Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lasagne/Pasta Sauce Recipe

Options
  • 09-05-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have enough of the various jars of pasta sauce out there, and I want to make a go of creating a sauce from scratch.I looked up about two dozen online, and I have no idea what to choose from.Does anyone know a sauce recipe they want to share with me??
    Oh, btw, if anyone has a white sauce recipe for the lasagne, it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Most bolognaise sauce recipes should be o.k.

I make a big batch and freeze the left overs - but the quantities are easily reduced. I also try to add as much veg as I can to make it healthier.

1kg mince
    2 stick celery (diced)
    1 large carrot (diced)
    1 red pepper (diced)
    1pt beef stock
    1carton passata
    splash red wine
    salt
    pepper
    paprika
    nutmeg
    3 cloves garlic
    1 large onion
    1 tblsp sundried tomato paste
    (if I'm not freezing it I'll often add bacon lardons - don't freeze well cooked).

Saute onions and add garlic when onions are starting to smell. Fry till opaque.
    Add rest of veg and fry for about 5 mins.
    Transfer veg from pan into bowl
    Fry meat till brown
    Add in red win & sundried tomato paste.
    Add in rest of veg, paprika, pepper, passata. Add stock until liquid is just above level of meat.
    Bring to simmer and leave for about 1.5 hours (may need to top up stock)... alternatively put into oven at 180 deg for 1.5 hours.
    Take out of oven, add nutmeg, stir and season to taste.

Lasagne is easier to assemble if the meat has cooled a bit - so leave the sauce for about an hour to cool.

White Sauce:

I don't have a recipe for this but its:

Equal amount flour and butter (e.g. 4oz flour, 4oz butter)
    Milk
    Mustard
    Salt
    Pepper
    Nutmeg

Melt butter over a low - medium heat
    Add flour and combine until it looks like a very thick paste.
    Add a little milk and whisk until combined.
    Keep going until you have the required quantity
    Bring to boil to thicken - keep stiring/whisking else will go lumpy (whisk is better for this)
    Add mustard, salt & pepper to taste
    I often add in grated cheese at this point

To assemble simply layer bolognaise sauce, lasagne sheets and white sauce. Put in oven at 180 for 30mins. With 5 mins to go take out and sprinkle grated cheese on top. Put back in oven.

Serve with garlic bread and salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

pretty similar too the recipe I use with minor variations,Though I would say that I use 3 types off cheese too sprinkle on mine all with different properties,mozzerella,chedar,and parmasan.(oh and herbs,I use dried oregano and fresh basil in the sauce).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Lasagna is one of my 'stock' dinners when I've run out of ideas. I keep it simple, and it's well received.

I put in about 1/4lb - 100g of mince per person.
    Dry fry mince in a non-stick pot/pan. Add 1 chopped onion, chopped garlic and cook until onion is soft. Add in 1 tin tomatoes & squeeze tomato puree. Season & add in a few bay leaves, parsley, dried herbs - whatever I have in the press really. Meanwhile start your white sauce, butter + flour. Add in milk and I always use nutmeg too. I just use whatever cheese is there - cheddar mainly. Goats is also nice if I have some left over.

Layer it in a dish, I always put fresh spinach in the layers. It REALLY keeps it moist and just adds something extra. Cook for about 25 -30 mins @ 180. If you have the patience to leave it set, it will be nicer. But I can't bear to watch it sitting there without me eating it!

hmmm I must try the spinach,sounds nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

dubh101 wrote: »

It elevates it to a new level! I don't really know how - but it seems saucier & more flavoursome. And you don't even get to taste the spinach.
    Sometimes (if I have it) I'll lash in a grated carrot into the mince too.

• Advertisement

olaola wrote: »
    It elevates it to a new level! I don't really know how - but it seems saucier & more flavoursome. And you don't even get to taste the spinach.
    Sometimes (if I have it) I'll lash in a grated carrot into the mince too.
    ya grated carrot is good,smoked bacon is esential,a few dashes off lee and perrings is cool too.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dubh101 wrote: »

Nettles are really good used this way in a lasagne, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

Oh yeah! I've made nettle and ricotta cannelloni before - delicious! It's fairly important to get young nettle leaves though..

In terms of a lasange recipe (with bechamel instructions) mine is here: http://www.chilliandchocolate.com/recipe-lasange-al-forno/

It's a staple with Kelly and I - perfect with a light salad!

Advertisement