of my cats are very nervous, were abandoned/feral etc, and would freak out if I brought an adult dog home, but they have no problems with puppies.

I don't really like Shih Tzus (sometimes, some are nice though, so sorry if anyone owns Shuh Tzus) but I'll keep my eye out on Irish Animals for other dogs that might be suitable. I always check there every week or so, but never really see any ones that would work for us. :(

I'd love to adopt a rescue dog really, I have rescue cats and now my guinea pig, but I don't really see it working out right now. I might try to do some fostering or something though soon. Trying to convince my parents at the moment to let me foster kittens sometimes, since I was talking to the ISPCA inspector about it.

See aswell I can only get a small dog because my garden is only smallish and the fence is only a few foot high, but I don't really want a lot of breeds of small dog . . . either a Cavalier or a Bichon, I like a few others but they're not really likely to be found in rescues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Skin skin skin are the big issues with bichons. And ears problems. The ears are not a major problem but if they get skin issues it can be expensive! Other than that they are a lovely dog. But yappy for my taste but cute and very friendly!

ill keep an eye out for one and let you know if i spot any.
    youll have a hard time finding one if you just limit yourself to cork.
    you could travel by train or bus?(ive had no objections any time ive done it)

Jules wrote: »
    Skin skin skin are the big issues with bichons. And ears problems. The ears are not a major problem but if they get skin issues it can be expensive! Other than that they are a lovely dog. But yappy for my taste but cute and very friendly!

Oh yeah, I've had to pluck the hair out of their ear canals in college, and they cry so much! Though it can't be as painful as they make it out to be . . . :)

I don't really like yappy dogs either, hopefully I can train my one not to be! . . . .

ill keep an eye out for one and let you know if i spot any.
    youll have a hard time finding one if you just limit yourself to cork.
    you could travel by train or bus?(ive had no objections any time ive done it)

But wouldn't the rescue shelters have to do homechecks and everything? I really don't think I'd find one that's suitable for us, since I have been checking irish animals all the time for like the past year. Then even if I did I'd have to convince my parents to let me get one that was an adult.

And this sounds bad, but I'm not sure that I would pass a homecheck. My dogs are all well looked after, but my garden is small and they might think I already have enough pets as it is. And I don't have a proper job so they might think I won't have enough money. When I go back to college I'll be at college all day and I'm the only one in the family who looks after them. And I don't let them indoors at all. I do spend lots of time with them, but some rescues don't think that is enough. And I'm breeding rabbits so they'd probably not be impressed by that. And I'm only 22 and I can imagine they'd think that I'm just getting way too many animals (I have 20 right now . . . ) and that I can't handle it. But really I am completely dedicated to them.

I did get a homecheck for the guinea pig I adopted last week, but the woman was really really nice, and that was for a guinea pig, not a dog . . . so I think some rescues wouldn't think it'd be a good enough home.

When I move out of home then I'll definitely adopt a rescue dog like a Springer or retriever, but for now I think buying a puppy is the best option for me. I know getting a rescue is the best option if possible, but I don't really think it'd work right now for me.

wow 20 :eek:
    the dogs arnt aloud in the house at all?why?
    out of interest how many dogs have you got.

as far as im aware its up to the rescue agency to do the home checks (they come to you)im not sure about the pound.(id imagine you could pick the dog up on the day,given they put most of them down within 3-4 days as they cant look after them :mad:)

In a homecheck they just come by look at were the dogs will live,and as long as the garden is safe thats okay,dogs like cavs sleep all day and dont really need a back garden.just somewere to go to the toilet:P.as long as thier taken for a daily walk that would be fine.

if you cant afford to get another dog then really you shouldnt get one.
    a small dog(food wise) costs about the same as an orange less than a euro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry but a Bichon is not a breed that should be kept outdoors so i would highly reconsider as if its not allowed indoors then its not a breed you should get and no breeder would home/sell a Bichon to a home where its kept outside.

if you really want to get another one,why not go down to cork dog pound.
    IM 100% SURE YOULL FIND ATLEAST ONE DOG THIER YOULLL FALL IN LOVE WITH

wow 20 :eek:
    the dogs arnt aloud in the house at all?out of interest how many dogs have you got.

as far as im aware its up to the rescue agency to do the home checks (they come to you)im not sure about the pound.(id imagine you could pick the dog up on the day,given they put most of them down within 3-4 days as they cant look after them :mad:)

In a homecheck they just come by look at were the dogs will live,and as long as the garden is safe thats okay,dogs like cavs sleep all day and dont really need a back garden.just somewere to go to the toilet:P.as long as thier taken for a daily walk that would be fine.

youll pass a homecheck.

if you cant afford to get another dog then really you shouldnt get one.
    a small dog(food wise) costs about the same as an orange less than a euro

Well 20 sounds like a lot, but that includes the rabbits and guinea pigs and cats, and 4 of the baby rabbits are going to new homes soon. :)

I only have 3 dogs. I can afford another one, just thinking that a rescue might assume that I can't.

