Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet insurance ??

Options
  • 09-05-2010 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi just wondering about pet insurance,ive looked online and der seems to be so many to choose from i dont know where to start or wot type of premium to buy !!!!Any suggestions ppls:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭doggiewalker00

most vets seem to recommend alliance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Depends on the type of dog and so forth, you might shop around and see which one works out best, you need to see what the insurance covers, some cover more stuff than others.
    I'm with Allianz for my two Lhasas and that suits us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Pet Insure and Allianz are the two main ones, Argos is expensive and im not sure about 123.ie

What you need to look for is this - make sure its a cover for life, that if something happens and its a long term thing that they don't jsut cover it for 12 months. That the cover trips to the vet and medications. 3rd Party Liability. And she what there policy is for when the animal goes over 8/10 as they deduct more off what you can claim back after this age.

I'm with allianz aswell and never had an issue with them. Main thing you have to do is...
    read the small print

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Was wondering about this myself the last few days. I'm always hearing of people getting pet insurance and then when it comes down to them needing Vet treatment the insurance doesn't cover it so is it really worth getting? Example the dog has a minor infection, does it cover that? Does it cover him if he gets knocked down on the road and needs serious treatment? In other words does it cover the minor treatment and does it cover the very expensive treatment? From what I hear there's many loopholes so I'm wondering is a lot of it just a money making scam?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

pet insurance is worth it, allience is the best but they have been very picky i what there covering lately but just be sure there are no pre exisiting conditions eg eye infections or vominting as they will ot be covered .

Regular worm ,flea , vaccination are a must or they could not pay claim. 75 excess and they cover the rest but once over 9years its pay the excess plus 35% of the claim.

They do not cover flea, worm treatment , vaccinations and speying or neutering and dental treatment eg descale or polish any questions let me know i don not work for them but defo worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Thanks guys i tink ill check out alliance,can you pay monthly by direct debit??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Getting insurance for our puppy was a no-brainer for us. Our cat (rip :( ) died of kidney failure last year - he got approx €400 worth of treatment - they did everything they could do for him and we only had to pay the €75 excess.

A few weeks ago the puppy started limping. Brought him in - exam and medicine were €71 - if it didn't clear up he was to come back in a week. It didn't clear up and he had to get xrays and more medicine - to the cost of €230. Because I'd already paid the €71 all i had to do was make up the excess of €75 so glad we got the insurance.

We're with allianz and I've found them brilliant - you just sign a form in the vets and they fill the rest in and settle the bill with allianz. When your pet is sick/injured/dying the last thing you want to do is go filling in loads of forms and putting claims in etc - it's nice to have somebody else take care of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I can never understand how insurance companies make any money from pet insurance. Everyone I know who has it, claims on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

I'd definitely recommend anyone get pet insurance. I'm with Allianz, but you'll need to read up and figure out what's best for you.

For me I take care of the day-to-day stuff. Annual vaccines, flea and worm treatments, etc. If I make a claim I've to pay the initial €75.

A month after getting insurance my dog was in the garden and tripped off of a step, long story short she hurt a ligament in one of her hind legs.

Between the operation, follow ups, medication/painkillers, etc the total bill was nearly €800 but I'd to only pay €75.

It's worth EVERY cent! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Pet insurance doesnt cover the day to day stuff like, vaccines, worming and neutering/spaying so you have to cover the cost of that yourself anyway.

• Advertisement

Well my dog is a 2 year old boxer bitch,she has a heart murmer tho vet doesnt seems to tink its nutin to worry bout at the minute..i flea and worm her myself anyway im just wondering is it worthwhile getting it,as most of you tink it is im goin to go ahead and organise it:)Can you pay in montly instalments or is it a once a year payment ???

Sassy, just so you know, as the murmur is pre-exisisting, it wont be covered on the policy in future if there are any related illnesses to it that arise.

Yes, you can pay monthly alright, i do with Allianz.

Oh really so if she has any problems with her heart i wont be covered ???

She will be covered in general, but not for anything in relation to her heart condition as its pre exisiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

neelyohara wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend anyone get pet insurance. I'm with Allianz, but you'll need to read up and figure out what's best for you.

For me I take care of the day-to-day stuff. Annual vaccines, flea and worm treatments, etc. If I make a claim I've to pay the initial €75.

A month after getting insurance my dog was in the garden and tripped off of a step, long story short she hurt a ligament in one of her hind legs.

Between the operation, follow ups, medication/painkillers, etc the total bill was nearly €800 but I'd to only pay €75.

It's worth EVERY cent! :D

Have you renewed since then - has the policy gone up in price at all? Just wondering if this will happen with our guy when it's time to renew?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'm just in the process of renewing our pet insurance at the moment.

We're with Allianz and have been quite happy with them so far.

However, I have been looking around for options because the policy renewal document states that dogs must get the Kennel Cough Vaccine now too. I'm not too happy about this for a number of reasons (it's not very effective, my dog doesn't mix with many dogs, my vet doesn't recommend it and my dog will need to be sedated to get it as he goes crazy over it).

Unfortunately though, from what I can see, the other companies don't offer the same benefits and their prices are not that much less considering the reduced cover.

Advertisement