Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with a Bichon Frise?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

fair play.
    I dont have rabbits
    id just pressumme rabbits guniea pigs wouldnt need alot of 1attention 24/7,just putting down the hayekeeping pen tidy,

the dogs get on well with the cats?cavs are okay with cats from what ive seen

were as cavs are really a very social dog breed(so to are bichon frise) they require alot of human attention.

id just suggest the dogs are happy thier cause they donnt know any diferent,youve kept them outside all thier lives(I presume youve had them since they were pups
    you bring them inside and they dont know what to do cause their not used to it.you cant expect a dog to be house traind when their never in the house.

given a chance id say the cavs and the cats would sleep together happily in the one bed

my cavs wont buge from when they go to bed till about 10 the next morining,they get a bit moody if they havnt had a good nights sleep(over 12 hours):P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

fair play.
    I dont have rabbits
    id just pressumme rabbits guniea pigs wouldnt need alot of 1attention 24/7,just putting down the hayekeeping pen tidy,

the dogs get on well with the cats?cavs are okay with cats from what ive seen

were as cavs are really a very social dog breed(so to are bichon frise) they require alot of human attention.

id just suggest the dogs are happy thier cause they donnt know any diferent,youve kept them outside all thier lives(I presume youve had them since they were pups
    you bring them inside and they dont know what to do cause their not used to it.you cant expect a dog to be house traind when their never in the house.

given a chance id say the cavs and the cats would sleep together happily in the one bed

Rabbits and guinea pigs need a lot of attention if you want them to be tame. You could just clean them out and all that, but they'll be wild if you do. I've found from having ones since their birth, they need some handling every day to get them tame and to keep them tame. They also enjoy it, the same as dogs, just to break up the day and make life a bit more interesting I guess. Some of mine really love having cuddles, being groomed, eating treats out of your hands, and all that. :)

My dogs love my cats. But they've grown up with them. One that hadn't grown up with them might not? And I know that when I first got dogs, my cats freaked out, and they were just puppies. The cats I have now have grown up with dogs though. If someone comes over with an adult dog though, they take off down the fields! Or the same if a dog wanders into our front garden.

Cavs are really social, mine love attention. Besides their walking and grooming, they get cuddles and playtime twice a day, more during the weekends and holidays, and then I'm outside for quite a while with the other animals, cleaning out all the hutches and all, so the dogs get less direct contact during that time. If I don't go out to them in the morning, if I'm really busy or something, then they'll bark because they expect me to go play with them. :) But I usually get up an hour early in the morning to spend time with them before college and then spend time with them afterwards. And on weekends spend loads of time with them. And I have all summer now to spend time with them.

I know it's not the ideal situation, and it's good to have dogs inside too, but I can honestly say my dogs are very happy. I think I look after them fine and could look after another dog no problem.

my cavs wont buge from when they go to bed till about 10 the next morining,they get a bit moody if they havnt had a good nights sleep(over 12 hours):P

Lol, my dogs must stay awake all night watching cats coming and going I'd say, because they sleep all afternoon! Even when I'm outside they'll run around with me for about an hour and then all go to sleep again, usually on top of me!

sounds like they have loads of fun.

id just suggest going to the pound first.
    take one of your dogs up and see who they get along with
    youll be giving the dog a 2nd chance that it may not get

regardless of weather its a pup or and adult dog it will take time for your cats to get used to them.once their used to their surroundings,and youtell the what they can or cant do it wont be much of a difference.adult dogs are much more calmer and placid then puppies oi imop i think it would be easier.

• Advertisement

I know puppies are more hyper and all, but for a small dog, the puppy will be very small, so they're not a problem. My cats never had any problem getting used to puppies, so hopefully it'll be ok. One of the cats is cranky so she'll just get annoyed at the puppy but everything annoys her :)

I'd love to give another dog a second chance if I could. What I'd really love to do is buy ex-breeding Cavaliers from bad situations . . . I've even discussed that with my parents but I won't be able to do it til I have my own place. But then I'm definitely going to get one. It'd be really great to look after them and get them back to good health and happiness.

you might be interested in this
    http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/adoption.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭boomchicawawa

We have a bicheon, we love him to bits but they are very needy, i think they gave the name to the origional lap dog cos thats where he is happiest! Because you have other dogs this may not be an issue, the other probs have been covered, grooming and ear problems. We have had him at the vet because of his ears on numerous occassions. Our dog is very passive but our relatives have one too and he is the opposite...he barks at the slightest noise day and night, and he has the most horrible bark :eek:.....they had a problem with his needyness too as origionally someone was in the house all day with him and then after a year he was on his own in the morning and he was really unhappy. Our dog was on his own in the morning from the start and he is quite happy, he just curls up and naps through.....we got our dog through daft.ie from a wicklow breeder and she was gr8 for advice and after service...good luck

Oh she is lovely. I'm going to email them about her. I know for their other Cavaliers on there it said an indoor only home but I'll see . . . That's the fourth Cavalier they've had recently, strange.