My dogs aren't allowed in the house at all. So they really do need a garden (and get walks and to run in the fields). I live with my parents and they only let the cats inside. The dogs were inside in my old house, but they preferred to be outside anyway. Then we moved house and my parents didn't want them in the new house. The dogs don't mind though, I spend loads of time outdoors looking after all 20 of the animals :P When I had just the first one, she loved being indoors all day, but then when we got the other two, she wanted to be outside playing all day, and I had to literally drag them into the house at night, and they'd run out in the morning. They love being outdoors. When I have my own place I'll let them in in the evening and nighttime, at least to a few rooms.

I figure that a rescue from somewhere up the country really wouldn't do a homecheck in Cork, and it's unlikely I'll find a dog that I really want in Cork or even Munster.

I know I'm being pretty fussy, but I'm not just thinking "I only want a pretty puppy", I'm thinking of my other animals, the temperament, and the space that I have. The cats and smallies come before the dogs usually! Poor dogs, the only thing they ever get given out to about is when they're annoying the other animals. But you have to think about the rabbits and guinea pigs, and even kittens, they're very vulnerable, I'm very protective of them. My sister's dog, a few years ago, accidentally hurt one of my kittens, and it had brain damage and had to be put down at only 5 weeks old, so I'm very wary of the possibility of dogs hurting the other animals.

if you really want to get another one,why not go down to cork dog pound.
    IM 100% SURE YOULL FIND ATLEAST ONE DOG THIER YOULLL FALL IN LOVE WITH

I might fall in love with one, but I have to be practical too with what kind of dog I get.

And my friend got a dog there that died of parvo shortly afterwards. :(

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but a Bichon is not a breed that should be kept outdoors so i would highly reconsider as if its not allowed indoors then its not a breed you should get and no breeder would home/sell a Bichon to a home where its kept outside.

Why can't they be kept outdoors? Are they very sensitive to the cold, or is it just that they need a lot of attention and company? Because I will give it a lot of attention and it will have the company of three other dogs and also 5 cats that love dogs.

I mean Cavaliers are a breed that need a lot of companionship too, but they are very happy all being together all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

morganafay wrote: »
    Why can't they be kept outdoors? Are they very sensitive to the cold, or is it just that they need a lot of attention and company? Because I will give it a lot of attention and it will have the company of three other dogs and also 5 cats that love dogs.

I mean Cavaliers are a breed that need a lot of companionship too, but they are very happy all being together all day.

They are a toy breed which are not suited to outdoor living at all, esp when its any way cold. No toy breed is suited for outdoor living tbh, they are only really suitable for indoor living and certainly not outdoors if its cold. I wouldnt even leave my rottweiler outside in the cold so a toy breed is not suitable at all so i would urge you to reconsider if this is the case. As i said, no breeder would home a Bichon that will be living outside full time.

Did you leave the dogs outside in the height of all the snow and ice this year?

andreac wrote: »
    They are a toy breed which are not suited to outdoor living at all, esp when its any way cold. No toy breed is suited for outdoor living tbh, they are only really suitable for indoor living and certainly not outdoors if its cold. I wouldnt even leave my rottweiler outside in the cold so a toy breed is not suitable at all so i would urge you to reconsider if this is the case. As i said, no breeder would home a Bichon that will be living outside full time.

Did you leave the dogs outside in the height of all the snow and ice this year?

Yeah I did and they were fine. Their kennel is in a shed, and they have their fur at its full length. Plus they sleep in a big pile keeping each other warm. They're used to being outside. I have to disagree with you on that one, I think that dogs are fine outdoors all year in Ireland. Maybe some breeds aren't, like greyhounds, tiny yorkies and chihuahuas, chinese crested . . . but I think Cavaliers are just fine, and Bichons are about the same size.

I actually took my dogs out playing in the snow and they weren't one bit bothered by it. Except when I took them into the fields and the snow got stuck in the feathering on their legs and I had to carry them home! (with the help of my brothers).

I really think they're fine outside so we'll have to agree to disagree.

My vet has been here and so has the ISPCA inspector who was here last week, and they seemed to think it was fine. I also know people who work in rescue who keep their dogs outdoors 24/7, even last winter. And my teacher is a vet nurse and has boarding kennels and always says "all dogs should be outside day and night, except hairless ones. If they have a draft-free shed, they'll be fine."

rabbits,guniea pigs are kept ina little pen arnt they they dont run around the garden freely.if thier properly enclosed,the cavs cant go near them, they wouldnt harm them anyway.

3 dogs isnt alot really,I know its your parents house,but why do they not alow the dogs in the house,cavs are very very clean dogs,apart from a bit of shedding,(which can be annoying when thier puppys but will stop when their older)im sure your parents will agree to this as long as youll say youll do the hoovering.

do they not like the dogs?why are they cats aloud around the house

I presume you have a very small room before you go out in the garden,and ideal place for dogs to sleep,keeps them out of the cold,if not they can sleep in your bedroom in their bed in the corner of the room?

im not saying its wrong to keep them outside
    but i know mine are very sensitive to the cold,you can see them shivering when it gets cold.

