Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queenstown - Auckland via Christchurch, Wellington?

Options
  • 09-05-2010 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

Hi all,

Currently planning 3-4 weeks in NZ. Flying into Auckland, staying as long as the cash lasts (at the tail end of an 8 month trip) and considering the best options for cramming it all in in what I know is a limited time.

Has anyone done similar and if so do you have any tips or advice? Was thinking the logical thing would be to fly straight to Queenstown and make our way north back to Auckland where we fly out from.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭blue movie

I did a tour of the north and south island two years ago. I had very little money after Living it up in Sydney :D

What we did was Fly into christchurch spent two nights there and decided to rent a camper van and drive ourselves. Rented one cheap at http://www.spaceshipsrentals.co.nz/ it was great doing our own thing and visiting everywhere we wanted to see. The scenery we got too see too was amazing. Highlights for me were Franz Josef Glacier, QUEENSTOWN (a must), Lake Taupo and wannaka. It was pretty in expensive for the van and the fee for parking in campsites. The facilities were good too everywhere we parked up and we had two fussy girls with us too and they were happy with most places :D

It was the best 2 weeks of my RTW trip and always wish it was longer. For me driving from chirstchurch to auckland and seeing everything i wanted in between was the best option.

Hopefully that helps mate. I am pretty jealous of you have to say. Make sure you do the nevis Bungee jump in queenstown ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

Cool, we're in a similar situation except neither of us drive!! Sounds like a blast thought and I'm sure we can do the same thing on a bus ;-) cheers man!

Any more appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

Danny2580 wrote: »
    Cool, we're in a similar situation except neither of us drive!! Sounds like a blast thought and I'm sure we can do the same thing on a bus ;-) cheers man!

Any more appreciated!

Hummm not really sure you can do the same on a bus but your next best option would be the Magic Bus (bit like the Paddy wagon in Ireland but the Magic but maybe a bit older).
    Public transport in NZ is pretty crap. Flights are good but thats all.
    Another option would be to see if you could hook up with somone else who was travelling around and see if you could travel with them. I not sure how fair it is if you're not sharing the driving but you could say make all the meals to compensate. The hostels in say Auckland or Q'town will have notice boards and Im sure you'll get someone.
    Really everywhere is worth seeing. I would choose Wanaka over Queenstown and try to see Golden Bay sth Island and Gisbourne/Hawks Bay and Northland in the North Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭blue movie

well there are a number of bus tours like the mentioned magic bus. They all hit the main spots to see the only downside of them is not being able to suddenly decide you want to go somewhere different yourself or stop and explore somewhere thats not on the route but they are still good i am sure and have met a few people who say they were great.
    There is also the kiwi experience tour and the company that rent those campervans i mentioned earlier also do a bus tour called stray i think. They were in franz josef when we were there and it seemed like great craic.

Wannaka aand queenstown are great. I loved queenstown for the nevis bungee and did my skydive in wannaka. Great places.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

it's a pity you can't drive cos doing it by campervan is a really cool way. we did it for 5 weeks on both islands and the scenery in between places are amazing.

if you're getting a bus, check out reviews online beforehand and decide what type of crowd you want to stick with (depending on if you want to go out drinking every night or stick more to sightseeing etc).

the best spots are:

North Island:
    • Auckland
    • Rotorua
    • Taupo (DO A SKYDIVE!!!)
    • Tongariro
    South Island:
    • Marlborough Wine Region
    • Abel Tasman National Park
    • Franz Josef (DO A HELIHIKE!!!)
    • Fox Glacier
    • Wanaka
    • Queenstown (home of the nerve-shattering Nevis)
    • Milford Sound (the most amazing place on earth!)
    • Dunedin
    • Otago
    • Christchurch

Enjoy dude, i loved every minute of New Zealand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 oooomy

if you like rugby you'll probably make the ireland vs new zealand game on the 12th of june.
    Tickets are nearly sold out though - just the terrace left so better rush if you want to go. $40 a ticket not bad...
    http://www.ticketdirect.co.nz/

Advertisement