Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating fine but no hot water?

• 09-05-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

My heating seems to be working fine but It doesnt seem to be heating the water in the cylinder. For example heating on for 2 hours in morning still gives me cold water in the shower. If I put on the immersion the water heats no problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Qprmeath wrote: »
    My heating seems to be working fine but It doesnt seem to be heating the water in the cylinder. For example heating on for 2 hours in morning still gives me cold water in the shower. If I put on the immersion the water heats no problem.

For your central heating to heat your cylinder water, a valve must open to allow central heating water through a coil in the cylinder. It's as if there was an additional radiator in the cylinder with the central heating water flowing through it. The heat from the 'radiator' would, by direct contact with the cylinder water, heat that water.

Given that your central heating is working it seems clear that something's preventing the valve from opening: either a wall switch hasn't been switched. Or your central heating controller isn't programmed/switched correctly. Or the valve itself is bust and isn't opening the route into the cylinder, despite being told to by the controller/switch.

It depends, in other words.

Advertisement