All a cav really wants to do is cuddle up and sit on your lap.

I might fall in love with one, but I have to be practical too with what kind of dog I get.

And my friend got a dog there that died of parvo shortly afterwards. :(

im sure thier are plenty of small cute dogs that wont scare you cavs up at the pound.(bring them up for and talk a dog out for a walk)

well atleast for that short period of time the dog was cared and loved for.had your freind not taken him/her it would of been put down.

rabbits,guniea pigs are kept ina little pen arnt they they dont run around the garden freely.if thier properly enclosed,the cavs cant go near them, they wouldnt harm them anyway.

3 dogs isnt alot really,I know its your parents house,but why do they not alow the dogs in the house,cavs are very very clean dogs,apart from a bit of shedding,(which can be annoying when thier puppys but will stop when their older)im sure your parents will agree to this as long as youll say youll do the hoovering.

do they not like the dogs?why are they cats aloud around the house

I presume you have a very small room before you go out in the garden,and ideal place for dogs to sleep,keeps them out of the cold,if not they can sleep in your bedroom in their bed in the corner of the room?

I really wouldn't trust my dogs with the smallies. I wouldn't trust any dog with them. I wouldn't even trust my dogs with them. And if I got an adult dog I wouldn't trust it not to break open the hutches and runs. You can never be too careful. I know my dogs won't do that because they've grown up with them, and a puppy could get used to them. But if I got a dog as an adult, I imagine it would be very interested in getting in to them.

There's no convincing my parents on that. They like the dogs, but they don't love them. My mother's not really an animal person. She tolerates them. But they're my pets.

And one of my dogs is completely mad! She'd destroy the place. And if you bring her in she'll be mad to get back out. The other two will just go to sleep. I had them in when my parents were away and they've completely forgotten their house training of course. And one of them was never very good and took ages to housebreak. Even now she'll poop in the shed if it's raining! And my dogs love running in the fields and getting pretty muddy. I'm sure that wouldn't work well with the cream couches! My parents let the cats in because cats are quiet and clean (except my mad kitten!). My dogs are lively and dirty (well compared to cats, they're well groomed and washed every 6 weeks, but still have doggy smell and muddy paws sometimes of course).

I could let the dogs sleep in the utility room, but I know from my own house, they're actually happier to sleep outdoors where they have the chance to run around if they want during the night.

I knows Cavs love cuddles on the couch, but they have to make do with cuddles outdoors :) I do spend lots of time outdoors with them. They're really happy dogs, I promise you.

It's not like they are just pets that I leave out in the garden. Animals are the most important thing in my life, and I am dedicated to them. I'm outside playing with them everyday, walking them, grooming them. Every bit of money I have I spend on something for them or the other animals.

im not saying its wrong to keep them outside
    but i know mine are very sensitive to the cold,you can see them shivering when it gets cold.

All a cav really wants to do is cuddle up and sit on your lap.

My old Cav (who was indoors) used to shiver outside too. But these ones are used to it. They're fine, they've loads of fur! I really can tell they're happy outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I'm thinking about getting one. I've met a few and they were really sweet and lovely, and I've read about them, but anything special I should know about them?

My Mum has a Bichon. Great dogs - very friendly. The only thing about them is that you need to groom them for 10 minutes every day as their coat can get knotted very easily.

They are house dogs so not sure how one would fare outdoors. Need alot of attention and human company.

My Mum's Bichon licks the face off every dog and person he meets! Super friendly!

im sure thier are plenty of small cute dogs that wont scare you cavs up at the pound.(bring them up for and talk a dog out for a walk)

It's really not about being cute. I guess it sounds like I just want a cute dog because I like Cavaliers, and I like Bichons. But that's because they have amazing temperaments, and are a good size for me. I like cute dogs, but temperament comes first.

The main thing is that an adult dog would scare my cats. I can't imagine them accepting it. And it would be risky with the smallies. My dogs could get used to any other dog I'm sure, but it'd be extremely hard to get the cats used to one, and to get the dog used to the small animals. Even an adult Cavalier would probably want to eat them, even mine probably want to eat them! And a determined dog could break into a hutch or run. But it's easy to get a puppy to get used to them.

I'm not anti-adopting dogs, but there are a lot of things to consider. I've thought about it a lot, and don't know if it's possible. And even if I found one I wanted, I'd have to convince my parents, cos afterall, it's their house, and they're not in favour of my getting an adult dog. I'll just have to adopt rescued kittens and small animals, which I have and will continue to do!

• Advertisement

paultf wrote: »
    My Mum has a Bichon. Great dogs - very friendly. The only thing about them is that you need to groom them for 10 minutes every day as their coat can get knotted very easily.

They are house dogs so not sure how one would fare outdoors. Need alot of attention and human company.

My Mum's Bichon licks the face off every dog and person he meets! Super friendly!

I know about the grooming, that's the thing I say to everyone who wants a Bichon too! But I'm used to it! I have three Cavaliers, a longhaired cat, lionhead rabbits and now a longhaired guinea pig! So I'm always grooming animals :D

Advertisement