We have a bicheon, we love him to bits but they are very needy, i think they gave the name to the origional lap dog cos thats where he is happiest! Because you have other dogs this may not be an issue, the other probs have been covered, grooming and ear problems. We have had him at the vet because of his ears on numerous occassions. Our dog is very passive but our relatives have one too and he is the opposite...he barks at the slightest noise day and night, and he has the most horrible bark :eek:.....they had a problem with his needyness too as origionally someone was in the house all day with him and then after a year he was on his own in the morning and he was really unhappy. Our dog was on his own in the morning from the start and he is quite happy, he just curls up and naps through.....we got our dog through daft.ie from a wicklow breeder and she was gr8 for advice and after service...good luck

Yeah I heard they're very needy, but so are Cavaliers :)

• Advertisement

I showed the dog in DAWG to my parents and my dad was all in favour of it, my mom was just like, "oh". And then I emailed DAWG saying that I had other Cavaliers, a secure garden and all but that my dogs are outside, though in winter they could come in at night (my dad was saying earlier that if we have another bad winter the dogs can come into the utility room at night). But then I read on the adoption procedure page that they only rehome to homes where the dog can go inside.

:(

So looks like that won't work. When I have my own place it'd be no problem. But there's no convincing my mther about having dogs indoors. Especially not with Donna the hyper dog!

It sucks . . . when my friend got a dog from DAWG a few years ago there wasn't even a homecheck. Luckily her dog has a great home. But I'd give a dog a good home too (though some people on here mightn't think so since they're outdoors). :(

Anyway I won't have the intitial money to buy a dog for a little while, so I'll keep looking out I guess. (But for that one I would have found the money . . . )

Why wont your mom let the dogs inside exactly
    because thier hyper or the mess.

a young puppy is going to be hyper and excitable. cavs over 3+ would be possible the most docile placid dog you could get.

If the dog is hyper this can be solved by training and teaching the dog if necessary.usually a good 40 min walk or after play any cav will be zonked.

out of interest were do cats sleep?

the dogs wouldnt have to be keept indoors all day,just at night when it gets cold and sleeping.the utility room is ideal,put in a doggy flap and if they want they can go outside(youll soom find theyll get used to being indoor)

they dont even have to have full reign of the house limit their acess to only a couple rooms if that keep your mom happy.

the rescuegroup is just looking fora loving and caring home for the dog.

Why wont your mom let the dogs inside exactly
    because thier hyper or the mess.

a young puppy is going to be hyper and excitable. cavs over 3+ would be possible the most docile placid dog you could get.

If the dog is hyper this can be solved by training and teaching the dog if necessary.usually a good 40 min walk or after play any cav will be zonked.

out of interest were do cats sleep?

My dogs usually get muddy paws running in the fields, and one of them is hyper. My mom isn't an animal person really. That's just her personality, she's 8 now, but she's always been that way. She was raised with a hyper springer and I think she thinks she's a springer too! I dunno if training will help since that's just her personality I think.

My dad did say they can sleep inside in the winter. I was thinking if I got an extra large dog crate they could sleep in there and it'd help house train them again. (They all sleep on top of each other in a medium sized kennel anyway, even though we have 5 kennels.) But then I keep thinking wouldn't they be happier outdoors being able to do what they like at night, instead of being in a utility room or cage. I know from when I used to keep them in the utility room at night in the old house that they prefer being outside.

Two of the cats sleep in my bed (though sometimes one of those isn't around when I go to bring her in, so she sleeps with the dogs), one (the kitten) sleeps in the utility room, the other two sleep outside since they're nervous cats (one was abandoned, one was feral) and they only like coming into the conservatory when I'm around, but when on their own they prefer to be outdoors.

the dogs wouldnt have to be keept indoors all day,just at night when it gets cold and sleeping.the utility room is ideal,put in a doggy flap and if they want they can go outside(youll soom find theyll get used to being indoor)

they dont even have to have full reign of the house limit their acess to only a couple rooms if that keep your mom happy.

the rescuegroup is just looking fora loving and caring home for the dog.

I would let them have access to the downstairs which is all tiled anyway if it was my house, but it isn't so what can I do. My parents are good enough to let me have so many pets and let my cats indoors, so I don't blame them for drawing the line somewhere!

I was thinking of letting the dogs sleep inside (if I could convince my mother, since my dad seemed ok with the idea) just so I could try to adopt the dog. But then thought, well they'll probably find it a home they're happier with anyway. I'm sure a young cavalier will get snapped up. And I really do think my dogs would prefer to be outdoors at night. Even in the winter it doesn't seem to bother them. Donna is getting a bit old though (only eight but her joints are a bit stiff because she is always running around so much!) so maybe being inside in the winter at night would be good for her.

My dad said they should just come over and see how happy my dogs are and that they are well looked after. Which I think is true, they'd realise they're looked after if they just saw them and my other pets. My vet was here and she even said they're so healthy because they're kept outdoors and when Bella had stitches she said she won't chew them because "she's too busy with all her friends".

But I understand why they won't rehome to outdoor only homes. Because I guess a lot of people just leave their dogs out in the yard and forget about them. I'm not one of those people though. I'll admit when I was younger I didn't give them the time they needed always, during the winter anyway, but I do now. All last winter they got walked everyday unless it was lashing rain all day, if it stopped for half an hour I took them out though. And they have a shed so even if it's raining I spent time with them in the shed. They also got groomed at least once a week, and loads of playtime and everything. In the summer they get even more.

Advertisement