Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marshall TSL Problems...

• 09-05-2010 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Well guys, its finally happened. My super-reliable TSL head has finally started to give me some problems! :(

First up, random static and other crap noises, that can be fixed temporarily by slapping the top of the amp! (Very scientific way of fixing things, I know... :rolleyes:)

And second, my spring reverb is gone. And I mean gone. :(

Please guys, any ideas on whats causing these problems, and any solutions, would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Post it up here http://www.marshallforum.com/marshall-amps/

They were never good quality efforts by Marshall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭stephenshields2

Thanks mate, wil do!

No ideas yourself?

Thanks mate, wil do!

No ideas yourself?

9 times out of 10, is a pre amp valve gone or going.

If you had a spare new pre amp valve, change each one with the new one.

The reverb would run off one half of a pre amp valve also.

9 times out of 10, is a pre amp valve gone or going.

If you had a spare new pre amp valve, change each one with the new one.

The reverb would run off one half of a pre amp valve also.

Its been 5 years+ since the amp got a complete new set of valves, so maybe a new set is in order??

Hopefully, that will fix both problems!! :pac:

Its been 5 years+ since the amp got a complete new set of valves, so maybe a new set is in order??

Hopefully, that will fix both problems!! :pac:

Jayzus.........5 years.......

• Advertisement

Jayzus.........5 years.......

5 years+!!

We could be talking 7 or 8 years here!! :D

Any idea how much all the valves and the work will cost?

5 years+!!

We could be talking 7 or 8 years here!! :D

Any idea how much all the valves and the work will cost?

Try www.eurotubes.com to check out the sets for your amp.
    I don't like JJ valves anymore because they are not all that reliable.
    A set of Svetlana Winged C's EL34's for the power valve section and a combo of Electro Harmonix and Tungsol 12AX7's for the pre amps.

Probably €150 or so for full set.

Try www.eurotubes.com to check out the sets for your amp.
    I don't like JJ valves anymore because they are not all that reliable.
    A set of Svetlana Winged C's EL34's for the power valve section and a combo of Electro Harmonix and Tungsol 12AX7's for the pre amps.

Probably €150 or so for full set.

Thanks mate, great info!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

I wouldnt change the power valves by yourself unless you have previous experience (They are the bigger ones). Unless you get the exact set you were using before.

I changed out power valves to a slightly different model and melted the transformer in my amp. Cost a good bit to repair! Bring it to a pro for a rebias once you have the valves.

Preamp valves (small ones) are straightforward. You can hot swap them easily enough, just like changing a light bulb really. To pull them just wiggle it out with a slightly circular motion.. They are only around a tenner each and require no biasing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

Touch base with Marshall Ireland on the Forum, they look after Marshall in Ireland and can point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Marshall Ireland

Well guys, its finally happened. My super-reliable TSL head has finally started to give me some problems! :(

First up, random static and other crap noises, that can be fixed temporarily by slapping the top of the amp! (Very scientific way of fixing things, I know... :rolleyes:)

And second, my spring reverb is gone. And I mean gone. :(

Please guys, any ideas on whats causing these problems, and any solutions, would be greatly appreciated!!
    Hi Stephen
    I will contact you by PM and we'll get you're amp sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Marshall Ireland

You've seen how we QC then?

Failure rate is negligible and TSL was the flagship of the ninties. Extremely reliable.

Failure rate is negligible and TSL was the flagship of the ninties. Extremely reliable.

Thank you, Ive always considered my TSL to be very reliable!! :D

The power of the internet.........

The word on the street all over the net for years now, is that the DSL and TSL were not a great effort by Marshall. When i have time to look for quotes etc., i will post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

My 2c is that the vast majority of amps that people ask me to "have a look at" are DSLs and TSLs.
    It may be because they are popular, but I'm an independant individual who likes Marshalls and I do think early batches have a disproportionate failure rate.
    The 2000 to 2003 models had incorrect componant values, the PCB material itself was known to be problematic and other defects included the grounding scheme at the output jacks. The results of these issues are things like biasing problems, excessive hum, constant fuse blowing, OT failure, screen resistor failure and the little oscillation suppressor cap on one of the power valves burning up.
    In fairness these issues were resolved but once you get a reputation it tends to stick...
    Also I do think the amount of these early amps failing has become exaggerated on the web.

Advertisement